Hmmm how do I install XP etc - fresh build pc.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Righto - my PC recently carked it - the hard drive died on it, luckily I had a 2nd sata drive in it that I hadnt yet used - now I usually get my mate to rebuild pc's etc for me but he can't do it at the moment for me. Sooooo can anyone give me an idiots guide as to what to do - basically the PC is already built, I just have to unplug the knackered drive, plug in the 2nd hard drive and do what?

Do I need to set 2nd Hard drive from slave to master or something first?

I have the install disc for the motherboard and XP discs.....now what do I do and in what order? My mate mentioned making a back-up on a floppy or something to that effect from the install disc - erm..wha?

Do I need to give you any more info re system specs btw or is it pretty much the same principle regardless?

Help cos I wanna see if I can make the computer go zoooom and therefore break my mates evil stranglehold on sorting my pc's out for me!!

Cheers :)

Uber reppage for anyone who can talk me thru this evul thing!

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i can give you an outline. anymore would mean too much effort.

build the pc back together
if you can, get partition magic and shove it on a Cd and make it bootable.
paritition and format the drive.
put xp disc in
follow instructions on screen
install it
after its installed usually i do the following first -

boot it up, let it detect all the shit
let it install all the shit
restart it
let it detect shit it couldnt detect before
let it install the above shit
restart again incase some more shit is detected
install the drivers AFTER xp has used the generic ones

thats what ive done for the past 7 years and it works fine for me. going back as far as win 95.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Do I need to do this back-up floppy disk boot disc thing my mate was on about?

Would mean digging out an old floppy drive n disc from deep in the spare bedroom :(

Will start having a go at this soon as I get home so if you could stay on this page and just keep clicking refresh til about midnight that would be great ;)

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Well most bizarre...got home, unplugged the D drive (which was the blank ok one) or so I thought..booted up - same NTLDR error - thought I had disconnected the wrong drive so connected what I know thought was the D drive....booted pc...booted up fine - seems it wasnt the D drive 2nd time round but the C drive - and its running fine now with no errors whatsoever it seems....so gawd only knows what went wrong - maybe the 2 drives were in conflict or something??

Thanks for the advice again tho Tris :) you never know, give it 1/2 an hour and when my drive explodes I will probably need those tips!!

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
wouldnt bother with a backup floppy. there a load of shit and a waste of time.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
evzy said:
Righto - my PC recently carked it - the hard drive died on it, luckily I had a 2nd sata drive in it that I hadnt yet used - now I usually get my mate to rebuild pc's etc for me but he can't do it at the moment for me. Sooooo can anyone give me an idiots guide as to what to do - basically the PC is already built, I just have to unplug the knackered drive, plug in the 2nd hard drive and do what?

Do I need to set 2nd Hard drive from slave to master or something first?

I have the install disc for the motherboard and XP discs.....now what do I do and in what order? My mate mentioned making a back-up on a floppy or something to that effect from the install disc - erm..wha?

Do I need to give you any more info re system specs btw or is it pretty much the same principle regardless?

Help cos I wanna see if I can make the computer go zoooom and therefore break my mates evil stranglehold on sorting my pc's out for me!!

Cheers :)

Uber reppage for anyone who can talk me thru this evul thing!

Your mate might have been refering to backing up the system state? Then install xp fresh and restore the system state. (if you can do anything with your failed drive that is)

use nt back to make the backup, it comes with xp.

btw xp shud take care of most ur drivers, so i wouldnt worry to much tbh.

you can also format/create partitions with xp so u dont need 3rd party utils unless u want to modify existing partions without losing data.

but idiots guide, install new hd, set jumper to cable select (default if newish) or master and then boot from xp cd and begin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom