Hitachi 17 inch TFT monitor

S

smurkin

I finally decided to purchase a new monitor for my gaming enjoyment:

Hitachi CML174SXWB 17" TFT Monitor (Carbon) (MO-001-HI)

Second one down on the link.....

I'd appreciate any feedback (good or bad) you fellers might have....Price: £284.50 (£334 inc vat) from overclockers uk.....to be cool or not to be cool, that is the question :cool: ?!?!?

V

vofflujarnid

What's the highest refresh rate it can cope with at, let's say, resolutions: 800x640, 1024x768 and 1280x1024? Just Curious by the way :)

S

smurkin

Originally posted by Panda On Smack
You bought it, what do you think? :)

Well...gonna buy it tonight or tomorrow...BoomBoom...depending on what feedback I get. The key point for me is... its affordable and has a fast response time (16ms)...

As for the refresh rate....Dude, I havent a clue...I dont even know if that is a relevant question for a TFT...I found this:

Scanning Frequency Range Horizontal: 24~80kHz
Vertical: 56~75Hz

in the specs...so I guess those are the absolute theoretical maxima.

I really wanted a dvi input...from my radeon 8500...as someone said this was better (no need to for it to be converted to analogue, and then back to digital by the monitor). The problem is, I dont really understand the science behind the dvi standard

S

smurkin

Think I'll post this in the general forum...more likely to find someone who has this monitor ;)

*edit*...I saw yaka's post from way back...do you have one of these Yaka ?

Y

Yaka

actually i had 2 but me brother has nocked one till he gets a new screen (he is getting the same one). compared to previous tft screens i had this one fares much better for gaming (ET,Raven shield and bf1942) nice bright an vivid screen. if your still not sure just pop into pc shop/store like pc world and demo it. oh and refresh rates for tft dont need to be as high as crt screens far as i know.

S

smurkin

Yaka...you the man !

So 75 Hz....& whats best analogue or dvi...how do you find the color on it ? is the illumination even...?

I read a few slightly critical reviews talking about illumination and color (all the other qualities were mint btw)....I was hoping these problems had been ironed out as they were old/prerelease sample reviews, or just not noticeable. :cool:

E

Embattle

Generally TFTs all TFTs have some sort of problem to do with colour depth and response times, however the Hitachi has a fast response time as Yaka says....this means minimum ghosting when playing games etc.

Use DVI if possible as this will normally offer a better picture.

Y

Yaka

bleh talk abou shit luck. im back with my old naff phillips tft, i had this one hung on the wall and the screen fell off and straight onto me logitech mx700 charger pod thingie, screen is cracked but hitachi have said they will replace or fix it. :(

S

smurkin

Well....I got the 17 inch hitachi...and I gotta say, Yaka...its bloody marvelous....the colour is so rich, its making my brain bleed....seems to be good for q3wctf capturestrike...which is very fast & the colours/shaders in ut2003 are fantastic. Of course, I have been using a crapppy 17 tiny monitor for the past 7 years.

There are one or two minor anomalies...I have to pay attention to the viewing angle now, and sometimes there is an illusion of the screen being ever so slightly warped (anomalies and warped in the same scentence...beam me up scotty). I cant find any dead pixels.

I also had no idea how good my old radeon 8500 card really is....however, next methinks I need a gpu card for full on anti aliasing....

/dreams of 9800pro all-in-wonder :sleeping:

Y

Yaka

heh im using a ati 9500 pro, nice cheap an mint:)

and whadya mean wharped?

S

smurkin

the monitor sreen is perfectly flat.....but in enemy territory, the loading screen, top left has a light piccy of the map on a dark background..looks ever so slightly warped (not flat) in the corner...I am sure its an optical illusion...I noticed similar on my flat tv in justified mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom