Hilary Rosen quits RIAA

W

Will

Take a look. The article sums it up pretty well, she really has fucked over the consumer at every chance she has had, and I really won't be sad to see her go.

Lets hope they stick some wooly liberal in charge...like me.;)

L

leggy

You're seconds late....TdC had already added it to his sig :)

What a complete bitch though

W

Will

Heh, sure I was...I don't see any linkage there.:p

T

Testin da Cable

so I didn't link to it... doesn't make you any faster grasshopper :)

C

.cage

A filthy, vile wretch of a human poisoned by greed. We can only hope she runs accross the road to steal a small childs chocolate, but drops her skull cap in the road, and is hit by a large bus as she goes to pick it up, cos it has her private cash stash in it.

W

Will

Anyway, I want serious discussion here, so get to it.:p

S

(Shovel)

Sadly the RIAA will probably close in on itself and appoint someone that can stand up and be even more right wing on the issues.

I know there will be some in the organisation who will want to U turn and embrace the publicity benefits of P2P (integrating a means to buy the CD of the track just by clicking when you download for free *would* have results imho)

Anyway, we shall see.

W

Will

I can't see them ever supporting P2P protocols. P2P isn't professional enough, you'll never get people paying to use it. They need to invest some of this huge amount of cash they throw at the courts in an alternative to P2P. If you could download at 50p a track, £5 an album, I think you'd do it. And all the options you have with that, real-time charts, free samples of tracks, videos, and think of the data-mining.

So, he likes artist X, Y and Z. Well, lets do an offer on this new band, it'll be just his thing.

C

.cage

anyone who actually cares about the music will buy the CD anyway, instead of leeching a poorly ripped 128kbps mp3 off kazaa.

although saying that, most of my purchased cd's reside on my D drive in lame vbr/ogg format :(

I would buy more music if 97% of my money was going to the artist, not shylock.

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by .cage
anyone who actually cares about the music will buy the CD anyway, instead of leeching a poorly ripped 128kbps mp3 off kazaa.
aye

although saying that, most of my purchased cd's reside on my D drive in lame vbr/ogg format :(
better than mp3 tbh

I would buy more music if 97% of my money was going to the artist, not shylock.
exactly

cage/tdc very much alike. shock!

E

ECA

Tbh the publishers and distributors are shit scared of the net, cuz it cuts them out of the equation.

And also, only download 196 tbfh, anything less isnt worthy for human ears.

L

leggy

I agree with .cage tbh. I downloaded a few albums from Scooba's ftp recently... The 3 CD's i liked all got purchased.

You're first post was teh funneh though :D

S

Scooba Da Bass

FILE SHARING IS KILLING THE MUSIC INDUSTRY UNLESS PEOPLE BUY THE ALBUMS AFTERWARDS IN WHICH CASE IT'S ALRIGHT OR SOMETHING

C

.cage

a lot of my favourite artists i wouldnt gotten into had I not found them online, and sampled their stuff on mp3 before actually buying it, as anything bar the latest creation of popstars and the newest linkin park et al isnt pushed via the mainstream media, only the internet and word of mouth.
Perhaps money would be better spent pushing proper artists, instead of cashing in on trends and rubbish, then trying to fuck over what few proper artists remain these days.

YES I CAN MAKE SERIOUS POSTS!!!!! ON A RANGE OF ISSUES!!!!!

T

Testin da Cable

you're sleep-posting cagey. go back to bed :)

W

Wij

FILE-SHARING FORCES GIRLS INTO PROSTITUTION !!!11

Or so somebody said the other day in response to Robbie Williams ker-razy statements about music piracy being ok. Sheesh, he's an off-the-wall loony-toon NUTTER.

KAZAA makes kids suck dick for crack !!!1

D

danger

Another article I read:

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-959537.html?tag=rn

That one really pissed me off "an add campaign featuring stars such as sting and britney spears telling people how online piracy is just like stealing a CD from a shop"

It's just the whole self righteousness of it all. The whole... "you're just a common theif" attitude, when the industry has and would screw over the consumers to make a quick buck...

And it's screwing over the artists? No, it's screwing over greedy fat cats who do a good enough job of screwing over many artists themselves... It saddens me that some artists are foolish enough to get drawn in by this... I mean Britney is a pawn of the industry, it's one thing coming from her... but the likes of Metallica, Sting, Neil Young... people like that it's a shame...

In some ways though, I'd like them to get on and ban all online file sharing just to have the pleasure of laughing at them when record sales don't dramatically increase.... :)

S

(Shovel)

Record Sales would plummet if they ever succeed.

The artists you name, they are either the young and contracted or the old and unaware. If you ever demonstrated to the artists they rope in for these compaigns how file sharing actually works, pointing out the lower quality and then that many people buy the CDs after, they might rethink their indoctrinated opposition.

E

Embattle

File sharing has adjusted the playing field that the music industry used to sit in the middle of and this is clearly something that annoys the music industry a lot, which isn't surprising with the amount of rewrapped crap around nowadays.

Too often I found myself buying albums based off a couple of songs and then once you'd listen to the other songs you realise that all the rest were crap any way, although you've paid so now you're lumbered with the album and the music industry is laughing all the way to bank.

Many people pointed out that by making a big deal of Napster the music industry would actually make the situation worse, they took no notice and now the bitch that started it all is going to become as much a part of history as her seemingly main achievement, the defeat of Napster. The RIAA may have defeated Napster but it only advertised file sharing to the masses and is now paying for its lack of vision.

I do know a number of people who have downloaded masses of MP3s without buying them afterwards, although most of these people had no intention of buying the album any way, in fact often they don't even listen to the stuff they've downloaded.

Fear not, another twit will most probably fill her shoes, wonder if they will be able to stop their website getting hacked all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread