How fast do you learn a class?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Ok, strange question, but from a new player perspective quite an important one.

Let's say i start a warrior:

How many levels would it take(about) for me to know how the battle works with the class, what the individual quirks are and such?

The reason i'm asking this is the notorious "choosing" problem we have in massives. I used to play DAoC..put down those pitchforks, i said USED TO PLAY...and i went through all the classes before choosing which fit my playstyle.

Now, we all want to choose a class and stick with it to get into the "endgame", fight big-a** mobs and such, so i don't want to spend my first three months trying to figure out what i wanna play.

So, in a nutshell, how long does it take to get a basic comprehension of a class and how it's played.

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
its quite easy to get upto lvl 8-12 in a few hours playing it would seem to me.
imo its around lvl 15ish after u get a few talent points when u have most of your skills taht u see how the class works.. thats just me tho.
if u read up about the classes and generalisation on the offical site mateh pick 1 u like the sound of try it to 15ish if ya dont like it try another 1.

also http://www.worldofwar.net/ is amazing site imo. each class has its own lil section which shows all teh skills u get and at what levels.. it also has the talent tool. this lets u see all the skills u get for each class and forward plan what to put all your points into. imo its great to see what skills/talents each class gets.

another idea is put down the kind of playstyle u have and ask for recommendations of what u can play like that :) as long as people give reason for them thinking why u might like that class it should help.

:fluffle: for teh seel

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
different for all classes

you can get a "feel" for each class by level 10, but it all changes so much, by lvl 10 you will only know solo pve. at high level, the endgame mobs and such are all group kills obviously, and you have a much different role to that in solo pve..

i dont think it will help you making all chars to 10 though, i have always loved priest, on usa i had one at 40, i had a 16 warrior that i decided was shit.
on eu i made a rogue which is mm, lvl 50 now.. but i found myself giving up on that char to be what i really wanted to play: a warrior.

Urme the Legend

Fledgling Freddie
Tell me what class you enjoyed the most in DAoC and I will tell you which class you should play in WoW! :cheers:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Urme the Legend said:
Tell me what class you enjoyed the most in DAoC and I will tell you which class you should play in WoW! :cheers:

You don't want me to answer that :p

But since you insist.

I liked to stealth, mmm, nothing like going afkstealth and also loving to scare new(and even older) players by sending pets to stick to them, liked dabbling around with magic, oh especailly bladeturn, and long range shooting is always fun. The speed of a skald, among with restsongs made that a very enjoyable class to play and the brute force and solopower of a zerker was extremely fun. I liked being able to heal people, rez them, keeping people alive and basicly just chill while we hunted around....

Starting to see my problem? :p

Urme the Legend

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:
You don't want me to answer that :p

But since you insist.

I liked to stealth, mmm, nothing like going afkstealth and also loving to scare new(and even older) players by sending pets to stick to them, liked dabbling around with magic, oh especailly bladeturn, and long range shooting is always fun. The speed of a skald, among with restsongs made that a very enjoyable class to play and the brute force and solopower of a zerker was extremely fun. I liked being able to heal people, rez them, keeping people alive and basicly just chill while we hunted around....

Starting to see my problem? :p

Shaman is your class! :> They can't stealth but you can't get everything :)

or wait ... you can! Druid! :)

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
The problem gets even bigger in this game, as the classes are actually all a lot of fun :p

You could play them all, if you do not think the quests will get repetitive, but you will see when you get the game of course :D

(waits for Danya to come up with a witty comment)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I don't think repetitive or "grind" is a problem in my book.

Been playing hidden and dangerous 2 for two days now, lonewolf mode....takes more patience then a hollywood plastic surgeon.

Also i've been playing the same spot over and over and still not bored :p

What i did forget to mention that i gotta have a dorf. Always a dorf. Just a thing i have for fat, short, axe wielding beardie fellows...err...i'm sick...

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
lmao. dorf be rogue hunter warrior priest or pally i think. pally heal and rez. can whack alot and solo v well. they get 2 insta shields which stop them from being hurt kinda like BT but not really. an heals ofc reduce downtime easy.
ofc they dont have stealth or any proper magic but lots of weird buff type things and a insta dmg spell or 2 but have no long range as far as i know they are the only1 without.
rogue can stealth ofc. can use guns just to pot shot stuff no magic at all tho.
warriors can pot shot stuff with ranged weps and generally solo well no magic tho.
hunters are just big ranged forks with pets to tank and can pve solo really really well. self buffs with a speed buff at 20 helps u get around faster.
and priest... well priest just fkin pwn (im not biased honest) soz but i love my priest for everything he is.

altho yeah u can get everything of that in a druid... but u would have to be NE or tauren. they cank tank in bear form. stealth in cat form. they can be healers. they can be spellcasters. they also get what imo is 1 of the best buffs in the game. at 30 they get travel form which makes em run abit faster to.

ahh u make my brain hurt seel when i try to find something u would like.
play em all tbh. thats what im gonna do eventually. priest is 49 atm got a 31rogue. a 20druid a 13 pally and a 7 mage atm... i like to dabble around and hope to have 1 of each class at 60 eventually unless ireally dont like them.
and tbh about the repititive thing. it can get like that. but i have a a fairly easy routine going now in the human start areas. i can quest almost non stop to 20 in just over a day.
so it doesnt take long if u do like to play alts.... just 1 thing about it that i do hate... the fkin murlocs.. everytime i have to kill them the most annoying mob ever im gonna rape every single 1 of them with a nuke ahhhh!

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
old.Tohtori said:
old.Tohtori said:
What i did forget to mention that i gotta have a dorf. Always a dorf. Just a thing i have for fat, short, axe wielding beardie fellows...err...i'm sick...
Dwarf Hunter (speed, range shooting, pets, no stealth) and a Dwarf Priest (heal, rez, shields, magic) would be your best bet.

Leveling two chars isn't hard and quite beneficial as you'll mostly find magic items that you won't use if you don't have a lower level character of another class.

General feel for the class; around level 20. Before then you won't have most of your skills/spells. (nor speed for Hunters). You should've done some group PvE in instances by then as well.

Evoknox

Fledgling Freddie
What Whisperess said: you get the general feeling of the class around 20, if you're entirely new to the game I'd say it would take about 20 hours to get to 20.

Now there's quite some things you like, so there's quite a few classes to choose from in WoW

Stealth, pets, ranged, high melee dps, heals.

Ranged/Pet - hunter is the only class here, very good solo PvE/grind class with pets. Pet tanks the mob and you can shoot it without getting agro from a safe distance with decent dps. Hunter is the most pet dependant class, the entire hunter class is balanced around them having a pet.

Stealth/DPS - Rogue, reason why I'm saying DPS here is that rogues outdamage warriors. Also a very good grind class.

Heals - Guess priest fits your playstyle for being the main healer in the game, also a very solid (overpowered? flame me) pvp class. altough paladins/shamans/druids can heal none heals as effective as a priest.

Gat_Decor

Fledgling Freddie
Evoknox said:
Heals - Guess priest fits your playstyle for being the main healer in the game, also a very solid (overpowered? flame me) pvp class.

Try playing a holy specced priest PVE or PVP then you might think differently

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Tasslehoff said:
The problem gets even bigger in this game, as the classes are actually all a lot of fun :p

You could play them all, if you do not think the quests will get repetitive, but you will see when you get the game of course :D

(waits for Danya to come up with a witty comment)
Me? Bah. :(

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Gat_Decor said:
Try playing a holy specced priest PVE or PVP then you might think differently
Priests have more spec choices than the holy line.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So, let's talk more about me :p

If i want a long range/ pet class, is the warlock a valid option over the hunter? Disregarding my choice in race.

Warlock, in all it's confusing mageynes, has peeked my interest somewhat.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Warlocks are a lot of fun, with a lot of utility in groups. I read there is a problem 'end game' wise, in that mobs can have a maximum of only eight magical effects on them ... thus our curses/dots get overwritten a lot, meaning we are there mostly for healthstones (handing out one use healing items) and soulstone (using a spell reagent to auto-rez a healer, very useful after a wipeout). The other problem we have is that our two top pets are only useful, realistically, for five minute periods before they turn on the warlock and his party ... they do look very cool, though, and pack a punch.

