Huh!

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
Just arrived home from work and booted up my PC. All seemed well. I get a genuine prompt from Messenger that there is an upgrade, so I follow instructions .

All seems fine, no prompt to reboot, so I open explorer and......bammm I get 160 windows opening up. OK so I close the group and restart computer .

It restarts but now the network card cant see router. I immeditlely suspect a virus and after a scan I get 8 adware finds but Norton cant delete them...I mean what the fuck!!! I then run ad-aware and it cant find a thing....

Now I can only acess the web via my PDA!

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
Sounds a bit dodgy that. Only suggestion I have is fdisk and install linux :)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Try Spybot S&D it kicks Ad Awares ass.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've just had the same prompt, and no problems, in either firefox or IE.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
GDW said:
Just arrived home from work and booted up my PC. All seemed well. I get a genuine prompt from Messenger that there is an upgrade, so I follow instructions .

Was this genuine prompt from Messenger sent to you by Candy Lickalicious and did it offer herbal remedies on the side?

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
old.Tohtori said:
Was this genuine prompt from Messenger sent to you by Candy Lickalicious and did it offer herbal remedies on the side?

I see you are trying to make friends around here, Toto... :p

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Trem said:
Try Spybot S&D it kicks Ad Awares ass.
Use both.

Many times have I ran Spybot SnD and then ad-aware after it and Ad-aware picked up a few things spybot missed.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Ad Aware picks up Spybot as spyware.

granny

Fledgling Freddie
I had that same prompt to upgrade messenger yesterday GDW, had no problems... PC been rebooted a few times since then, nothing funny going on at all.

Although, interestingly, the upgrade notice only happened on my work PC, hasn't asked to do it on home one yet... bit suspicious tbh.

*Goes to check security sites*

Summo

Loyal Freddie
I like you, Tohtori, but my mummy says you can't touch me like that.

Gray

FH is my second home
You have AdAware installed.
If you have the AdAware option to scan inside archives enabled, AdAware may find files in the Spybot-S&D folder. Spybot-S&D does not contain any spyware, but it creates backups of everything you fix (until you remove those backups from the Recovery list), and AdAware complains about these backups. You can safely ignore these backups found by AdAware.

is what it said about it during installation

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Hmmm I installed this "new version" and I have just realised all my MSN Icons have gone as if it has been deleted :(

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
Ok Im back and this is what appears to have happened. A bundle of coincidences,......... maybe.

After I closed doun the 160+ explorer windows I restarted the PC and as stated was unable to see my router. In addition I had programmes opening randomly. Strange.

After another couple of restarts this problem went away, but the PCI network card was totally borked. Even though Windows could see it etc there was no life in its little LEDs, bless it.

So off I went to Maplins (..yes I know) and bought a new card for a tenner, put it in, and everythings working fine now.....even Messenger.

So now I just have to get rid of these 8 adware exe files. Norton can see them and recognise them but just fails to delete them. The path were they reside doesnt exist so I cant simply delete them manually, and since Ad - Aware cant see any of them Ill have to try this other recommended proggy.

Thanks again everyone for your support as always

Gramps

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
A further update....Spybot didnt detect any of the files being highlighted by Norton. I tried Pestcontrol, which found a couple more and removed all but three so called adware executables.

Im now left with three socalled adware files which are being highlighted by Norton Antivirus 2004 and can't be cleaned :

pch10c.exe
Rem103.exe
thstwq.exe

All the programs Ive been using to try and clean them are fully uptodate so Im guessing these are not really adware files at all but possibly linked to some other program that Norton doesnt recognise.

Ive searched for each of these on Google and got no hits

Is anyone else using Norton Antivirus and picking up any unknown adware files?

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
They are located in Documents and settings/user/Local settings. When I go to look for that folder it doesnt exist.

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
(if its XP) tried a ctrl+alt+delete and ended those processes (if there) and then tried deleting through whatever proggy?

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Are we talking about Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger here ?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
GDW said:
They are located in Documents and settings/user/Local settings. When I go to look for that folder it doesnt exist.

And you've made sure its not a hidden folder? Just thought I'd ask...

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
Xane its MSN Messenger.

Dys, its not hidden but is hidden if you know what I mean.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
GDW said:

Now, please don't take this as if I regard you as a complete moron, but you know the "user" bit is your username and not the word "user" ?

[/support]

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
I replaced my name with the word 'User' ;)

Tilda

Ive been getting MSN prompts on both computers, i'm holding off upgrading for now :p

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
That folder will exist if you have "view hidden folders/files" switched on...

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
You'd think...but unfortunately it aint there :(

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Never mind GDW, at least you didn't inadvertently ctrl+alt+del XP during bootup today, like I did, and corrupt several highly important files, facilitating a rescue operation the likes of which the Traceys would have been proud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom