How to increase subscriptions on EU servers...

O

old.Ramas

Originally posted by Sanya Thomas at the Herald
The current issue of Computer Gaming World is bundled with a DVD-ROM that includes, among other titles, the "Classic" version of Dark Age of Camelot (the original game, without the retail expansions, but including Foundations). Please be aware that this DVD version is the original game, but with the upgraded Shrouded Isles engine. So, it is functionally equivalent to SI, but does not have the expansion zones or access to create the SI races.

If you are a current Camelot subscriber, and you are playing with the original version of Dark Age of Camelot, you can use the CGW DVD version to upgrade your original Classic Camelot to the SI graphics engine for free. Just install the CGW DVD, and use your existing Camelot username and password to log in. Don't install it over your existing Camelot directory - instead, first install it into a new directory and program group. After you've made sure the new version works well with your hardware, you can uninstall the old version.

Note to GOA:

Seriously - give the client away.

It works for other MMOGs - no reason it won't work here.

It'll also create even more bots, but frankly that battle is long since lost; and so not worth worrying about.

T

the_fnord

Excuse me if Im totally lost in teh cheese, but since when does Sanya Thomas have anything to do with Goa? Don't she speak for Mythic?

I'll just go back tomy corner now and sniff my cheese....

D

Driwen

Originally posted by the_fnord
Excuse me if Im totally lost in teh cheese, but since when does Sanya Thomas have anything to do with Goa? Don't she speak for Mythic?

I'll just go back tomy corner now and sniff my cheese....

mythic is giving the client away for free with an issue of Computer Gaming World. Which I assume you must pay reasonable for though, it is possible that Mythic actually gets some money still for this and it doesnt completly tell me wether it contains a new cdkey, which you need to get a DAOC account. But I guess it does, as otherwise it would be almost pointless.

A

Aule Valar

it'll probably gain mythic a lot of sales of si and toa though, as you'll need both expansions if you want to get anywhere with the game
this is only the classic client, though with the si graphics engine

O

old.Kerosene

It would increase sales from both new customers willing to try it out since the game will be easily accessible, people getting buffbot for the first time and people getting a 3rd account for the first time which seems to be the new FOTM these days.

P

Petronella

agree, let people download the client and then get 7 days free or so and then start paying..

T

tildson

isnt this a free upgrade for those who run the classic version? and gets a free upgrade to SI-engine, excluding the actual "Shrouded Island".

just a free graphical upgrade is what i get it to be, but my english is not always very strong so i could be wrong ;)

D

dapprman

It's also an upgrade for the Mythic run US game, not the GOA run one.

M

Motowntheta

It's still a good idea though.... but remember GOA haven't really advertised the game in the UK so I would expect that they would get the CD on the cover of a german or french magazine before an english one ;)

TBH the only real way to stop the constant english server whine is to get Mythic to Char Transfer the server to a US one..... but the ramifications of that move are so convoluted that it will never happen :(

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by Aule Valar
it'll probably gain mythic a lot of sales of si and toa though, as you'll need both expansions if you want to get anywhere with the game
this is only the classic client, though with the si graphics engine

Well, we played classic for two years and got quite far :p

O

old.Ramas

Originally posted by dapprman
It's also an upgrade for the Mythic run US game, not the GOA run one.

Yes, well, I wouldn't be posting it as 'note to GOA' if GOa was already doing it.

:rolleyes:

F

Flimgoblin

seems to be quite a few newbies around lately - maybe the PCZone trial-server stuff had an impact :)

One thing I saw Mythic doing was a "friend trial" edition with your copy of ToA - you get a 7-day subscription classic camelot version for free with every ToA :)

similar thing on a computer game mag would be ace

A

Aule Valar

Originally posted by old.Tohtori
Well, we played classic for two years and got quite far :p

grouping with people without /lvl, and without the expansion areas... sure to be easy...
of course it is dooable, but a lot of players will be in one of the expansions most of the time

K

klavrynd

i'll renew if we patch back to 1.58 and skip toa

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom