HL2 Source Code 'Officially' Leaked

H

heilel

IT's not the real HL2 code, it was just the original HL code altered to look like the HL2 code.

H

Hargh

let's hope not. what could they do with the source code anyway that would directly affect us? ie will the game still be released?

N

)nick(

Originally posted by heilel
IT's not the real HL2 code, it was just the original HL code altered to look like the HL2 code.

Read the article first. Besides the original HL code hasn't even been released to start with.

N

)nick(

Originally posted by Hargh
let's hope not. what could they do with the source code anyway that would directly affect us? ie will the game still be released?

It basically means people can VERY easily build cheat programs for HL2. Also the concequences for Valve as a company could be immense. Nobody would license their Source Engine which is free to download. They also used a third party physics SDK called Havok which costs in the region of $75k, a lot of the Havok source is embedded in their own source for the Source Engine.

H

Hargh

I see. I guess we shall see what happens then. Wasn't it November it was due out? Need to get new pc for it.

O

old.Tohtori

Yes. Quite. The leak of a sourcecode will be the downfall of a game :p

*You are too fatiqued to use sarcasm.

Games sell because people know how to make them. No matter what leaked from HL2, it's still going to sell like grand theft auto. Just how the burgers work.

C

Cush

Still there is the making of cheat programs for it that is the real troubleing thing.

O

old.Tohtori

Can be considered as a major or a minor problem. All in what they have planned in online gaming.

As far as i've read about it, nothing special in "online" aspect is planned. (Correct me if i'm wrong here)Simple LAN, internet things that we all seen on BF1942, Tribes, etc.

Now this means people will play it on their own comps. I wouldn't consider having a cheat of a game on single player mode that harmful. They still have to buy the game(excluding pirates) and the company will still make the same amount of cash.

It's more of a moral issue i guess. No hiss boo bad cheat! Even whn it doesn't "harm" the community in a concrete way.¨

*looks up*

Eh....sense? Me?....

N

)nick(

Originally posted by old.Tohtori
Yes. Quite. The leak of a sourcecode will be the downfall of a game :p

*You are too fatiqued to use sarcasm.

Games sell because people know how to make them. No matter what leaked from HL2, it's still going to sell like grand theft auto. Just how the burgers work.

Ok the original post was a bit of an exaggeration.

I agree HL2 will still sell like hotcakes, all my other points are perfectly valid though.

H

heilel

Originally posted by -nicolas-
Read the article first. Besides the original HL code hasn't even been released to start with.

So? It's had ample time for it to be leaked.
I'm sure the original HL code has been leaked by now.

D

Danya

It's the real HL2 source, Gabe Newell has posted about it on halflife2.net. As for how many implications, it could have some fairly significant implications for online play. Which despite tohtori's spurious comments is likely to be a major part of the game - HL2 is bundled with TF2 and CS2, both of which are likely to be big online. The original HL was the biggest online FPS for a long while, probably still is. Online is a big deal for this.
That said, how much of an issue it'll be is another question as the Quake3 source was released by Carmack without the game going down the toilet. I think it will damage people like Havok though. It's unlikely anyone will directly rip their code off, but they can easily use it as a reference to make their own physics engine, thus loosing Havok a lot of custom.

O

old.Tohtori

Thanks for the correction.

Still, my opinion on this leak effecting the sales stands. :D

D

Danya

Probably won't hit HL2 too badly, but it'll massively affect sales of havok and also impacts sales of other titles using the HL2 engine.

K

katt!

i bet you it wont hit hl2 engine sales either.

however, it may improve engines from companies that already were in the process of making one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom