Historical Novels

Taen

Fledgling Freddie
Can anyone reccomend any good ones .. I Have read 2 fantastic trilogys .. The Carthage series and The Alexander the Great series and I am looking for more

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Theres a series of the books about Ceaser somewhere, only read the first one where he describes his childhood and that of another persons, cant say :p

Vae

Resident Freddy
Bernard Cornwall's done some good ones:

The Sharpe series about the Napoleonic wars
Starbuck Chronicles about the American Civil War
Warlord Chronicles about Arthur (ok not strictly totally historical but he does a good representation of the actual time period unlike a lot of Arthurian stories)
Stonehenge
Grail quest

Other Napoleonic authors - For the Royal Navy try
Patrick O'Brien (as in Master and Commander)
Dudley Pope
Alexander Kent

Edward Rutherford's written some good novels too

Mary Gentle's book Ash is a cross between historical fiction and fantasy (probably more fantasy) about Burgundy and Carthage after its fall but is really rather good.

Vesania

Fledgling Freddie
Guy Gavriel Kay has written a fair few inspired by historical settings, so while not strictly historically accurate, they would probably appeal to you. In particular:

Sailing To Sarentium and its sequel Lord of Emperors.

I've also hugely enjoyed the following:

The Pendragon Banner by Sylvian Hamilton. Lovely, gritty and on occasion wonderfully humorous tale set in England during the time of King John.

The First Man In Rome by Colleen McCullough, plus sequels The Grass Crown, Fortune's Favourites, Caesar's Women and Caesar. These are superbly researched (my degree was in Classics, so I can judge fairly reasonably) and also addictive to read. Recommended.

The Silver Pigs by Lindsey Davis, plus many many sequels now too numerous to mention, but all great. Set in Rome (and provinces) during the reign of the Emperor Vespasian.

Augustus and Tiberius, by Allan Massie, together now with an ever expanding range of excellent similar works. Each of these follows the life of the Roman appearing in the title.

That'll probably keep you going a while! <grins>

Taen

Fledgling Freddie
Thx a lot guys .. I have read Bernard Cornwalls Warlord series and am reading stonehenge atm .. must say I didnt really like the holy grail though. I loved the Warlord series though. The Sharpe series is too modern for me, I prefer pre histoty and classical history and I am sure all the recomendations .. Im sure they will keep me occupied for a while :)

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
I diddnt like Stonehenge, got too involved with itself.

Taen

Fledgling Freddie
Its good so far .. I hope it doesnt go down the toilet like the holy grail

SilverHood

FH is my second home
The Misplaced Legion is quite good for some alternate history....

To Hell and Back, by Audie Murphy is a pretty amazing, considering it's a true story about World War II

Lion of Macedon by David Gemmel is pretty good too - about ancient greece and the rise of Macedonia (Alexander the great, etc)

Killer Angels is a superb recounting of the battle at Gettysburg, and the months leading up to it, but I can't remember the author at the moment.

:)

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah, holy grail was pretty promising but never actually delivered. Began to get too caught up with the magic of the gods, turning into a battle of religions. Which is fine if you like that sort of thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom