Humble beginnings - Part 4

W

Whoodoo_RD

It would be many years until once again my eyes saw the grass and tree lines of Hibernia. My father had shown me what dangers lurked beyond our realm, what horrors could await a small and untrained hunter like me.

Over the next couple of years I tried to perfect my aim. On a trip to Dvallin market one fine summers day, my father happened upon an old Valkyn friend. This was the first of his kind I had seen, despite his growling features and strange poise; he was a remarkably funny and kind person, with a strange wit.

They decided between them to take in some ale in Haggerfel nearby. We sat at a table near the door, another first for me was a tavern, the stench of ale must have been one I had to acquire along with my archery skills, which had taken many seasons to perfect. The floor was reminiscent of Vanern, its dust covered surface sticky with spilt mead. Looking around I saw several large groups of warriors, shouting their tales of battle and clashing their flaggens together with yells of triumph.

In a far corner, sat another darker Valkyn, his gaze fixed straight ahead, staring into the future perhaps with glistening yellow eyes. Only the hair on his shoulders protruded from the long black robe he wore, fiery red like lava ebbing from his body. He clutched a tall staff, hooked at the end with a jewel, glowing strangely suspended within. One thing my father had taught me was about all the wood to be found in Midgard, this stave was made of no wood I had seen. His manner intrigued me greatly. A smile seemed out of place against the coldness of his dark brown eyes, continuing a grimacing mixture of deviousness and mischief.

My father jokingly offered me a swig of his ale, laughing with his friend, I could tell he didn’t think I would take up the offer, yet I did…..much to my regret. The liquid was foul, as soon as its vile texture hit my tongue I reached forwards, spitting the mouthful across the centre of the room and onto the legs of a rather ugly and war torn Dwarf, who’s temperament already seemed on edge, this just exaggerated his temper.

His voice raised, his hand upon the rather deadly looking axe strapped to his back, he bellowed;

“Have thee no manners Viking scum? Ill beg thee for an apology now, or you will taste thy axe cleanly!”

I cowered behind my father, glancing around I could see he had the whole bars full attention, his eyes burned like hot daggers being pushed into my heart, my pulse raced and I clung tighter to my father, fearing this creatures words.

The Valkyn friend turned slowly toward the dwarf, placing his flaggen gently onto the table.

“Best you lower your temper small one, can u not see he is but a child. Come, join us for a drink, take the weight off your mighty axe and relax!”

“Bah, honour knows not of age or race Valkyn, go back to your home, back to your tundra, back with your kind” he growled menacingly, teeth gritted tightly together. He raised his axe ever so slightly more, I cowered deeper into my fathers clothing, clutching tightly at his arm. Despite my angst I could see my father, relaxed while he tilted his drink to up his lips once more, with a devilish smile upon his face, seemingly laughing inside, although he already knew what would come next.

From the corner of my eye, I caught a glimmer of metal, bright in the dimly lit tavern. My vision crept slowly toward the Valkyns left arm, resting gently on the table, his hand relaxed, the smooth, fine brown hair protruding from his hauberk seemed to cover something beneath his sleeve, with closer observation, I could pick out a strange blade, just under the hair.

“Take yourself away Dwarf, you’re out of your league here my friend” he said calmly.

With this the Dwarf began to cry out, a deep bellowing war cry, his axe tilted back more, gaining power for his swing, the anger in his voice echoed around the room, all around people stopped and stared at the commotion, the warriors placing their hands upon their weapons – readying them for combat.

Yet my father sat still, his smile growing by the second, his gaze transfixed upon his friend, as if he could see the following events before they had occurred.

The dwarf cried louder, his axe began to swing forward, swathing through the air, gaining speed as it dropped toward our table. With the flick of his wrist, the Valykn produced a triple bladed weapon, the likes of which I had never seen before. Its silver blades ebbed a blue-green aura, sparkling with tiny flames of gold. As the axe descended the blade towards the table, the Valkyn’s glimmering steel made contact with the haft, splitting it effortlessly, and sending the head through the air, embedding it into the wall behind us.

My father spat out his ale in a fit of laughter, recoiling on his seat as he echoed a large bellyful of mirth. “Will dwarves never learn, hahahaha!!!”

The dwarf stood speechless, staring in amazement at the stump that was once his mighty battle axe, his breath removed by the seemless actions of his opponent. He starred at for an age, unable to move, unable to breathe or speak. Eventually his gaze switched to the Valkyn’s weapon in total awe.

“Like my tool you do eh Dwarf? You seem ill-equipped to try me for a duel, perhaps you should stick to your cave in future.” His grin opened wider, baring his sharp browned teeth, the glint of a minor victory in his eye. “Maybe if you were to travel my way some day, you could stop by my shop in Hagall, and barter for the items we Valkyn have gathered from the spirits of Tuscaran. Bring a heavy purse though my little fellow, for these things come with a hefty price. Just say that Korskan said you would be passing, the villagers will know to send you to me.”

His wrist relaxed, as it did the three blades retracted back into his sleeves until they were no longer visible.

The Dwarf, still stunned from his the experience, staggered back a step, his jaw shaking lower as he moved. “erm….yes….axe….new….”

From one of the tables behind him rose another dwarf, slightly older than this one, and obviously wiser too, he approached cautiously and placed his hand upon the other shoulder gently; “Come Gardot, today you learn a valuable lesson. My friends, please forgive my comrades haste, it’s been some time since he tasted blood, and his judgement is not at its best, please accept our humble apologies, I’m sure he intended no fellow Midgardian any harm.” With this he gently pulled his friend away towards the table they were occupying.

“No harm done friend. Although I suggest he goes better equipped in battle.” Both he and my father burst into laughter once again. Still in shock I was clung to my fathers arm.

“Cardij, you’ll stop the blood in my firing hand young lad, steady you’re grip my son. With Korskan here you need fear anyone around. He is the best weapon merchant I know, and the keenest of fighters!”

I relaxed my grip, still staring at the Valkyns wrist, as if I was waiting for the blades to reappear. Korskan smiled at me as he raised his tankard once again.

“I must be going, I have to be in Hagall before nightfall. A hunt leaves for Tuscaran Glacier tonight, and I need fresh materials. You should join us one day, and bring young Cardij along for the ride too.”

My father wiped the froth from his beard, put down his now empty flagon and took a deep breath. “One day, one day. I much prefer the warmer climbs of Knarr, Delling is such a cold place, and the boy is a little young to be wandering that forsaken place. Still, he is very adventurous, so perhaps soon he will come to find you himself, old friend.” With this he began to rub my head, tipping my circlet to one side.

“Now, here’s what you asked for….” Korskan reached down behind him, lifting up a spear. My eyes lit up like the brightest stars. Its tip was black as night, yet it sparkled gently, and a faint crackling sound emanated from its shaft. “You don’t want to know the trouble I went through to get this! The council did not surrender this easily.”

My father reached toward his belt, removing a large purse full of money. “Alright, you made your point you scoundrel, good to see your sales tactics haven’t changed!”

The Valkyn dragged the heavy purse across the table, and passed over the weapon to my father, who began to inspect its beauty. “Ahh, now this is truly a thing of wonder, feel the power within it.” He swung the spear over the table, holding its sleek shaft towards me. I raised my hands towards it, as my finger tips drew closer; I felt them start to tingle, the closer the more the effect of its power.

Suddenly I felt my hands drawn to it, and almost without control, I found my hand gripping it tightly. Strange warmth flowed through me, for a moment I felt almost euphoric.

“You feel the life drain? ahh, I see it in your eyes young lad. Tis magic only a true Bonedancer can imbue upon such a weapon. Strike your enemy and his life will be taken; and you will inherit his loss in battle.”

“Is it for me, father?”

“Yes my boy, but you’re going to have to earn it. Your mother will miss the money, so you must prove to her it is a wise investment. You will have to spend more time now hunting for her precious essences and skins.”

“Enjoy it boy, I have no doubt your father worked hard to earn that!” Korskan rose from his seat, tossing a few gold coins to the table as he did. “Its on me old friend, and remember, don’t be a stranger in my parts for so long next time. There’s always room for your family beside my fire. May Odin guide you.” He bowed and walked towards the door.

I watched him stroll out into the open air, he whistled loudly and a horse came to his side. Gracefully he mounted it, and without it stopping sped off out of my view.

“Your mother will want us home for supper my boy. Gather yourself and our spoils. Let’s see the merchants before we leave. Empty handed is one thing your mother won’t want us to be.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom