How are DAoC movies made?

F

fl3a

i am looking for one of these programs too.

i heard camtasia recorder is a program that is good for that kinda things, but last time i used it i used some trial and it was an older version. i think i should try a newer version of it

K

klavrynd

i think i have Aladora's setup bookmarked, but being at work ...

if i find it ill post it later

basically comes down to putting it thru tv-out, recording it, afterwards recording trru tv-in and editing it

O

old.m0000

best thing to do if u have a gf card with tv out is to record the output from the tv out to dvd / vhs (then u get no slowdown while ur playing)

then at a later stage capture the video from the vhs or rip the video from the dvd and edit as apropriate

N

)nick(

Or you can do it like I do, given the right hardware ofcourse.

TV-OUT PC1 -> TV-IN PC2

Record on PC2 with a tuner program that has a recording functionality built into it. This gives you no lag whatsoever on the pc you're playing on. Quality of the recording depends on the spec of PC2.

O

old.amoeba

Originally posted by -nicolas-
Or you can do it like I do, given the right hardware ofcourse.

TV-OUT PC1 -> TV-IN PC2

Record on PC2 with a tuner program that has a recording functionality built into it. This gives you no lag whatsoever on the pc you're playing on. Quality of the recording depends on the spec of PC2.

This, indeed, the best way.

Any method recording on the pc your playing on, is going to cause serious slowdown. And because daocs graphics engine is so badly coded, will probably render it unplayable.

F

fl3a

well, how bout with the SI engine? with the eyecandy turned off, it should run better than the old engine, which should make it possible to record ... i hope :)

O

old.amoeba

You might be able to record to mpeg 1 with a beefy machine, but this would be a huge file.

But I guess you could then convert the mpeg1->mpeg2 or even divx at your leisure.

Remember compression is a very cpu intensive business, and thats essentially what video recording is.

K

kameh

From an old post of mine:

I've been asked by a few people for this, it's about as much details as I can give:

Making DAOC movies

This post is just to show people how I make my DAOC movies, chances are that there are better, faster or easier setups than the one I use. But I’m very much still a newbie at this and learn so much every time I make one.

Step 1 – Record what you have on screen to the VCR

I liked this solution for 1 reason – no performance hit when playing the game. It also generally means smoother movies as there’s no writing to hard disk as it’s being recorded.

How do I..

My video card has 2 monitor outputs and a setting that allows you to “clone” the first screen (my monitor) to the second output (VCR). I have a small device called Trust televiewer that allows me to send this signal in PAL format to any VCR/TV, the device can also be used to split the signal from 1 monitor to 1monitor + TV/VCR if you have no secondary output on your video card.

Setting all this up was fairly straight forward, you’ll probably need to get a few cables especially if your VCR is SCART only like mine. Some tinkering may be needed to get the picture appearing clearly on the TV but if you have a basic knowledge of your PC and can work a VCR you’ll do fine :)

Your now able to record hours of continuous play, hit record and do whatever you want!

Step 2 – Capture what you recorded back to your PC

I use a Pinnacle DC10 video capture card, it’s not in any way the best on the market but at around £100 it was fairly cheap for a dedicated card that comes with all the software you need. The signal comes back from the VCR via a SCART to Composite video cable (you can get this from argos if you live in the UK from under £10).

The software I generally use just now is the same one that came with the DC10 card – Pinnacle studio 7. The software is very good with one problem.. it’s unbelievably unstable especially if your creating larger movies. I’ll be looking for an alternative capture/editing software for the next movie I make. There are a few things to remember when you capture your video.

1. Your movie will be more than 1 continual scene, if like mine it could be 30+ scenes stuck together with transitions. You can only add captures to the movie if they’re captured at the same frame rate as the first scene you add – if you start using a 25fps(PAL) clip you cant then add a 30fps clip later on.
2. Resolution – there’s no point in recording a clip at high resolution if the movie will be long and for distribution over the internet. People simply will not download 100Mb of movie that lasts 1 minute. By all means record it at a fairly high resolution but remember your computer has to be able to handle the larger files and of course you’ll run out of hard disk space quickly.
3. Brightness – Try to set the right contrast/brightness controls when you first record the clip, the main problem I have with recording DAOC at night is that it’s so dark at lower resolution you cant make anything out! Turn the brightness up a little, just enough so that figures etc are clear.
4. Naming clips – if your going to be recording a lot of indiviual clips/scenes name them clearing so you don’t lose track of what you have. You might also be able to use those clips later if you don’t on the movie your currently making.

Step 3 – Editing

Pinnacle Studio is really a newbie editing suite. Which is perfect for the likes of me. Text, etc can be added easily and transitions (fades) are done in a few clicks. I just wish it didn’t crash as often!

I did a lot of the more technical editing using a program called “ Media studio Pro 6” This is a few years old but it was the only one I had available to me. With this software the following becomes very easy, most of it had to be done because I hadnt taken things like my chat/menus into consideration when recording:

Resolution changing, changing clip FPS – I should listen to myself more often!, trimming the clip so that only the action is shown without menubars and chat boxes. There’s a lot more to the software but at the time making my Hibernia movie I had no need to use anything else.

Step 4 – Compiling the movie

I’m still learning this part as you’ll probably notice if you’ve seen my movies so I wont preach what I don’t know! Here’s some things I’ve learnt the hard way:

1. Try to keep transitions simple, complex or fancy ones can draw attention away from the action and have people focus on the fading between scenes!
2. Try not to have too many fast scene changes unless you really need to (fast paced music etc)
3. Watch the film, if your reasonably happy with it then watch it 3 or 4 times, pay attention to non-action elements like transitions and music.. is it in time with the movie, could you move a scene and make it work better with the music?
4. You don’t always need to have a fade or transition at all between scenes, some scenes naturally seem to work well together.
5. Don’t expect to get it right first time and never rush to the finish.
6. Mpegs are generally more compatible and smaller sized than most formats, there are WMF files also that are extremely compressed but not everyone can view these. Try to keep file sizes down, do you need the clip to be full screen resolution of would a small window be enough?
7. Turn off recording the soundtrack if you don’t have one! It should do this for you.. SHOULD ;)
8. Tweak the film, making scenes last a little longer or cutting them short can make a big difference to the over all feel of the movie.
9. Get your name on the movie, people will want to know who made it regardless of how good it is.
10. Music – try to have it fit the subject of your movie. Classical music is always good for DAOC :)

Links:

Trust Televiewer – http://www.puremotion.com/videoediting/reviews/hardware/trustteleviewer/
Trust Televiewer and DC10 can be bought from – www.scan.co.uk
Pinnacle – http://www.pinnaclesys.com
Pinnacle support for when it doesn’t fecking work – http://www.pinnaclesys.com/wwwsupport/Forums/uk/frameset.htm

E

eynar

In order to get the best quality, you should get yourself a digital recording device (like a camcorder) and connect it to your video card. After recording simply feed the material back to your pc and edit with a video editing program. The ways mentioned above work too, but you'd get rather crappy quality unless you have the possibility to send it through firewire.

B

beck-uk

Sorry for dragging this old post up but I am starting to take an interest in making a daoc movie and need a little help...

I have the mini-dv camcorder, I have a firewire card and wire so I can get my camcorder tape onto the pc, I have the movie editing software like Pinnacle etc.

So heres where Im a little stuck at the minute...

I want to connect my camcorder to the pc so I can record straight to camcorder what is happening on my pc (i.e. in game footage).

I have a Geforce4 Ti4600 with a normal vga monitor connector which I have my monitor plugged into. It also has a svideo connector and a serial one too.

I have bought a svideo to svideo cable and plugged it into the card and then into my camcorder svideo slot. However when I put my camcorder into record mode it is still viewing the real world and not whats on my pc.

Anyone who knows how to set this up pls let me know as I am stumped.

Thanks.

S

speshneeds

the output on that card is most likely not a svhs one, i got a 4600 here (asus) and it came with a little box on a lead that plugs into that svhs looking plug and has svhs/composite in and out

H

hiban

There are no such ways as "easy ways" when it comes to making movies. All this about recording while playing etc, isnt true. The only way to do it is to take 24 screenshots/second and put them together one by one in some advanced and expensive movie maker progam made specially for the computer. Theres one called "Paint" thats pretty easy to start with. This will both take time and space on your hard drive. BUT! It will impress the chicks. Good luck

Aaaaand... ACTION!

V

vadrek

Im making video maps, and i use camtasia, depends on your config and pc u can do it alone, and dont need a camcoder.

I also havesony camcoder, so i have many options, but for me camtasia, is the best screen recored i see in ages.

Hope this help.

W

walkerb

Originally posted by beck-uk
Sorry for dragging this old post up but I am starting to take an interest in making a daoc movie and need a little help...

I have the mini-dv camcorder, I have a firewire card and wire so I can get my camcorder tape onto the pc, I have the movie editing software like Pinnacle etc.

So heres where Im a little stuck at the minute...

I want to connect my camcorder to the pc so I can record straight to camcorder what is happening on my pc (i.e. in game footage).

I have a Geforce4 Ti4600 with a normal vga monitor connector which I have my monitor plugged into. It also has a svideo connector and a serial one too.

I have bought a svideo to svideo cable and plugged it into the card and then into my camcorder svideo slot. However when I put my camcorder into record mode it is still viewing the real world and not whats on my pc.

Anyone who knows how to set this up pls let me know as I am stumped.

Thanks.

your dv cam need s-video inn most have only s-video out.

S

Sarnat

I think 90% of daoc movies are way too crap quality. Mostly because they havent been made with the 2 PC setup. Check out the Nolby movies from Droood. Excelent quality IMO. And also IMO, making poor quality movie isnt worth the effort.

K

kameh

tell that to the people that liked mine ;)

don't maximise the video, sorted.

soundtrack is WAY more important than video, at least then you can go have a piss and listen to the music if you dont like the movie :D

M

matax

I had a go with Camtasia last night. Seems a very good program, but I could only get it to record at about 7 fps so the recording was VERY laggy. I assume this is down to only having 256k RAM.

To those using Camtasia - what system specs do you have ?

K

Kurik BHM

Originally posted by matax
I assume this is down to only having 256k RAM.

oO... get some more ram dude :)

im amazed that u can actually run windows with that amount of ram :p

G

Genesis_of_Ak

I got a gForce 4400Ti and a Sony DV camcorder. What lead do I need to connect the two together in order to capture daoc scenes on camcorder ?

I'm at work now and cant for the life of me remember what outputs there are on the 4400.

cheers

A

**Aligro**

how do you go about using a tv-out thing on a Graphics card?
what do i do exactly.. does that then record it to the hard drive or what?

O

old.arneduck

im amazed that u can actually run windows with that amount of ram

hehe as Bill Gates once said: There is no way noone will ever need more than 256 kb of RAM, or something like that...

E

Easy

Here is the quotation:

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." (Bill Gates, 1981) :)

E

Easy

Originally posted by Spinky
Of course, that's only urban legend :p
Hmm not sure about that, sure it is a widely quoted
sentence though. A search on the Internet (Copernic)
yielded 1137 results, which are reduced to only 4 if
I add the word "legend" to the search itself.

The quotation would fit well in a 1981 context...
Anyways, it's one of my favorites ^_^

I guess the only way of knowing the truth would be
to ask Mr. Gates himself hehe.

K

kallora

My Movies and production process

I've made a couple of movies and although the quality isn't perfect, they are still entertaining and were fun to do.

I wrote a "Making of" page as well that is linked from the link in my sig

V

vulcan1

Do it the Na Fianna way PC - AVID then ProTools for soundtrack ;)

E

eynar

I found an interesting alternative for those people who have 2 pc's but not with video in / out. There's a small box available now which has video in / out and also usb inputs / outputs. So you could use 1 pc with video in and connect to it, and then use the usb to your 2nd pc. DUnno about quality tho

M

matax

Originally posted by eynar
I found an interesting alternative for those people who have 2 pc's but not with video in / out. There's a small box available now which has video in / out and also usb inputs / outputs. So you could use 1 pc with video in and connect to it, and then use the usb to your 2nd pc. DUnno about quality tho
More info/website etc please ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom