How do you tackle mages as a warrior?

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
unless i get the jump its a lost cause for me at level 30, tho i just got rush so i spose that makes things better tho last mage i fought i died too fast and all this changing stances is hard to get used to, but i love the class so :D

so how do you handle mages? if i spot them first and rush it seems to go ok, bit anoying but once hammies in things go smoother :)

exponentiaL

Fledgling Freddie
I normally spot Hordes with my Gnome Warrior first, so then it's rather easy to charge in, hamstring and start beating him.. If he uses his nova to keep me still I wait and let him nuke, then intercept him ( you should get this asap at 30..! ), the hamstring will be off him so I hamstring him again, he will probably have both Frost Nova and Blink on cooldown so this is where you give him everything you've got!

One more little piece of advice; Get that Whirlwind Axe! ( You get a quest for this axe after getting your Berserker Stance, at your trainer, though it's quite a hard quest to pull off on your own. I'd suggest you ask one of your mates that has a 45+ Character to help you get the ingredients for the quest and then help you kill Cyclonian who is a 40 Elite Elemental. )

My Warrior is currently 39 and as Warriors are depending on their gear alot, this axe is really worth it!

Hope this helps.

exponentiaL

Fledgling Freddie
Danya said:
I always save blink for the intercept. ;)

You wouldn't believe how many mages spam their blink after they get hit by anything at all. ;)

Oh, and fix 'escape artist' so we can get out of frost nova. ;<

Gray

FH is my second home
If i get frozen i just used my Insignia of the Horde trinket to get me out of those sticky situations, the mages never expect it when youre just the right distance away to use the intercept knocking them silly...

Still dont like ranged attackers though as my warrior

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Gray said:
If i get frozen i just used my Insignia of the Horde trinket to get me out of those sticky situations, the mages never expect it when youre just the right distance away to use the intercept knocking them silly...
Last warrior that trinketted my frost nova managed to do it a split second before my sheep landed. Not exactly what he was hoping for I think. :p

SevenSins

Fledgling Freddie
Hit mage, Chilled (30% snare), get Frost Nova'd; Trinket>Intercept <Blink> Get Polied, await Frostbolt/Pyroblast/Firebolt nuke, in the 1st case it's /cry /cry /cry at Intercept being on Cooldown and you not going out of combat for charge and being kited with perma-snare from bolt/Frost Armor, in the other 2 cases it's pray the mage doesn't crit and just live trough the nuke(s) then unleash squirrely wrath.

Frost mages are more ewul than Fire mages, altho Arcane power mages can be quite ewul aswell with lots of +dmg gear =(

Usually when you get the jump tho (and take it from me, 7 out of 10 people playing their class usually are proper shite at it, even full MC kitted toons, lack reflexes etc) just Charge>Bloodrage>Hit>MS watch mage blink > Intercept>Hit>MS>Exec /spam spit (if your Alliance).

If you think your up vs a proper mage though (and your over level 50), my advice is: Recklessness is your friend; but time it right as Polymorph'll fuck your 30 min timer over if the mage spots it :p

And now more on-topic, don't bother trying mages till you get Mortal Strike unless your certain it's a shite player (or use Good-Inspect if you can get the jump and check how many blues they have, below 2 blues = usually free kill if you have a proper weapon :p)

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
dunno tbh i just die against most mages they seem to be real lucky with crits on me :/ The best way to beat em is to be fury specced so you got improved intercept and to have nice kit

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
exponentiaL said:
I normally spot Hordes with my Gnome Warrior first, so then it's rather easy to charge in, hamstring and start beating him.. If he uses his nova to keep me still I wait and let him nuke, then intercept him ( you should get this asap at 30..! ), the hamstring will be off him so I hamstring him again, he will probably have both Frost Nova and Blink on cooldown so this is where you give him everything you've got!

One more little piece of advice; Get that Whirlwind Axe! ( You get a quest for this axe after getting your Berserker Stance, at your trainer, though it's quite a hard quest to pull off on your own. I'd suggest you ask one of your mates that has a 45+ Character to help you get the ingredients for the quest and then help you kill Cyclonian who is a 40 Elite Elemental. )

My Warrior is currently 39 and as Warriors are depending on their gear alot, this axe is really worth it!

Hope this helps.

yeh got whirlwind now at lvl 30, just need to find a mage to fight hehe :)

if they get the jump it all gets too hard, if i bloodrage and intercept they can blink out of it and while im trying to run to them they usually get a frost bolt or something off, then frost nova and im stuck, i try escape artist but it only seems to work 50% of the time not sure whats up with that.

what seems to be more difficult is the fact that we need to chance stances to use all our abilities, and the weapons we have equiped, so to shield slam i need change to defence, and change to 1h and shield, thats 3 click, and usually a loss of rage (got tactical mastery 3 now which makes things easier) then need to change back to battle stance and 2h to do any real damage etc. Anyone suggest any good mods for this instead? :D

exponentiaL

Fledgling Freddie
Darksword said:
yeh got whirlwind now at lvl 30, just need to find a mage to fight hehe :)

if they get the jump it all gets too hard, if i bloodrage and intercept they can blink out of it and while im trying to run to them they usually get a frost bolt or something off, then frost nova and im stuck, i try escape artist but it only seems to work 50% of the time not sure whats up with that.

what seems to be more difficult is the fact that we need to chance stances to use all our abilities, and the weapons we have equiped, so to shield slam i need change to defence, and change to 1h and shield, thats 3 click, and usually a loss of rage (got tactical mastery 3 now which makes things easier) then need to change back to battle stance and 2h to do any real damage etc. Anyone suggest any good mods for this instead? :D

Wait till you get Pummel, an ability that interrupts a spell etc for like 4 sec it was. Another thingy; respec! and if not, get tact. mastery 5/5 so you will always have enough rage to get that disarm/whirlwind/MS/intercept in, instead of having to run after a mage while constantly being snared with too little rage to do anything..

Oh and what I did was never do heroic strike if it wasn't needed.. I'd rather just keep rage for abilities like intercept and then finish off with an execute etc.

About the shield bash, if you really want to do it, just put the icon of your shield and shieldbash next to each other in some distance of the rest of your styles ( as you only use it once a while ) or get a mod that fixes swapping stances combined with weapons.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
A good mage will always be hard as hell for a good warrior to take down, i got lv50 warrior alt and mages are the only class that really causes me problems but hunters can be a bit tricky too if they kite.Now as a mage which is my main i have problems vs good shadow priest/druid/rogue(though i have only lost to 2 ever since i made a bad mistake on both xE).

I love my warrior, new hamstring talent rocks at lv3 it's a MUST HAVE in my opinion and also get tactical mastery 5/5 for sure, intercepting during a battle is vital a lot of the time.Just got my warrior a reaper too....only took my mage 7 hours to farm the cash. :)

Afran

Part of the furniture
Sycho said:
Just got my warrior a reaper too....only took my mage 7 hours to farm the cash. :)

What's it sell for on your server? :eek:

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Danya said:
Skill and tactics. ;)

Odds are it was in dire maul tbh. :p

Nope.

Put it this way i probably could of bought 6 epic mounts or so now if i kept my cash and that's no bullshit.

Got to try get warrior unstoppable force after reaper then probably will aim for pvp gear as the pve sets take fucking ages to get for 2 characters.(i mean mc/bwl/onyxia/kazzak/azerugos stuff.)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Well I've spent about an epic mounts worth on respecs alone. Cash is easy to get in wow.

Of course Sycho just dupes epics. ;)

Afran

Part of the furniture
Still don't see how you could get 100g in 1 hour unless you had some epic drop like Krol blade :>

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Afran said:
Still don't see how you could get 100g in 1 hour unless you had some epic drop like Krol blade :>

I am doing 20 lv55-58 mobs constantly solo so.

I usually get 300-400 runecloth a session, 30-40g cash off mobs at least and shitloads to AH.Make around 150g a session over 2-3 hours, sometimes 200+ depends on how much drops i get....but like i say when you killing 15-20 mobs constantly over that period time it adds up real fast.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Aren't you fire spec sycho? Pulling that number of 55-58 mobs pretty much requires improved blizzard or a healer. :p

Afran

Part of the furniture
Danya said:
Aren't you fire spec sycho? Pulling that number of 55-58 mobs pretty much requires improved blizzard or a healer. :p
Sycho lv60 Undead Mage(21 arc/30 frost)

Sigs for the win. :)

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Afran said:
Sycho lv60 Undead Mage(21 arc/30 frost)

Sigs for the win. :)

Can't be bothered to change sig, i am 16 arc 35 frost.(perma frost 5, winter's chill 3, imp blizz 3.)

I fought a pala earlier who dispelled my frostbolt snare several times, was this added this patch? i've never seen a pala use it before.Anyway danya come to my server if you do not believe me. xD

Afran

Part of the furniture
Sycho said:
Can't be bothered to change sig, i am 16 arc 35 frost.(perma frost 5, winter's chill 3, imp blizz 3.)

I fought a pala earlier who dispelled my frostbolt snare several times, was this added this patch? i've never seen a pala use it before.Anyway danya come to my server if you do not believe me. xD
I'm gonna make an alt on your server some time so we can have mental conversations like in DAoC. xD

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Sycho said:

If you have imp blizz, I believe you. ;)

Palas have always been able to cleanse frostbolt snare. It's not that useful though as we can just reapply it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom