Hunter bad or good?

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Im just about to go out and get my WoW copy, and at the moment, ive jujst become confused between a hunter and a gnome. i played both in beta, loved both, tho only played hunter to level 5 and rogue till lvl 14. ive heard at lvl 40-60 hunters suck at pve because there pets cant take agro and die very quickly, is this true? i know rogue does very cool damage (loved using duel wield + sinister strike then kick ass damage from eviscarate.

ill probably play both these class' in the end. but is it true what i heard about hunters? :( i was thinking night elf hunter (yeh there will b millions around, but only for the first few weeks till people decide they want to be uber leet and play a less played class (if u do, go for priest, there are alot ebtter than ud think, + at lvl 10 u can get that ability that gives u a chance to regenerate power at 50% increased speed, or is it 100%?)) anyway. HELP :D

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
hunter is highly underrated class for pvp - in the right hands it can be formidable, and solo PvE is is undoubtedly the best class

problems arise with how a hunter fits into a 5 man group and the fact they do not bring many group benefits

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
I love hunters, even when i whine about their lack of decent meele skills. :) And if you run into clueless players like one guild in EU FB that where ganking me for 2 hours, when i finally got away and used aspect of the beast to become trackless I could start taking them out one by one. Using tracking, speed pot, and cheetah at the right helps alot, pity we get dazed when using cheetah and get attacked.

Vantros of the Delerium

Fledgling Freddie
hunters have 1 fatal flaw.. a deadzone where they cant melee and they cant shoot.. in PvP any good player will sit in that dead zone and own the hunter. A hunter would probably a cash cow char, and they hardly improve after lvl 30.. where as all or at least most of the other chars actually get alot more powerful. The issue someone mentioned of the pet is wrong since it depends what pet u are useing, i had 2 raptors in beta and i changed to the second cos at a lower lvl than the other it had better stats (i looked at them and realised this), and just like the character the stats are what makes the pet.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Well hunters have those nifty "aspects" going that add benefits to the whole group, such as increased runspeed etc. Can see that beeing usefull in PvP.
A fast pet will also help alot vs magic users since it will interupt them more often, and vs tank'ish classes they can kite.

Hardly see them beeing useless in any sense of the word :)

Evoknox

Fledgling Freddie
I agree with fedaykin, hunters are highly overrated.

Some (most) people still think hunter is a newbie class that only new MMO'ers play, this is still some stereotype out of the beta when hunters were introduced and everyone rolled one.

Problem is the hunters best skills are not your own choices; it's hard to stay out of melee range, you can't always be the first one to attack (altough tracking helps ALOT here).

If you get an aimed shot off on any cloth wearer you'll win 90%, if you can keep a char at a distance you'll win 90%. Too bad they nerfed concussive shot to 12s cooldown =[

Scatter shot can somewhat overcome the problem of the hunters "deadzone" altough not entirely.

Oh and Feign Death is just fun, gotta love people who don't know the skill and run off when you use FD =]

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
Vantros of the Delerium said:
hunters have 1 fatal flaw.. a deadzone where they cant melee and they cant shoot.. in PvP any good player will sit in that dead zone and own the hunter. A hunter would probably a cash cow char, and they hardly improve after lvl 30.. where as all or at least most of the other chars actually get alot more powerful. The issue someone mentioned of the pet is wrong since it depends what pet u are useing, i had 2 raptors in beta and i changed to the second cos at a lower lvl than the other it had better stats (i looked at them and realised this), and just like the character the stats are what makes the pet.

marksmanship talent, Scatter shot ( i think its called) short range shot which will confuse your target for 4 seconds

sorted

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
I said i'd make one when I first saw this game, so come hell or high water im taking this class to 60, im loving it so far even if I am only level 10 atm but what the hell, im loving it. :p

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
With Talents Hunter can mele fairly well. Around 35 mine had 20% evade plus the base 5% parry and improved raptor strike. With a good(blue) 2h or Pole wep and some nice +str and + stam items you can do decient dam.

Most importantly make sure you pet has learnt both Detaunt and Taunt skills (can turn pet moves off by right clicking them) and by useing your detaunt and taunt shot you can juggle agro between you and your pet, healing pet with focus heal and yourself with bandages. PvE wise you got about 2 health bars to play with.

Vesuvius

Fledgling Freddie
up until last night i woulda said hunters were dreadful in PvP, but like fedaykin said a well played one can do damn well.. with effective use of scatter, concussive shot etc totally nullifies and the 12 or 15s cooldown on it aint to important.. against a mage atleast where our frost nova is like 25s(or 15s cant remember tbh :)) or somit similar.

last night a 33 hunter ripped me to shreds.. first time he jumped me mid mob but i simply couldnt take revenge.. i was 29 so 4 lvl difference but that never stopped me during beta.. killing hunters as much as 7 lvls higher.
29's a bad lvl for mage tbh, new nukes are mostly at 30 so its the weakest nuke lvl for the late 20's. but even at those disadvantages he played damn well and i didnt stand a chance. not sure if i would even now.

a badly played hunter is still terrible, but hey, you could say that about any class

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom