How much do LPs weigh?

granny

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone got any idea how much vinyl LP's weigh? Roughly?

I've got a colelction of over 200 that I don't play any more because, well, I don't have a record player. So I thought I'd ebay the lot of them but realised it would be a good idea of how much postage would be in the unlikely event someone would actually want to buy such a random and mixed collection of old vinyl :)

Will

/bin/su
Weigh 10 or 20 on your kitchen scales and divide?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Let me know whats in your collection, if its any good (and in good condition) I might have the lot from you.

A good pressing from the 70's, and the vinyl will weigh no more than about 180grams. Include the sleeve, and I guess about 250grams tops?

Later 80's and 90's pressings will weigh less than 150 grams total.

granny

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
Let me know whats in your collection, if its any good (and in good condition) I might have the lot from you.

A good pressing from the 70's, and the vinyl will weigh no more than about 180grams. Include the sleeve, and I guess about 250grams tops?

Later 80's and 90's pressings will weigh less than 150 grams total.

Cheers Tom. I'm gonna make a complete list tonight. There's a lot of shit in there though :p I used to buy 1 or 2 records every week when I was a student, random crap a lot of it. All second hand too so a lot of them are in fairly ropey condition Oo

xane

Fledgling Freddie
granny said:
If divide=multiply then yeah, good idea :p

I think you'll find he was referring to your original question which was how much an individual LP weighs.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Pink Floyd albums weigh more as they have longer songs on them.

Sorry :(

Tom

I am a FH squatter
lol thats like the old joke we use when carrying equipment around on a shoot. You tell the wet-behind-the-ears researcher/runner to carry the flat batteries, as they'll be lighter.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Tom said:
lol thats like the old joke we use when carrying equipment around on a shoot. You tell the wet-behind-the-ears researcher/runner to carry the flat batteries, as they'll be lighter.

Which is actually quite technically correct.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Actually, you're correct, but being pedantic I'd have to correct you by saying that any vinyl album/record only has 1 groove per side.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Tom said:
er ok leggy.....

Are you telling me that they aren't lighter?

Flat batteries have less electrons which have a finite weight, therefore flat batteries will be lighter.

Patronising ****.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Allow me to correct you leggy. The batteries will not have 'less electrons', they will have precisely the same number of electrons, as the flow of electrical current is merely the movement of negatively charged electrons, balanced against positively charged 'holes'.

You can charge a capacitor this way, and yes, the batteries might contain fewer electrons, but in effect, the battery would quickly balance itself back to a quiescent state from the flow of electrons through the air.

Saying batteries are lighter upon discharge is a bit like saying that sea levels would rise if all the icebergs melted.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Shit analogy. Sea levels will rise. There won't be anymore water, but the overall volume will be greater as the density of the water changing from a solid to a liquid will be less.

/edit

I have clearly dug myself a nice hole with the battery comment, but please lose the patronising tone. twat. The analogy was obviously quite correct. and I will now proceed to stop talking.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
Actually, you're correct, but being pedantic I'd have to correct you by saying that any vinyl album/record only has 1 groove per side.

Apart from Monty Python's Matching Tie and Hankerchief :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
heh, sorry, I didn't mean to sound patronising, which is why I didn't say "hey leggy you stupid twat, blah blah" :)

The sea levels wouldn't change, as the icebergs themselves displace only their own volume from the sea. It matters not how dense they are while frozen, the more dense icebergs would merely float lower in the sea, displacing more water.

Sorry again if I sounded patronising.

You miserable git! :D

xane

Fledgling Freddie
leggy said:
Shit analogy. Sea levels will rise. There won't be anymore water, but the overall volume will be greater as the density of the water changing from a solid to a liquid will be less.

Ice is less dense than water, when ice melts the volume goes down and the density goes up.

As regarding icebergs this is partially countered by the little bit of ice sticking out of water that will give a net increase.

leggy

Probably Scottish
volume is density dependant :) So there would be a volumetric change.

And after a brief discussion with the local physicist we have decided the batteries would weigh less. Not because of the number of electrons though as I previously suggested. The energy in the fully charged battery would technically have a mass. This mass is no longer available when the battery is fully discharged.

Feel free to knock me down again though :)

/edit

sorry I am a grumpy twat :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Yes, but the lower density of ice would not matter, it is the total displacement that counts. Oxygen is much less dense than water, but if you could create a sphere several miles across, and immerse it in the ocean, the total displacement would not be any less than the same sphere being made from Iron, or even a vacuum.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
perhaps granny should weigh the LPs before and after they are played and take an average, the static build up during playback is going to effect the weight.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
xane said:
perhaps granny should weigh the LPs before and after they are played and take an average, the static build up during playback is going to effect the weight.

better clean them first to ensure that no dust/fluff particles have been attracted to the lp surface, thereby increasing the weight.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
leggy said:
And after a brief discussion with the local physicist we have decided the batteries would weigh less. Not because of the number of electrons though as I previously suggested. The energy in the fully charged battery would technically have a mass. This mass is no longer available when the battery is fully discharged.

I'd love to be proved wrong on this point, but the chemical nature of a battery does not agree with what you're saying. The energy from a battery comes from the transfer of electrons from chemical to another. The electrons are still 'there' while the battery is discharged, but to utilise them again, you need to transfer them back across into the correct chemical. This is why to charge a battery, you use a reverse current.

The battery therefore weighs the same.

leggy

Probably Scottish
If that was true I'd have a cold fusion reactor in my bedroom supplying my house with free energy. What you are saying suggests energy is free and can be created from nothing. Like I said when I corrected myself there is no change in the number electrons but in the chemical energy the battery can supply.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Can I just mention that the whole thing about global warming and the icecaps melting and the sea levels rising is a bit of bad science.

Warm seas would have higher levels because of the expansion of the water, regardless of whether ice caps melt or not. The fact that ice caps are melting is only an indication, not a contributor, to sea level rise.

Everything being equal, ice melting would actually make sea levels lower, but the reality of having large amounts of ice above the sea means that this decrease is counterbalanced by the extra water from it.

The whole "ice caps melting making sea levels rise" is therefore correct but a wrong deduction, it's the fact that the sea is warmer which makes the levels rise AND the ice caps melt, it's about consequence and cause.

Thus, by way of this enviromentalist myth, we get confusion amongst the masses :)

Ice is less dense and a larger volume (displacement), that's why pipes burst in winter and ice cubes float in your drink.

granny

Fledgling Freddie
*backs slowly away from entire thread making soothing noises and reaching surreptitiously for the phone*

leggy

Probably Scottish
*goes to bed*

Ok I was wrong about the icecaps but i'm not about the battery weighing less. It was a completely pedantic comment to make and am sorry. I should have left it at "er ok leggy..."

Thx bye :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
No. There exists in the battery, say, 100 electons. When charged, 99 of those electrons are in one chemical, the other 1 is on the other side. When discharged, the reverse is true.

To get them all back in place, you induce a reverse current flow, which restores the previous balance. During the lifetime of a battery, the chemicals which allow this process degrade, and become contaminated (by the other internal components), and thus the battery life degrades. There will always be the same number of electrons present, they just won't be arranged in quite the same configuration.

Fusion power is achieved from heat, and not electron flow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom