help

Where TheHellAmI

Fledgling Freddie
Hello all,

I have been having probs with my pc for a while now, cant figure out whats the problem. Started with daoc crashes very often, and other 3d games, then i figured like gfx card probs right, tryed reinstalling driver upgrating etc, then changed ATI radeon x 600 to Geforce 6600 GT right, same prob trying drivers etc, still crashes. Then tryed installing more cooling devices in the pc but no improvment. Then i noticed that whenever i download a file or somthing 80% of them show up corrupt so i have to download 2 or 3 times over.When i start daoc update if i check complete file check it always downloads 50 to 90 mb of files, without doing it i cant log on Frontier zones Also both of my hd are gone from 160gb to 31gb, and from 80gb to 74gb. Can it be that hd are dying and files getting corrupt while playing so it crashes.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
the thing with pc problems is how far you can leave them untill it really causes you problems.

have you tried re-partitioning the drive and installing eveyrthing from scratch....an afternoons work but may sort out the problems.

First off i would run virus/spyware scans but you probably done that already

Herjulf

Banned
The harddrives just "shrinking" 2 of them at the same time.
Can be the main cause of your problem.

My hint:

Start from scratch, you f00ked anyways if u keep working with the system as it is.

1. Shut down the computer, and remove RJ45 cable from network card(important), and go annoy a friend with a internet con.
2. download and boot with ultimate boot cd, http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ or boot from Windows CD. Also download FRESH drivers from your hardware manufacturers. Chipset drivers, ATI drivers etc.
3. Remove ALL partitions on ALL drives and REBOOT. if you dont want to do it on ALL drives, disconnect them from the system physically til you got a High Quality antivirus installed.
4. make new partitions, format and install windows. If you didnt remove the cable from the networc card as described in step 1, chances are depending on internet con. that u got a virus within 10seconds of windows booting up.
5. before doing anything else get a anitivirus prog in, and if poss a firewall other than windows firewall.
6. do Windowsupdate do ALL security updates poss, and whatever riff raff you want.
7. install drivers + daoc.
8. Goto Brynja Bridge and let me kill you while you /blush on me.

Ryuno

Can't get enough of FH
Before you spend hours on reinstalling what might be some fooked hardware, run scandisk on your HDDs and that will check them for errors.

If they are ok, then i'd do the above. Wipe PC and reinstall windows on a fresh partition.

Herjulf

Banned
What i didnt mention above is that when partitioning, you should pref replace/overwrite the bootsector.

DirtyDiana

Fledgling Freddie
Where TheHellAmI said:
nothing of the above helped :/ any other thoughts? :)

are you running dual channel ram ... if so try just one stick of ram, if that works swap your ram sticks out untill you find the dodgy one if their is one, if you dont find a dodgy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom