I can't decide

mank!

Part of the furniture
I played Warrior and beta and enjoyed it but the lack of ranged attacks got on my nerves. Despite being powerful at melee I couldn't successfully pull targets and when questing alone this was a bit of a difficulty. My original plan was to go for Paladin in retail and see how it goes but after reading up on the official website, I'm even more indecisive than before. I'm now torn between Paladin and Hunter as well as considering Druid for the animal forms. Basically I'm asking for some first hand experience, especially from people who have played more than one class. I realise each class has it's strengths, for example I'm keen on Paladin due to the wide range of weapons available, also being able to use mail armour straight away as well as the ability to heal yourself - something I really needed as Warrior - but again the lack of decent ranged weapons is a problem.

Furthermore, Druid appeals to me because it seems quite nicely rounded. You've got your default form for support, bear form for attack/damage and cat for stealthing with the ability to harm. Are the alternatives forms really any good? I've never played RPG's before and I've always been a pretty agressive player in FPS games so would I just get twatted as a Druid all the time?

As for Hunter, you can't get much better when it comes to ranged weapons can you? The ability to use guns/bows and having a pet to set on the enemy whilst I spam them from distance is quite a nice one to have. However, I have the same concerns as I do with Druid - the lack of mail armour until level 40 might not suit my agressive nature. Of all the classes I read on the official site, Hunter sounded the most fun to play but I'm not entirely sure it'd suit me.

Anyway, can anyone give me a bit of advice on each from personal experience? How do they compare if you've played one or more of the above? Shall I cancel my WoW order and go back to flailing around on Q2? :p

Ralgedi Smurf

One of Freddy's beloved
Warriors can use mail straight away aswell, and at lvl 10 you can buy gun skill and then you got a excelent weapon for pulling :)

And you say you are keen on paldadin cause they have a wide warity of weapons, but then again warriors can use more then paladins :)

mank!

Part of the furniture
I was a level 18 Warrior in beta and never realised I could learn how to use guns. How annoying.

I'd consider Warrior again but I also fancy trying something else in retail, but that does make me think. You still can't heal yourself, whereas Paladin can, which makes it inferior in my opinion.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
you sound like you want a bit of everything, the term jack of all trades master of none may be used but i think maybe a druid would be what you want.

tbh if your a druid you should be able to get groups quite easy

hunters.....i've not seen/played em high lvl but as narrow minded as this sounds surely a rogue will kick the crap out of a hunter. cant stealth neither

Gat_Decor

Fledgling Freddie
mank said:
You still can't heal yourself, whereas Paladin can, which makes it inferior in my opinion.

But mank thats where ppl like me come into the game to heal ;)

..... unless ur goin solo for a while :rolleyes:

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
mank said:
You still can't heal yourself, whereas Paladin can, which makes it inferior in my opinion.
You can always stun/hinder the opponent and use First Aid. :)

Mirari

Fledgling Freddie
mank said:

True, but on the other hand a warrior has a variety of styles which the paladin lacks.

Personally I've been going like a jojo between paladin and warrior, especially since I've tried them both and discovered that each of em has its qualities. Seeing all those vidds where paladins kick warriors arse unarmed IS a bit discouraging and kinda tips the scales to the paladins favor. And also (from what ive experienced) leveling as a warrior is much more challenging than with a paladin, since you aint got any divine protection/blessing of protection/instaheal/stun+heal to rely on if things go bad.

But im a sucker for dual wielding chars, they look immensely nice imo, so a warrior it is :worthy:

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Re Warriors, from what I have read, they are either played very well or incredibly badly (lots to do with understanding your own abilities and talents). I never saw you in action as your warrior Mank but the warriors I did group with over beta seemed to get used to their abilities relitively quickly (as quickly as anyone who is a born FPSer who hasn't played RPG for a long time), I did feel that because of beta neither were aware of the other things which can help the warrior, like first aid (a bit of a ball ache) but necessary to the warriors survival and the correct selection of talents.

i.e Tactical Mastery - allows you to keep rage when changing stances
Iron Will - gives you defense against stuns etc

As for other characters:

I played Druid in us open beta to lvl 18 and found the class was good to a point however I didn't play it for long enought to comment on whether it was a good class. Personally I didn't like it enough to want to play it in retail.

I played Mage in eu closed beta to 29 and absolutely loved it the damage it dealt was awesome, I found going solo not too much of an issue with the exeception of the down time to drink and eat. From that I decided I wanted to be able to do some damage but also heal myself and others, so I went on in eu open beta to play Shaman to level 36.

I have tried all classes (including warrior) to level 10 and I hated paladin, the rate at which it killed mobs was so damn slow and really quite boring, for me.

For retail, after much mulling around (between warlock and priest) I have decided to go with nelf priest on my main character and probably gnome warlock on an alt.

nocte

Fledgling Freddie
you said the lack of ranged (you didnt know about guns/bow/throwing) for a warrior discouraged you... well a pally has NO ranged attack/pulling method at all (unless you are fighting an UD mob).

Druid is a very well rounded class, but it it one of these classes where you have to know how to play it well otherwise you will get owned constantly.

Hunter is probably the best solo class in the game, it also has (so i am told) the 3rd highest DPS in the game, so can be wanted in groups as a DPS'er.

Go with what you want to play, not because you want to be uber etc... that way you will enjoy the game more.

SigvartH

Fledgling Freddie
Druide is the king of hybrid. Can do almost everything, and though some say dont do anything well. Druid is probably a underdog whom it might take some time too master. Since you are a grps wild card.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Thanks for the replies. Not being much of an RPG player, I think I'll put Druid to one side as I don't have the patience or skill to master it. How does the First Aid profession heal compare to the heal on the Paladin? I'm considering Warrior again now, but Hunter sounds increasingly interesting.

Decisions, decisions :|

Tharion

Fledgling Freddie
First Aid: you make bandages that you apply and its channeling, so you can't move, be in combat and stuff like that, it's like when you eat to gain back HPs. But its faster and more HPs, atleast at higher levels.
And I think it's on a 1min cooldown between bandage use.

mank!

Part of the furniture
hmmm, not bad...

I'm getting more and more indecisive :|

Tharion

Fledgling Freddie
I don't wanna say First Aid is a MUST for all classes who can't heal them self.
But it's a great trade to have, it helps with downtime, and if you are fighting lets say a paladin, when he uses his shield to heal you should use a bandage to get to full health as he can't interupt you and you can't interupt him.

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Hunter is a realy fun good class due to amount of tricks you get.

Easy to do quests with tracking (puts blips on your radar with names on, makeing tracking down named mobs easy), Speed boost, various types of traps, good defence with talents (Mine had had 20% evade @ 35) and charmable beast which you can name ;p.

Just a realy easy fun class to play solo, take leatherworking and you won't have a problem with armour and takeing fishing allows you to get food for your pet for free. No real down time if you pet can hold agro since you can heal it up pretty quick.

Only thing to remember is you need to charm new pets to learn new abilities for them (Detaunt=cower Growl=taunt Bite=Dam Add Claw=Dam Add). Can check hunter guides to find out what beasts have what skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom