How to waste much less money as you skill up...

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
OK, stop me if you've heard this one before...

I'm edging near to LGM with my Weaponcrafter, and finally had enough of pissing away Odin knows how much cash making arcanium weapons just to get a ding in Leatherworking, which isn't even any use to me. So I hit upon a way to waste the smallest possible amount of cash while getting your primary skill up as fast as possible (I'll be using examples from Weaponcrafting, but this should apply to all tradeskills that have secondary skills). So, as you're skilling up in WC, WC dings first, then the secondary skills - Leatherworking, Metalworking + Woodworking - all catch up as you keep going. In other words, at, say, 700 WC, the first ding you're going to get is WC (since you can't have a secondary skill, in this case leather, metal or wood higher than your primary skill). OK, we know it can take X amount of tries to get a skill gain in WC, that's part and parcel of crafting up. But I hate having to spend cash on expensive materials just to get a gain in Leatherworking which is no damn use to me anyway...so here's what I do.

Fletching will increase metalworkng + woodworking skills too, so - quoting from exactly what I'm crafting in the background as I type this - I have a Well-Made Weaponsmith's Knife (the skill-up-faster-tool from the 800 WC tradeskill quest) in my 1H weapon slot, with my normal fighting weapon in pack slot 1. QB slot 10 has the Arcanium war axe (a costly 21 arc bars + 4 duskwood boards). QB slot 9 has Elm rough clout broadhead arrows (dirt cheap stuff from apprentice merchant). Enough parts in pack for 10 tries at the axe and 20 tries at the arrows. And they're off! Leave the skill-up tool in 1H slot, make the axe until you get a WC gain. Say 'w00t!' in /gu. Switch out the skill-up tool for your usual weapon. Make the arrows until you get metalworking + woodworking up to the WC ding you just had. Swap the tool back in, back to axes.

Repeat till LGM.

This way you only use the expensive materials and the charges on your skill-up tool on your primary skill, and you use dirt-cheap materials to get the secondary skills up. No more pissing away hundreds of gold on a secondary skill ding you didn't even want! I just checked the log, it looks something like this:

Axe
Axe
Axe + 962 WC ding
Arrows
Arrows + 962 Metalworking + 962 Woodworking ding (they seem to ding simultaneously all the time using this system)
Axe

etc etc

Seems like a good plan to me, anyway :D.

Jolo

Fledgling Freddie
Yep - best way - but no need to keep swapping the skill-up tool - it only affects your primary skill anyway.

Klonk

One of Freddy's beloved
Grats with LGM, Svart. And a good post for all WCers to be or in-the-making ;)

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
I use the same thing with my upcoming ACer. I ignore MW completely, will just bring it up with fletching and weapon crafting.

Bultrug

Fledgling Freddie
Hey reading this, it suddenly dawns on me that I had completely forgotten about the tradeskill quest. See a while back I wanted to do it cuz it was an easy one anyway and I was really interested in that tool. But then when I started the quest it was bugged... one of the npc's I was supposed to deliver summin'to was nowhere to be found. I then just gave up thinking the tool would not be worth it anyway since from the descriptions of it, it seemed that it would only be of real use for a short term crafting benefit only. This is actually the first time that I hear someone mention it in a way that it can be used to boost the long term skilling process. Seems I might not know enough about this tool afterall. So I have 2 questions:

1. Can any of you confirm that this tool can be used over and over again .. by way of recharging it or summin' ... and that it therefore is of great help in skilling? And if so .... any specific way to use it?

2. Does such a tool only exist for the so-called 'mundane' arts of crafting. Or can I also do a quest that yields something similar, i.e. a tool that can be used to boost the skill-increases during my sc-ing?

Thanx in advance,

Mithrael lvl 50 s/s hero

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
Bultrug said:
Hey reading this, it suddenly dawns on me that I had completely forgotten about the tradeskill quest. See a while back I wanted to do it cuz it was an easy one anyway and I was really interested in that tool. But then when I started the quest it was bugged... one of the npc's I was supposed to deliver summin'to was nowhere to be found. I then just gave up thinking the tool would not be worth it anyway since from the descriptions of it, it seemed that it would only be of real use for a short term crafting benefit only. This is actually the first time that I hear someone mention it in a way that it can be used to boost the long term skilling process. Seems I might not know enough about this tool afterall. So I have 2 questions:

1. Can any of you confirm that this tool can be used over and over again .. by way of recharging it or summin' ... and that it therefore is of great help in skilling? And if so .... any specific way to use it?

2. Does such a tool only exist for the so-called 'mundane' arts of crafting. Or can I also do a quest that yields something similar, i.e. a tool that can be used to boost the skill-increases during my sc-ing?

Thanx in advance,

Mithrael lvl 50 s/s hero

There are tools for all tradeskills although some of the quests are very broken - do a search on the Herald for 'tradeskills' and see how many results you get for broken tradeskills quests.
I'm not convinced the other tools are worth it to be honest. The quests involve a fair bit of running around and so you're better off using the time to just craft with in most cases. The skill-gain one is probably the most useful.

Using other tradeskills to keep your materials skills up to level is by far the cheapest way to do it.
If you're not an armourcrafter, make studded leather to increase metal working, leatherworking and clothworking all at the same time. If you are then make studded leather using your tailoring skill (even though the items are identical, if it has colour to you you can gain skill from it). To increase woodworking, make arrows if you're not a fletcher or hafted weapons (maces, axes, poles etc) if you are.

Jolo

Fledgling Freddie
There are 3 tools you can get when you do the quest(s) - there is a lowbie quest then a higher quest [check Warcy and search quests "tradeskill" for details]:

increased chance to skill-up
increased minimum quality on make
increased speed to make

The first is the one you'll want to get while lvling up a crafter - it has a certain number of charges on it (6 for the lowbie quest, 13 for the higher quest iirc) and once those run out you need a new tool, so I used to do the quest 8 times each time i dinged 100, 200, 300, etc. [8 x 13 = 104] - enough tools to see you through the next 100 skilling up - the quest is repeatable so I stocked up on 8 of them each crafting 100 ding. Passes the time on a rainy Sunday afternoon! This tool only affects your main crafting skill.

The min qual tool you will prob want to use (or your customers will want you to use) if you are crafting legendary weapons.

The increased speed tool I see no point to.

Hope that made some sense.

Cheers, J

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom