Hrm. Need advice...

O

old.LandShark

Anyone got any advice for someone looking to pick up the basics of C++ without paying out too much? I've got a compiler, it's strictly "tuition" that I need here.

S

SilverHood

what Ekydus said

and then search online for some step by step guides for making simple programs

once made, try to adapt them slightly

got any other programming experience?

S

Sharma

C++ for dumies is always the best to begin even if you have ZERO proramming xp.

Theres always pointers to hard bits and it starts off slow then before you know it youve already made around 5 or 6 apps that fully work and can be used as building blocks for making much more advanced apps :)

D

Danya

C++ for dummies is not worth the papar it's printed on. It's factually inaccurate in numerous places, and the teaching style is wank to boot.

I'd go with "C++: How To Program" by Deitel/Deitel.

In general stay well clear of any book that's "for dummies" or "idiot's guide", the dummies and idiots refers to the people who pay money for them, not those that can understand them. ;)

S

Sharma

Uhm, i started using VB and HTML etc for dummies then i moved on to better books when i finished em, they actually did work quite well for me :x

E

Ekydus

You mean you didn't teach yourself HTML?

For shame on you. Do it the hard way like I did.

J

Jonaldo

The "Dummies" books are actually very good even if inappropriatly named. (C++ is not for dummies, TCP/IP for Dummies is an oxymoron within itself).

M

mestoph

The best collection of books you can buy are O'Reilly's.

http://www.oreilly.com/

They do everything, i mean everything for computers. There is a book for each topic and usually a nutshell book for the big ones. They are commonly refered to in the industry by the animal on the front cover, rather than the actual topic.

D

Danya

O'Reilly are good, I have the camel book for perl, it's very good. :)

W

Wile_E_Coyote

Deitel & Deitel's books are nice. Not learning C++ myself, but have been using "Advanced Java 2 Platform - How To Program" by them during my studies and its quite good. Don't know about the O'Reilly ones.

K

klavrynd

Originally posted by sharma
Uhm, i started using VB and HTML etc for dummies then i moved on to better books when i finished em, they actually did work quite well for me :x

yes, you can totally compare vb and html to c++

its like playing chanter <-> healer

ps : c++ sucks

S

Sharma

Originally posted by klavrynd
yes, you can totally compare vb and html to c++

its like playing chanter <-> healer

Give the compared to daoc a rest :p

Tis boooooring zzzzzz ;)

Users who are viewing this thread