How to get a group as a cabalist

Oro

Fledgling Freddie
Ok, lots of fotm cabages showing up. These poor chaps are wandering into Avalon City and trying to get groups and taking up valuable group slots that could be used by more useful players.

You are a gimp. You know it. The group you're going to try and get into knows it. Here's some tips and tricks to make sure you clinch that sweet sweet leech slot.

Part 1 - Preparation

As everyone knows, preparation is all, doubly so if you have hemorrhoids.

Wear a pointy hat. EVERYONE knows that more powerful and l33t casters have pointy hats. A woolly one without stats is fine. Dye it red.

Knobbly staff. Similar to hat *except* you have to make up some grandiose story as to how you came into possession of it. Lotto on a raid doesn't cut it. You must have taken down the mob that granted this fine item with the smallest number of people possible, solo is best. The fearsome beastie that gave it must con of the deepest purple, WAY beyond mother-in-law.

Part 2 - Showtime

Ok, you have your pointy staff and knobbly hat. Um knobbly staff and pointy hat. Next thing you have to do is lie, cheat and confuse your way into a group. Misdirection is your friend.

So now you're at the entrance to Avalon City. You're waiting around with all the other greenhorns. There are many ways to make your introduction - you could use the group window to advertise your cabalistic skills to prospective groups. You could shout the standard "Cabalist LFG!". You could even lower yourself to the rather whiny "M8 need grp to finish lvl plz".

WRONG! This is why you've solo'd the first 40 levels idiot!

You stride in boldly and yell, "ICE WIZ LFG!". If you're lucky the group leader will take one look at the knobbly staff and pointy hat and invite before he's checked in his rush to get you before some other group does.

Now one of the problems you can hit is that you might encounter an ACTUAL ice wizard milling around the crowd at the entrance. He is your enemy and must be eliminated... at least until after you have a group slot. The shape of the entrance area to Avalon City itself at this point becomes your new best friend. Dive back around the corner and summon your pet, making sure nobody sees you. Use the Goto Target command to send it to the Ice Wiz. Don't worry about him spotting it, the wiz will be AFK secure in the knowledge that when he gets back at least 10 group invites will be waiting for him. He's probably AFK to find the sellotap to hold down the hotkey for his pbae spell. What you do then is casually walk around the corner and sneer at the obviously gimped cabby in the corner. The bigger the sneer the better.

Now when the prospective group leader shows up you've nullified the competition and once again, that juicy xp slot is yours. Make sure to unsummon the pet before the ice wiz gets back from AFK.

If you're not the last person in the group, make sure that the AFK Ice Wiz gets an invite. Ah the fortunes of war. He who was once your enemy is now your greatest ally. Persuade the group leader to invite your best mate wossname the ice wiz and make sure to PM the wiz letting him know you've managed to swing him a spot in an uber group just because your mates and you remember grouping 15 levels ago that time in wossname dungeon etc. He will have absolutely no idea who you are but will sheepishly say something like "Ok m8 ta"

Ok so now you're in the group. At some point there is a danger that your cover may be blown - possibly around the time people expect you to go boom and all you can do is fart this feeble disease cloud. Usually its those pesky clerics looking at the buffs everyone has on the full size group window. The cleric may not say anything. Sometimes they just ask in group chat what people want as they haven't paid any attention to what class needs what in the past. If they do that you are sorted.

There are two ways you can handle the discovery of your little jape:

1) Nobody pays attention to what name is attached to what char class when they join a group. You tell them your best mate from dungeon wossname 15 lvls ago was the ice wiz. Sometimes Wossname the Ice Wiz will agree with you when he has absolutely no clue whatsoever, bless his cotton socks.

2) Plan B. And in DAoC, what does B stand for? Why, Bot of course. Now, if you owned a bot, there would be no way you'd make a gimp like a cabby, you'd be off being sexy and uber with something like an infiltrator. So lacking a bot, you're going to have lie some more. No problem, you're getting good at this. Pick some random cleric out of the crowd at the entrance area. Tell everyone this is your bot and you'll buff them with it when you get to the camp spot as you can only move one char at a time. You'll be forgiven your little white lie of being an ice wiz because the tanks in the group will be smelling purple buffs and the saliva will already be rusting their armour. Once you get to the camp spot, you scream in horror and tell everyone the PC with your bot account just blew up. If you're *really* good you can push this one stage further and with the promise of mega buffs ask if its ok to AFK while you sort the second PC. Since the second account doesn't exist this will probably take a long time, say, roughly the same length of time as the hunt takes. Attention to detail is everything. When the hunt is over and you're back at the entrance again, make sure you've already said to everyone you just got the second PC up and running again. They might notice the cleric standing there.

There you have it. You've hunted in a group. Bet it felt strange, eh?

You'll thank me when you get your little gimp to 50.

Linnet

Fledgling Freddie
"Now, if you owned a bot, there would be no way you'd make a gimp like a cabby, you'd be off being sexy and uber with something like an infiltrator."

That's so 2003 :)

NeonBlue

Fledgling Freddie
cabbies/theurgs/sorcs....all seem to be FOTM atm...judging by what ive seen

.....so pointless thread tbh

Killerbee

Fledgling Freddie
NeonBlue said:
cabbies/theurgs/sorcs....all seem to be FOTM atm...judging by what ive seen

.....so pointless thread tbh
ZzZzZz

Nice post Roo :clap:

Airalith

Loyal Freddie
Tis just so sad that its true :(
Givf group utility imo! Every1 who thinks cabbys should get PBT PBaoE and are 9 second stun raise your hand :clap:
Overpowered? i thnk not ;)

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
:clap: Excellent work, really needed a laugh this early in the morning.:clap:

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
<remembers Elim shouting Ice Wizzy lfg and nearly inviting him>

It was only when I clicked on you to invite you and noticed it said "You examine Elim. He is a member of the cabalist class in your realm" that I paused :p

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Great thread this, a shame that it's so true.

You know.. some people stick to the class they chose first, in my case a sorcerer, but I know an ex-Excaliber Cabby who sticked to his class but got so fed up of not getting any groups and all the spots being camped by necromancers (no offense) that he quit the game.

I still think that 8 slots is just not enough.

Balbor

Fledgling Freddie
a guy in my guild has 2 Level 50 cabalists (Matter and Spirit) and i think hes planning a 3rd body spec one

Old Nicodemus

Loyal Freddie
Strangely enough.. this was so true when Roo and I made Spiritmasters ;) change a few things and it's release day again!

liste

Fledgling Freddie
bit like infiltrators too. make people think you're a merc with a better fashion sense and you're sorted. obviously enough, you have a bot. i mean, you're an inf..

Derric

Fledgling Freddie
liste said:
bit like infiltrators too. make people think you're a merc with a better fashion sense and you're sorted. obviously enough, you have a bot. i mean, you're an inf..

You must've had a hard time convincing people that you actually had a sense of fashion under all that pink leather. :p

Buliwyf

Fledgling Freddie
:worthy:

Keep it up Roo (u will allways be Roo to me) :)
It's these kind of threads that make it worth reading fh imo

Linnet

Fledgling Freddie
Derric said:
You must've had a hard time convincing people that you actually had a sense of fashion under all that pink leather. :p

Do you really want to know what he had under that pink leather?

zolty mudcaster

Fledgling Freddie
Hehe :)

Very funny reading :)

But I must admit that Cabby / Theu at least seems like Fotm .. the last week we have 4 new Theu´s in guild .. 4 .. 1 month ago there was 1 ... me :)

Zolty Mudcaster
50 Earth Theu
Venator
37 Slash Reaver
Zolta Mudcaster
20 Earth Wizard

Tafaya Anathas

Fledgling Freddie
:clap:

Sadly I haven't got the skills to act like this in AC so my cabby still 45 after more then a year :)

Buliwyf said:
:worthy:

Keep it up Roo (u will allways be Roo to me) :)
It's these kind of threads that make it worth reading fh imo

totally agree made me chuckle as im levelling my spirit baby..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom