How to make an avatar from a screenshot?

Aeis

Loyal Freddie
I have a screenshot that I want to make an avatar of.

The size of the screeny is 800 x 600. That is the problem. I want to make it smaller in size as pretty much no forum allow an image that large.

I have tried in paint and saved as JPEG. But then when I have made it small it still count the big white area as in the picture.
Can someone please tell me what I should do?

worMatty

One of Freddy's beloved
If you don't have a decent paint program, get a viewer like the Windows image previewer and zoom out a bit. Then take a screenie.

I don't think you can save stuff as JPEG's using MS paint. Get someone else to do it for you. Ask nicely.

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
Mazling said:
http://www.gimp.org/ http://www.irfanview.com/
They have good resizing/editing tools. Gimp is a free alternative to photoshop, while Ifranview is a great "viewer" with some nice image editing abilities tacked on.

EDIT: btw, I took a screeny of a Monty Python movie, and reduced it :)

Yeah, I've been using the Irfan viewer for donkeys years, well recommended to everyone.

Mofo8

Fledgling Freddie
If you have nothing but MS Paint (eugh!), and you're desperate, then you could post a link to the 800x800 image here, and someone will do it for you (if you tell them the required pixel size/file size for the avatar).

EDIT: Just had a look at MS Paint for the first time in years. You should be able to do what you want with it, although you won't have very exact control over the final image size.

1) Open your image in MS Paint
2) Go to the Image menu and select 'Stretch/Skew'
3) Put in 10% for both horizontal and vertical stretch.
(that's assuming your original image is 800x600 and you want a 80x60 avatar)
4) Hit OK
5) Go to the File menu and 'save as' and save it somewhere with a suitable name (making sure it's a JPEG)

You'll then need to check the file size is suitable for an avatar. MS Paint gives you no control over the level of JPEG compression.

Aeis

Loyal Freddie
Success!
I don't need anymore advanced than this one :p

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
I think it's that 'daoc' game or something.

Looks like fire and spears to me with random boxes with random bars on it.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I may be wrong, but it looks a bit like some of the effects Kemor (GOA GM) is able to come up with by scripting NPCs to perform a group 'dance' with some fairly sophisticated spell effects going on all around.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
looks like the spear of Odin spell rune masters get in the Rune carving line

[/nerd]

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
no no no, youre all wrong its a magikalal worm charming spell power +25 check it:
clickeh

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If any of you guys want spiffy avatars, you can always ask me, I enjoy mucking around with photoshop. I'm a regular poster on b3ta.

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
Ok then Tom, could you take the current avatar I use and remove the black border around the edge nice and neatly pweez? :E

Tom

I am a FH squatter
evolutionava%20copy.gif

mr.Blacky

Can't get enough of FH
Tom said:
If any of you guys want spiffy avatars, you can always ask me, I enjoy mucking around with photoshop. I'm a regular poster on b3ta.
Go on and make one for me then :p I dare you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom