hmm, odd problem

O

old.LandShark

Right. I thought that, since you could copy your Camlelot folder to another folder on your hard drive and play a different version of the game (e.g. Gorre, American Servers), i assumed that if i burnt my DAoC folder to a CD i could then play it from other computers by merely copying the folder across....
Seems I can't; every time i run camelot.exe, it gets to "checking for updated files", waits a few seconds, then halts telling me Error 205, Cannot retrieve product update information.
Then it causes a fatal error in kernel32.dll and closes...

Um, help? :/
Not posting to technical forum because nothing is wrong with this comp's hardware, and because no-one reads the Technical forum anyhoo... :O

A

Addlcove

do a search in your window Registrer for "camelot" all the entries there is you need to put into a .reg file when copying to new computer the .reg file should (after you run it) add all the necesary registrations in winreg

(just an idea ;))

O

old.Charonel

tricky to make absolutely sure you dont miss anything though, personally i'd just install the game as normal on the new pc, then copy over the camelot folder with the new one so you dont need to patch, should do it.

R

Roo Stercogburn

I copied the entire camelot directory to my laptop so I can play when not at home: worked perfectly.

One thing that changes when you burn to CD is that all files are marked Read Only, and this flag stays when you then copy to hard drive afterwards. There's a good chance that a file needs updated but can't be modified. Check the Read only attribute on all the files in the newly created folder at the destination PC.

Hope this helps :)

O

old.LandShark

Ah, thanks Roo, nice one =)

Bedwin: haven't tried that, but i don't think it's right tbh... registry isn't updated when you copy it to another folder in your hard drive, so..
Anyway ta

R

Ragnarok1978

It couldn't be that the files are write protected after being copied to the 2nd harddrive off a CD-Rom?

O

old.Biffsmash

yeah cos even when they are copied from the cd, their status wont be changed back to read/write. It will stay read only. The reason the files are changed to read in the first place only when burnt to CD is because they HAVE to be read only. Windows wont change status back to read/write simply by dragging the files to your hard drive, you'll have to do it yourself and then it'll work :)

Easier explanation :

Quote:
One thing that changes when you burn to CD is that all files are marked Read Only, and this flag stays when you then copy to hard drive afterwards. There's a good chance that a file needs updated but can't be modified. Check the Read only attribute on all the files in the newly created folder at the destination PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom