Try the "Down the Long Wind" trilogi by Gillian Bradshaw
Starting out with Hawk of May :)

Tilda

An Introduction to the Law of Trusts by Simon Gardner

Plenty of history and fantasy in that :p

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
As most people have already recommended:

Bernard Cornwell - his Arthur trilogy is awesome, as is his viking trilogy. Conn Iggulden has done a great series of books on Julius Caesar, and just started a new series of books about Genghis Khan (Wolf of the Plains) which is brilliant.

Manda Scott's Boudicca books (Dreaming the Eagle, Dreaming the Bull etc) are also really really good - a slightly different writing style, but I love them. They gave me the same feeling I got after I finished reading LotR - I felt like something inside me had died once I'd finished, and had to start reading it again straight away.

Other than that, David Gemmell rock(ed) :( If you've never read any of his stuff, start with Legend or the Sword in the Storm, or Lord of the Silver Bow. Amazing books.

Solo

Fledgling Freddie
As most people have already recommended:

Bernard Cornwell - his Arthur trilogy is awesome, as is his viking trilogy. Conn Iggulden has done a great series of books on Julius Caesar, and just started a new series of books about Genghis Khan (Wolf of the Plains) which is brilliant.

Manda Scott's Boudicca books (Dreaming the Eagle, Dreaming the Bull etc) are also really really good - a slightly different writing style, but I love them. They gave me the same feeling I got after I finished reading LotR - I felt like something inside me had died once I'd finished, and had to start reading it again straight away.

Other than that, David Gemmell rock(ed) :( If you've never read any of his stuff, start with Legend or the Sword in the Storm, or Lord of the Silver Bow. Amazing books.

That must be your first post in a while :p Don't ask how I noticed.

Tijl

Loyal Freddie
Umberto Eco : The name of the rose - Baudolino .. and others. They are slow and boring to read, but worth it.

Monaldi & Sorti, same writing quality/style as Umberto, but fast paced and also in medieval setting. Althou Umberto 'invented' his own style, this writers' duo re-invent it. It's a serie of 7 books, of which the following appeared : Imprimatur - Secretum - Veritas.

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
Im suprised no one has mentioned Conn Igguldens Julius Ceaser qualology. Its really good portrayal of his life from when he is 8 years old and until he dies. For me it ranks up there alongside Bernard Cornwells historical fiction.

Ceaser Quadology by Iggullden

Bernard Cornwell Grail Quest series,100 years war series and the new one about the Dane's are all really good.

Stephen lawhead also done some good books like Byzantium and such.

2 close to historical fiction books by gemmell are His 2 greek books, summin macedonia or summin like that.

Krait

Fledgling Freddie
For Fantasy with a real medieval feel about it,try the Song of Ice and Fire books by George RR Martin.
So very different from most fantasy books. :)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
For Fantasy with a real medieval feel about it,try the Song of Ice and Fire books by George RR Martin.
So very different from most fantasy books. :)

yeah, takes ages to read though lol :p

dub

One of Freddy's beloved
Umberto Eco : The name of the rose - Baudolino .. and others. They are slow and boring to read, but worth it.

hmm cant agree on this , foucaults pendulum is probably one of the most exiting books i have ever read, in general its unfair to describe eco´s writings as slow and boring.

Serbitar

Fledgling Freddie
Im suprised no one has mentioned Conn Igguldens Julius Ceaser qualology. Its really good portrayal of his life from when he is 8 years old and until he dies. For me it ranks up there alongside Bernard Cornwells historical fiction.

Somebody never read my post :(

Me said:
on topic: the emporer series by Conn Igulden are a good read 4 books telling julius caesar's life story.

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
That must be your first post in a while :p Don't ask how I noticed.

Yeah just moved house and have an increasing interest in all things motorbike related than geek-related :p

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Yeah just moved house and have an increasing interest in all things motorbike related than geek-related :p

I think a photo to prove you have leathers is in order :p

Ezteq

Queen of OT
naetha's gone to the leather side :(

we'll never see her again she's got cool :(

waaaaah the abandonmentation!!!

*obi wan voice*

Neatha, feel the force, let it flow through you, be at one with the nerd!!

eleard

Loyal Freddie
The Temeraire series by Naomi Novaik and the darkness series by Harry Turtledove are both fairly readable alternative history series. The temeraire series set in a alternative 15th century, while the darkness tells a alternative story of WW1, although set with fictional countries the parallel is clear.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
naetha's gone to the leather side :(

we'll never see her again she's got cool :(

pft a motorbike is a a step backwards not forwards, its a push-bike for lazy people one step over a moped
now if she was driving a bugatti veryron...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom