Hmmm.... I'm not getting a PS3 if this is true!

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
The PS3 may lock games to a single console, to prevent the swapping of games and any use of pre-owned games. Also a bugger if your PS3 dies (like PS2's never had to be replaced...). Isn't this illegal, aren't we allowed to sell things that we own?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27568

I was planning on getting one, but if this is true, I'm not!

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Doesn't really bother me tbh. Most of the games I own (alot) were new when I bought them.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Sounds utterly shit.

I can't see why anyone in their right-mind would implement such a thing.

Is it some measure against piracy or something? How is this to anyone benefit? How does it even benefit Sony?

Alot of gamers are on a budget. I have often traded in games and it saves me a bundle of cash and also gets the games companies/retailer more profit on their games.

Let's say someone was extravagant enough to have two PS3. e.g. one in the lounge and one in their "den" or bedroom. It would mean having to buy two seperate copies of each game.

What if your console died or got stolen? You'd be left with a pile of useless games good for nothing but landfill.

For all these reasons I can't see why on earth they'd implement it in the PS3. For now it's just a patent applied for and there's no definite link between that and the PS3.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
jesus, thats shit if true. and so so fucking stupid,

rynnor

Rockhound
inactionman said:
I was planning on getting one, but if this is true, I'm not!

Depends how good the games are ;P On the selling stuff its completely legal to make things that effectively have no resale value but it would mean if your console broke you'd have to send it and your games to be replaced and if it was nicked your really stuck - still it would probably be cracked before its even out over here...

Whipped

Part of the furniture
From reading that it seems like it would be easy enough to bypass it in teh same way they bypass the checks at the moment.

All you'd need is a chip that sends a copy of some pulse data as if it came from the disc so that the disc gets registered and then don't send it again.

Still, shitty to think that we might have to forgoe pre-owned games.

Then again, the patent was filed in 2001, so maybe they've forgotten they filed it or have come up with somethign better?

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Given Sony's recent music CD DRM crap, this doesn't surprise me at all. The only good part is that people are probably clued up enough these days to realise how much Sony is fucking just about everyone over with this stuff, and not put up with it.

Hopefully, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom