How to Actually Destroy the Whole Earth!

Discussion in 'The Front Room' started by Frizz, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Frizz

Frizz Can't get enough of FH

Ways to go one better than nuking merely people:

http://ned.ucam.org/~sdh31/misc/destroy.html

Completely farcical, but a good, fun and time-consuming read nonetheless. :)

I like
    And beggars the question; if we stop thinking about God, will it go away?

2. ReActor

ReActor Fledgling Freddie

Fraid God is too persistent an idea to ever completely go away.

As for the website, it's pretty well written and funny. I like the idea of the entire physical planet as "The Enemy".

3. Chilly

Chilly Balls of steel

I enjoy the HGTTG logic disputing god's existence - i've forgotten it for the time being, but it involves the babelfish.

4. sibanac

sibanac Fledgling Freddie

went samething along the lines off:
    the babelfish is such a wonderfull thing that it proves god must exists, there for there is no belief in god since we know he exists, and god cant exist without belief so god vanishes.
    Then man goes on to prove that black is white and gets killed at the next zebra crossing

5. Chilly

Chilly Balls of steel

aye, I remember now :) fanks sib, O fountain of crap.

6. Tenko

Tenko Fledgling Freddie

Best thing I've read in ages

One of many brilliant lines is the following from the list of things that won't destroy the world.

Class :)

7. Mazling

Mazling Fledgling Freddie

About the babelfish...

8. Gil

Gil Can't get enough of FH

Made me laugh just reading the header

9. kanonfodda

kanonfodda Fledgling Freddie

made me laugh :D

cracking site :clap:

10. TdC

TdC Trem's hunky sex love muffin Staff member Moderator

someone tell me what a strangelet is. I'm too hungover to find out for my self and haven't had enough coffee to even remember what hadronic stuff is :(

11. sibanac

some subatomic particle, negatively charged, made when certain quarks combine.
    theoreticaly it would eat all matter it came into contact with

beard++

12. tris-

tris- Failed Geordie and Parmothief

the thing with black holes - are they supposed to be cone shaped? is there only meant to be one way into a black hole and that si through the front of it or from any angle can you get sucked in?
    ^
    <O>
    ^ any angle

/ ____MATTER
    \
    straight in

if you see what i mean

13. TdC

you don't get sucked into a black hole, you get plated across it's surface.

14. tris-

ok but STILL, can this only happen from the front after you go over the horizon thingy or can it happen from any 'side' of it. i mean does the horizon go all around te thing like a sphere or is cone shaped and only has the horizon at the 'front'.

15. TdC

hmm gravity will always be pointing at the center of the mass. it will be a ball, and gravity will pull you down to the surface from any side or angle. iirc science fiction tells me that there will be a neutronium core covered by a thin layer of collapsed matter. a black hole is not a "hole" in the universe, it is an extremely high mass object in space. due to the huge mass it sits at the bottom of a very deep gravity well from which nothing ecapes, not even light. scientists can spot black holes not by seeing the object itself but by seeing it's influence on matter around it and the X (iirc) and gamma rays given off by matter being pulled into the well. not really my subject tbh.

16. sibanac

ok a black hole is a sphere, whats called the event horizon is actualy a sphere around the blackhole.
    it is the point where gravity is so high that even light cant escape the gravity.

(thats just a discription off the top of my head, there might be other blackhole models that are totaly difrent.
    but since stephen hawking doesnt post here afaik you'll have to settle for this)

17. tris-

ok that makes sense, for some reason the only models i have ever seen are cone shaped. stephen hawking rocks btw.

18. sibanac

If the models you've seen where a flat plane with a conic(spelling ?) depression in the middle, then what you've seen was a model of the space time distorsion caused by a blackhole.

19. TdC

I saw a brilliant poster of the gravity wells of our solar system compared to a black hole's impact on spacetime. the black hole's imprint didn't fit on the page o_O