Depending on how you want to spec a warlock can do a fair few different things. Destruction warlocks are mage-wannabee's and can hand out serious hurting, Affliction locks are excellent at grinding and Demonology warlocks (such as myself) are tough as old nails and hard to kill, with powerful pets into the mix.

Didn't like hunter myself, got mine to level 9 (lol) in closed beta and haven't been tempted to roll one since.

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
warlock is ranged and has kool pets (succbus is fit)
but i know some who have trouble keeping the agro on their pets while solo-ing.
dont really know to much about em as the only mate i got who plays 1 constantly whines he cant keep agro on his VW for solo and cant find any quests. but apart from that they seem to kick ass as hes developed a new technique where he tanks the mobs lol.
they do have a insane amount of dots it seems but been told unless u spec talents into it they are somewhat lacking in the upfront payload department (not a sexual innuendo) but warlocks nicest ability is fear. esp for pvp.
u dot ur mob u fear it and u also get hp/mana drains that are quite useful.
ur pets range from ur lil imp who tbh can be nice in a grp just for the stamina buff.
ur Voidwalker whos a nice tank if u can keep agro on it.
the succbus does nice dmg and has the loverly seduce ability which can be good CC
and the felhunter which looks freaky but kool imo. which is great for fighting casters as it has its own counterspell.
musnt 4get to mention u can pet infernal and doomguards at later lvls altho not met any1 with 1 yet he he.

wow for something i know little about i sure can write a buttload of parp :D

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Turamber, i read on thottbot about the big summon critters, such as doomguard, and how they turn on you after 5minutes.

Is it basicly insta death on your behalf, or is there a way(like before the five minutes is up) to get rid of the bugger?

Or is it, when five minutes is up, you fight and most the time die.

EDIT: Oh and does soullink effect a enchanted demonguard etc? Or does it only mean summoned demons?

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
decent warlocks enslave the doomguard when it spawns ;)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Brynn said:
decent warlocks enslave the doomguard when it spawns ;)

Yes but after the five minutes is up, they turn on you. That's what i was asking about :D

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Only 56 right now, but my guildmate is 60 and likes playing with his Doomguard. Like with any other enslaved demon, if you cast curse of shadows before enslave the enslave will last longer. Also, speccing Supression in the Affliction line makes the enslave last longer.

If you check out www.ashenrose.org one of my guildmates has created a tool that times how long your pet has been enslaved so you can prepare for it to break.

When it does break it's not "insta-death", you can banish it and run away - or, apparently, if you keep it banished for a minute with repeated casts it resets the pet timer. Another way is to have a couple of 'locks who swap the pet between themselves when it breaks. Alternatively if you think he's going to break you can tell him to stay in a position, and then move out of pet range.

Not sure if I've ever tried to soul-link with an enslaved demon, will check it out later and let you know!

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Postscript: Yes, you can indeed soul link with an enslaved demon :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Thanks for the info. Seems more and more interesting as a class choice.

Siphon

Fledgling Freddie
Cba to read the first post but I'm gonna guess what it's about from the topic:

I can play any class almost perfectly at lvl 10-15... My biggest problem is hotkeys and placing the icons at the right hotbar spaces and stuff like that... That and naming my character is a pain in the azizzle...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
old.Tohtori said:
So, let's talk more about me :p

If i want a long range/ pet class, is the warlock a valid option over the hunter? Disregarding my choice in race.

Warlock, in all it's confusing mageynes, has peeked my interest somewhat.

u dont want a hunter. yes they solo pve ok:ish i suppose. but ur more or less doomed in pvp if ur ever wanna try it with a hunter. we ARE a unfinnished class (blizzards own words) and from looking at the patch notes the "fixing" of a hunter will mostly be nerfs (increased dodging, blocks, (parry**?!?) of ranged attacks. reduced damage from the pet etc etc etc...) coz were almost useful as it is now. and we cant have that now can we?

**yes ppl will acually be able to parry a hunters ranged attacks soon...

if u want a ranged class with a pet, warlock is the much better option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom