HL2 completed SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Real nice post Brynn, REAL nice post.

Sorry about the you = u thing but I wrote the first post while I was at college, had to keep alt-tabbing between work and IE :(

Anyway, alot of what you said there seems to fit in.

Dillinja said:
It would be nice if the story was that deep, but I really doubt that it is.

The contrary I'm inclined to think that it is, after seeing the message board ingame about the 7 hours war, that post makes sense of lots of things I've been wondering about.

Okay, so I didn't get it completely right, but not bad considering I was in a hurry :D

The part about the war I kinda got, didnt get the details right but I got the gist of it. The part about G-Man (very possibly) being Freeman's Agent (I used the word 'manager' in the same context) I agree with. The part about the vortigaunts being slaves for the Combine(or whoever controls them) makes sense, they seem to be in much the same situation as us humans in that respect.

The part about G-Man was kinda like "woah", alot of info there, I would be more inclined to think of G-Man as a part of a larger orginisation, due to the way he said "I'm not at liberty to say" suggests he isnt on the very top (either that or he didnt know at the time, which is unlikely).

The part about "All the effort in the world would have gone to waste...etc" I was looking only at HL2, but it makes sense for that comment to refer to HL1 about the resonance cascade.

I also thought about the fact that everyone seems to be expecting you, except you; but the part about G-Man going round and managing whatever your doing from behind the scenes clears that up nicely.

Very indepth stuff there, I would think (and hope) that theres some sort of bigger picture to everything your doing, which will become clearer 'later on', I mean half of the comments seem to fit so well, and the clues left lying about (Eli's message board being a prime example) that theres really GOT to be some sort of in-depth story to the game :)

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
Brynn said:

Is the G-Man your agent? Plus what sort of offer could possibly interest a man who can manipulate time, and teleport seemingly without effort? Certainly not money. Technology? I would guess, looking at his antics, that G-Man is pretty much at the top of the technological ladder. People?

I don't think that the G-Man can manipulate time. Both, HL1 and HL2, end with an explosion. So if you consider that Gordon might get knocked out during that, those funky lightshows that accompany the G-Man might be from groginess(sp?) on Gordon's part.
Another indication for this is, HL1 ends with the G-Man talking to you in a train... and just by coincident HL2 starts with you sitting in a train ? Doubt that's a coincident. Would almost bet that HL3 will start in a room with a door to the right ;)
For the part where Gordon has been from Black Mesa to City 17, eventually same reason why Alyx and him disappeared for 1 week after teleporting out of Nova Prospekt -> teleporter blowing up.
Just my thoughts ;)

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
And on a sidenote, G-Man seems to be inspired by the X-Files :D

other series/movies:

War of the Worlds (three legged alien machines etc.)
Dawn of the Dead (or other zombie movies)
D-Day (Beach'n'Bunkers)
The Rock (far fetched ;))
Starship Troopers
Alien

...feel free to add more.

Abel

Fledgling Freddie
It would be nice if the story was that deep, but I really doubt that it is.

I'm also pretty sure the story is a lot deeper then most people realise. This is because Valve decided not to "spoon-feed" the story to their players, but rather strew hints left and right.

There is a lot of background info that hints at a deeply woven storyline, but they're a bit hidden and the players need to search for them :
- You can talk to the Vortigaunts, a couple have quite a few things to say (keep hitting "use" on them).
- There is the message board in Black Mesa East which basically tells how Combine took over Earth betwen HL1 and HL2.
- There are Easter Eggs, like a number of sightings of G-Man during the game.
- There are 1001 other hidden clues, that on their own are quite mysterious, but often add up together.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Anyone else completed it yet? what did you think to the ending? seems it was just a virtual reality game?

I did'nt think the ending was very good tbh spending like 10+hours finished the game and the ending is like 30 seconds long heh.. gah i dunno 5 years and they come up with this ending? lol

oh well guess its another 5 years for HL3

cya then.
In 5 years I couldn't be bothered to play HL-2 to the end... today (with a headache so stuck indoors) I did... wish I'd read this thread first :(

Thankfully no HL3 though!

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Peg, you've got another two parts to play through though sequel wise. Well worth paying for - I played HL2 end to end, then the two episodes.

I want the third!

taB

Part of the furniture
I must have never finished this then, cos none of the above makes much sense :)

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
HL2 ..
decent length apart from the "OH LOOK ! WE CAN DO PHYSICS ! HAVE A CAR! " section
which you get in at least one of the addon chapters aswell

the hl2 ending is a pile of tosh, its just a set-up for the addons. they arent that bad in their own right and give more closure on the story, but suffer from linear paths with MORE CAR DRIVING.. well gentle ben style hover boat iirc, but same thing

its main strength is as a base for mods and stuff :(

mediocre game, decent engine

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Couldn't disagree more, I do think it is one of the best single player FPSeseses ever made. Beautiful looking, good story and fantastic gameplay. They do go overboard with the physics puzzles a bit, but I don't think it causes too much of a problem. The ending leading on to the episodic content wasn't too bad in principle but the problem is as Yahtzee said: the idea is is 1. Cheaper games 2. Shorter games 3. More frequently released. They've got 1 and 2 down, but 3... not so much.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I did feel they dined out on the driving around stuff a bit too much.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I liked the driving, on the first playthrough I thought it was a bit odd but as I got used to using the car/buggy/hoverboat it was a lot of fun.

As far as the story goes I think Valve have been very bold in putting you in a world where you have to search out to what has happened to it and why, its as if you were put in a world, there wouldn't be any manuals or cutscenes, you would have to go round asking people and reading things on clipboards and in papers.

I can't wait to see in what direction the story goes and maybe Gordon will get hold of the portal gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom