How do the servers work ?

tollstore

Fledgling Freddie
Ok first of all before we start im not complaining that servers are down I appreciate the fact that things go wrong and there have been plenty of updates on the issue.

I just wondered how it all works - As I understand the US get the updates long before us. So is it that the coding is then just copied onto our servers ? If so why would an issue like this not have shown up on the US servers ? I presume is a code issue as all servers taken down to prevent a cascade effect.

Like I say not complaining just genuinley interested to know how it all works :)

Magicthise

Fledgling Freddie
I believe there are hardware differences between the european and US servers, but also there are code changes, as the US patches are tweaked to work with the european servers, so it's not just a case of installing the code directly.

Thats where the test servers come in, but as they are not as heavily loaded with players, sometimes things like porting bugs don't always show up.

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Mythic write the code, so it goes on their servers first
GoA then get the code, and afaik it hasn't been written to any standard of internationalization so therefore certain parts must be rewritten to accomidate foriegn language servers.

So after thats done, we get the code.

The good new is that WAR will take internationalization into account from the onset.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
How they work? Plugged to power i guess -.-

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
In general it works like this:
Mythic develop the patch. When it is stable they put in on Pendragon for open testing. Once the balance issues and feedback has been considered and the test cycle is complete they roll it out on live servers. When they're satisfied that the patch is stable and any small fixes have been applied we get sent the patch.
This isn't the same code that was applied to the US servers as we have a different server setup and many things are different in the international version of the game.

We test the patch for stability on our test servers whilst simultaneously translating it to the other languages that we offer. There are short translation tests where we check that all the text has been properly translated and when we are satisfied that the patch is stable, all announced changes work correctly and translations are complete we put it live on our servers.

Because our server environment is different to Mythic's and our code version is also different there are lots of things that can affect only one version - many US only bugs never appeared over here and likewise we encounter problems that the American servers never experienced.

That is a general guide, sometimes things happen outside that normal framework.

MaCaBr3

Banned
Tbh, I can't blame you guys if something goes wrong. Updates in general are always pain in the ass wether they are servers, routers or even the software on ur home computer.

I've been working in IT for the last 5 years, in my case, updating the IOS software for a core router must be equally stressy as updating the daoc servers. You never know what the foshizle is gonna happen.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Requiel said:
This isn't the same code that was applied to the US servers as we have a different server setup and many things are different in the international version of the game.

This is the Mythic Server
server%20room.jpg

And this is the GOA server...thats why Mythic have to send us a different code.
2001-HBSP-IT-Server-MBillWires.jpg

MaCaBr3

Banned
Bahumat said:
This is the Mythic Server
server%20room.jpg

And this is the GOA server...thats why Mythic have to send us a different code.
2001-HBSP-IT-Server-MBillWires.jpg

I thought this was GOA server
your_office.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom