How to Actually Destroy the Whole Earth!

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Ways to go one better than nuking merely people:

http://ned.ucam.org/~sdh31/misc/destroy.html

Completely farcical, but a good, fun and time-consuming read nonetheless. :)

I like
Ceasing all thought (if the Earth is not observed, then how can it exist?). Philip K. Dick said it best: "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

And beggars the question; if we stop thinking about God, will it go away?

ReActor

Fledgling Freddie
Sir Frizz said:
And beggars the question; if we stop thinking about God, will it go away?
Fraid God is too persistent an idea to ever completely go away.

As for the website, it's pretty well written and funny. I like the idea of the entire physical planet as "The Enemy".

Chilly

Balls of steel
I enjoy the HGTTG logic disputing god's existence - i've forgotten it for the time being, but it involves the babelfish.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Chilly said:
I enjoy the HGTTG logic disputing god's existence - i've forgotten it for the time being, but it involves the babelfish.
went samething along the lines off:
the babelfish is such a wonderfull thing that it proves god must exists, there for there is no belief in god since we know he exists, and god cant exist without belief so god vanishes.
Then man goes on to prove that black is white and gets killed at the next zebra crossing

Chilly

Balls of steel
aye, I remember now :) fanks sib, O fountain of crap.

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
Best thing I've read in ages

One of many brilliant lines is the following from the list of things that won't destroy the world.

Gay marriage.

Class :)

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
About the babelfish...
Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind boggingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.
The argument goes something like this:
`I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'
`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'
`Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.

Gil

Can't get enough of FH
6. Destroyed by vacuum energy detonation

• You will need: a light bulb

Made me laugh just reading the header

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
someone tell me what a strangelet is. I'm too hungover to find out for my self and haven't had enough coffee to even remember what hadronic stuff is :(

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
TdC said:
someone tell me what a strangelet is. I'm too hungover to find out for my self and haven't had enough coffee to even remember what hadronic stuff is :(
some subatomic particle, negatively charged, made when certain quarks combine.
theoreticaly it would eat all matter it came into contact with

beard++

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
the thing with black holes - are they supposed to be cone shaped? is there only meant to be one way into a black hole and that si through the front of it or from any angle can you get sucked in?
^
<O>
^ any angle

/ ____MATTER
\
straight in

if you see what i mean

TdC

you don't get sucked into a black hole, you get plated across it's surface.

tris-

ok but STILL, can this only happen from the front after you go over the horizon thingy or can it happen from any 'side' of it. i mean does the horizon go all around te thing like a sphere or is cone shaped and only has the horizon at the 'front'.

TdC

hmm gravity will always be pointing at the center of the mass. it will be a ball, and gravity will pull you down to the surface from any side or angle. iirc science fiction tells me that there will be a neutronium core covered by a thin layer of collapsed matter. a black hole is not a "hole" in the universe, it is an extremely high mass object in space. due to the huge mass it sits at the bottom of a very deep gravity well from which nothing ecapes, not even light. scientists can spot black holes not by seeing the object itself but by seeing it's influence on matter around it and the X (iirc) and gamma rays given off by matter being pulled into the well. not really my subject tbh.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
ok but STILL, can this only happen from the front after you go over the horizon thingy or can it happen from any 'side' of it. i mean does the horizon go all around te thing like a sphere or is cone shaped and only has the horizon at the 'front'.

ok a black hole is a sphere, whats called the event horizon is actualy a sphere around the blackhole.
it is the point where gravity is so high that even light cant escape the gravity.

(thats just a discription off the top of my head, there might be other blackhole models that are totaly difrent.
but since stephen hawking doesnt post here afaik you'll have to settle for this)

tris-

ok that makes sense, for some reason the only models i have ever seen are cone shaped. stephen hawking rocks btw.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
ok that makes sense, for some reason the only models i have ever seen are cone shaped. stephen hawking rocks btw.
If the models you've seen where a flat plane with a conic(spelling ?) depression in the middle, then what you've seen was a model of the space time distorsion caused by a blackhole.

TdC

I saw a brilliant poster of the gravity wells of our solar system compared to a black hole's impact on spacetime. the black hole's imprint didn't fit on the page o_O

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom