How to speak Dwarf

J

Jonaldo

Dunno if it's an old link but for all those dorfs out there that might want to try role-playying their character a little more in game (or any other mmorpg) this could be handy/humorous to read.

How to speak Dwarf.

quote:
For flavor - try to use lots of swearing and insults. :clap:
For inspiration - think of Caretaker Willy from the Simpsons.
:D

Sounds like a lot of posters here, swearing lots while thinking of a willy :p

R

Roo Stercogburn

Glaswegian, as mispronounced by Americans :p

If you want a proper field trip to test out if you can get the accent right, perhaps a visit to the upmarket area of Easter House in Glasgow? The locals will welcome you with open arms.

Semi-automatic arms.

O

old.0xygen

heh

theres me thinking this was going to be about Red Dwarf

P

[PS]Riddler

Oi, im a geordie and i understand geordies fine :p

M

Melodic

Originally posted by Kedela

as am I...but after having lived in London for 10 years I always have problems for the first few days I go home to visit my mother...:rolleyes:

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Roo Stercogburn
Semi-automatic arms.

So true...

"Hey Rab, there's a Tiger, it must have escaped from the zoo!"

"Don't be stupid Tam, this is Easterhouse, it's probably a family pet."

O

old.0xygen

Brad Pitt attempting to be Irish in Snatch.... I could barely understand him and I live in Ireland. Georgies you can understand although you may not want to

O

old.tRoG

By Scottish accent I take it you mean Glaswegian?

At least thats a good, understandable accent, unlike those east coast tinkers from aberdeen :)

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by old.0xygen
Brad Pitt attempting to be Irish in Snatch.... I could barely understand him and I live in Ireland. Georgies you can understand although you may not want to

It wasn't Irish it was pikey, in fact it even says in the film 'it's not Irish, it's not anything, it's just pikey' perhaps this was why you couldn't understand it as it was just an accent that he made up for the film :) tho I saw him attempt an Irish accent in some film years ago and it wasn't much better ;)

O

old.Trine Aquavit

I'd always assumed that the Hibs were Glasweigian and the Albs were Geordie as I keep seeing:

"... yells something in a language you can't understand".

On second thoughts, Albs couldn't be Geordies as they wear full plate and no Geordie would be seen outside in more than a T-shirt ;)

The truth is that us Dwarves have a range of accents depending on where we come from. Vasudheim Dwarves, for instance, have strong, big, loud voices. My father sounds a bit like Brian Blessed, and my voice is only an octave lower. Them Norse and Kobolds struggle with this as much as they struggle with the fact our women have all got soft, downy beards. The Trolls don't mind as much, though. I think they get as fed up with their tinny screeching as us Dwarves do (I keep a pair of earplugs on me just for when those Kobolds get over-excited).

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Midgard dwarf (in case this is DAoC related :p) with a scottish accent? Naw!

Better for a Celt (or.. uhm... Highlander)... have a certain female hero in my guild who speaks with a thick brogue.

K

Keri

Originally posted by Kedela

I'm an ex-Geordie, and I understand them fine too ... trouble is, they think my Canadian accent is American. :(

R

Roo Stercogburn

I think one of the funniest ever Scottish accents I've heard in a game has got to be in Yuri's Revenge - the Battlefortress cracks me up every time ("We will traaaaaample aaarrrr enemies"), its genuinely funny. It's like an American trying to do a Billy Connolly impression. Erm, actually I think thats what it really is tbh :D

RPG attempts at Scot-speak tends to be och aye and other obvious phrases. I bet many peeps from different regions/areas chuckle when they see others trying to roleplay someone from their part of the world.

Don't stop though, that's part of the fun :D

Braw ;)

O

old.Glabbin

"Aw shut yer mooth ye cheeky fooker! Ah'm no scared ae ye! I'll gie ye a square go anyday ye like, ya bastard! REET!! You 'n me - ootside - noo!"

V

VodkaFairy

Originally posted by sharma
Scottish people rule, i want a scottish accent :(

Same here :p

Definitely gonna live/work a few years in scotland after I finish my study :)

O

old.tRoG

Scottish accent got voted the best accent to have (for males).

For females I think French won... though why you'd want to speak like that is beyond me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom