How to get your bank charges refunded.

Mey

Part of the furniture
Roalith said:
Yeah, and they should add the phrase 'Oh, by the way, by including this clause we're breaking consumer law'.

Authorised and regulated by the financial services authority and signatories to the banking codes.

Mey

Part of the furniture
Roalith said:
Got it in a nutshell. UK banks enjoy gouging their customers.

I assume you're a Scandinavian Eeben? One relatively well known difference between Swedish (I believe it is) and UK banks is in terms of transfers from one account to another.

From what I understand (and what reports over here have stated), if you transfer money from one account to another in Sweden it's done within a few hours at most.

If you do the same over here, it takes at least 4 days - in some cases 5. During that time, the bank is investing the cash and making profit from your money.

I also understand that Swedish banks don't charge you something on the order of 2000% - 4000% over what it costs them to return a direct debit when you don't have enough cash.

Trallisx - I post as Reload over on the Consumer Action Group forums. I'm a Site Helper over there - if you need any advice or assistance drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do :)

More bullshit, a transfer from one account to another in the same bank happens instantly, no wait no charge. A transfer from one bank to another takes a few more days why, because we have to complete tons of paperwork to prevent money laundering and fraud.

Marc

FH is my second home
Mey why u stiking up for banks? The OOFT has declared the banks were wrong. Banks have being fcuking us over for years, not to mention relocating their call centres to the arse end of the world so they can pay wages of 10p per hour, meaning the uk has lost thousands of jobs. Not like they cant afford it, they make like £30 trillion profit every year

Mey

Part of the furniture
I just think it's scummy, and work for bank :p

(How else are my wages going to get paid if you lot keep claiming charges back :p)

Roalith

Can't get enough of FH
Mey said:
Authorised and regulated by the financial services authority and signatories to the banking codes.

... which have absolutely nothing to do with regulating and enforcing consumer law.

www.fsa.gov.uk said:
The Financial Services Authority (FSA) is an independent non-governmental body, given statutory powers by the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000. We are a company limited by guarantee and financed by the financial services industry. The Treasury appoints the FSA Board, which currently consists of a Chairman, a Chief Executive Officer, three Managing Directors, and 10 non-executive directors (including a lead non-executive member, the Deputy Chairman). This Board sets our overall policy, but day-to-day decisions and management of the staff are the responsibility of the Executive.

Section 1.1 of the Banking Code at http://www.bankingcode.org.uk/pdfdocs/BANKING%20CODE.pdf said:
This is a voluntary code which sets standards of good banking practice for financial institutions to follow when they are dealing with personal customers in the United Kingdom.

Irregardless though, do you really think over 2000 people would have recovered nearly 2.5 million pounds with very few (if any!) cases actually reaching the courts if this was complete bullshit?

The banks know they're in the wrong. A judge has been quoted as saying it would be financial suicide for any bank to actually attempt to defend one of these claims.

Marc

FH is my second home
Roalith said:
... which have absolutely nothing to do with regulating and enforcing consumer law.

who dont? the OoFT?

Roalith

Can't get enough of FH
Mey said:
More bullshit, a transfer from one account to another in the same bank happens instantly, no wait no charge. A transfer from one bank to another takes a few more days why, because we have to complete tons of paperwork to prevent money laundering and fraud.

Heh, you're saying I'm talking bullshit?

Note I say from bank to bank. I did not say internally within a bank.

My example stands. Take a look at Scandinavian banking practices - or ask a Swede/Fin/Norwegian on these forums - if you don't believe me.

Mey

Part of the furniture
"I assume you're a Scandinavian Eeben? One relatively well known difference between Swedish (I believe it is) and UK banks is in terms of transfers from one account to another."

One account to another sounds like internally within a bank..

Mey

Part of the furniture
If you don't like the way banks work, don't use them.

Roalith

Can't get enough of FH
Mey said:
One account to another sounds like internally within a bank..

Down to individual interpretation, I guess. I'll clarify by saying from one bank to another then, if it'll keep you happy :sex:

Marc

FH is my second home
Mey said:
If you don't like the way banks work, don't use them.

Mey you are missing the point by a country mile. The banks have been deemed wrong in what they have been doing! Its not our fault but why shouldnt we take advantage. What would you say if, i dunno what, do you buy a lot of. Lets say you were a smoker and it was ruled that fag companies have overcharged and you were a smoker. Would you put in a claim? Ofc you would. Only reason you are sticking up for the banks is because you work for one.

Mey

Part of the furniture
Sure the extra money would be nice but it's the principle behind it all..

When you open your account you agree to the terms and conditions, guess i'm too honest.

Nevermind, good luck to ever claiming i supose i'm leaving the bank in about 24 days anyway :p

Roalith

Can't get enough of FH
Not trying to browbeat you into agreeing or anything Mey, but the point remains. If someone made you sign a contract saying they were allowed to shoot your wife/brother/sister/friend/dog with a gun if you broke your contract, it does not mean it's lawful.

Mey

Part of the furniture
Roalith said:
Not trying to browbeat you into agreeing or anything Mey, but the point remains. If someone made you sign a contract saying they were allowed to shoot your wife/brother/sister/friend/dog with a gun if you broke your contract, it does not mean it's lawful.

I know some contracts aren't lawful etc.. but i'm not talking about that, what i'm saying is if you sign something your agreeing to do something, or agreeing to something to happen to you. I must just be a Roleplayer and still have some medieval sense of word :p

Roalith

Can't get enough of FH
Mey said:
I know some contracts aren't lawful etc.. but i'm not talking about that, what i'm saying is if you sign something your agreeing to do something, or agreeing to something to happen to you. I must just be a Roleplayer and still have some medieval sense of word :p

... that's the point I'm trying to make. The fact that their contract contains an unlawful clause makes the contract itself unlawful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom