Help! Windows 2003 Server raped my network!

F

Falcon

Okay, here's the situation, for a good year or so I've had my server running Win2k server, it only serves Active Directory including DNS and DHCP, along with standard file sharing and also running CVS, it's never been a problem, however recently I thought hey, Win2k3 Servers out, so I grabbed 2k3 server enterprise edition out of the MS Licensing CD folder and installed it, everythings setup exactly as before except I have some problems now.

My main workstation is the one that connects to the net and it connects directly via dialup it doesn't go through the server in the slightest. I have two other PCs, a Dell laptop connecting via wireless LAN and an Athlon 1ghz sat doing er, well nothing much except DVDs when I get bored. So here's the problem, whenever the 2k3 server is switched on, MSN messanger, ICQ fail to connect and some websites just outright don't let me view them - this happens on all 3 client machines, it's clear the web addresses aren't being resolved even from the speed it kicks back the error. The second I turn off the 2k3 server bam, everything connects perfectly. So I can only put it down to the 2k3 server applying some security settings to machines in the domain by default OR it's running some dodgy service that I really don't want it to be running as a dire attempt at security (No thanks Microsoft, I know what your security is like, I'll setup my own thanks).

So the question is, anyone any idea why the hell 2k3 servers felt the need to hijack my network and lock down and secure stuff it shouldn't be locking down and also how I can prevent it doing so? If no one has any ideas here I'm short of ideas elsewhere so I'll just dump 2k3 server and forget it for all eternity by switching back to good old 2k server. Thanks in advance.

A

Addlcove

paragraph your post and I´ll consider reading it

M

mid_Efour

yeah like the average daoc player is an IT geek like you. FO back to mag mel u pointy eared rentboy...

sorry no idea, never use new MS software till SP1 or 2 u should know that

F

Falcon

There I have added in some random enter keys for those who are confused by large bodies of text (suggestion, don't EVER try and read a book)

T

tris-

hey mr tolkein try paragraphing lord of the rings then i might read it.

I AER TEH FUNNEHS LIKE ADLVOCE

:sleeping:

D

Deadmanwalking

anyway .....

Let me get this right.. you have a windows server sitting on ur network yet you dont connect to the net via it? why have it?

Second... if you dont connect to the net via it why u got DNS and DHCP coming from it??

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by Falcon
There I have added in some random enter keys for those who are confused by large bodies of text (suggestion, don't EVER try and read a book)

Dude even books are pharagraphed....

(and yes I do read alot of books)

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking.
why you got DNS and DHCP coming from it??

Falcon, is it only ICQ etc.. that fails or is it ALL network applications?

if it is all then try switching the DHCP server off

F

Falcon

Let me get this right.. you have a windows server sitting on ur network yet you dont connect to the net via it? why have it?

Second... if you dont connect to the net via it why u got DNS and DHCP coming from it??
Servers can serve more than just net access :p

As I say it runs CVS, it's mainly a storage/backup/version control server. It serves DHCP/DNS because I often have friends over connecting to the network - it makes life easier for them. I do a lot of development some of which is commercial so some degree of extra data integrity other than just local backups is essential.

Addlcove, things have changed slightly since my last post;

- MSN seems to be ok connecting now (I'm 100% sure it was the server effecting it because I tried solidly to connect to MSN instant messenger for 10mins, the second I switched the server off it connected in the exact same instant the server powered off).

- ICQ on the main machine with net access refuses to connect at all now, however it connects fine on a different machine on the network. The only difference with that machine that I will mention if it gives any clue is that I forgot to remove that machine from the old Active Directory (I didn't copy the AD from 2k to 2k3, I made it afresh), whereas I DID remove the main dialup machine from the old AD before switching to 2k3 then added it to the domain once I'd installed 2k3 - this shed anymore light on things? In theory the one I haven't bothered to port across shouldn't have an account on the new AD, so perhaps certain policies aren't being forced onto it by the 2k3 server because of this?

- My Linux machine fails to connect at all anymore with anything, basically it feels like Win2k3 server has applied some dodgy policy which plays silly buggers with internet connection sharing. The problem here is, because it's Linux it kinda disproved the above idea that it's to do with local security policies seeing as the 2k3 server can't impose any restrictions on Linux.

- Finally, I've noticed the VNC service has a nasty habit of crashing on the server the second I type in the password and try to establish a connection with it, this is almost definetely unrelated, but another annoying niggle with 2k3 server I've found.

If no one has any ideas I'm going to try a network rebuild this week(end) when I find time and see how things go from scratch, this machine hasn't in all fairness been given a reinstall in about 18months so perhaps it's pining for a fresh install ;) As I say if it gets to that point and I go ahead with that I'll let you know the situation after the install, will give it another day or two to see if anyone has anymore ideas first. I'll let you all know if things are solved after a completely fresh setup with a good scour through of ALL security/system policies BEFORE I let the server unleash them on my client machines ;)

F

Falcon

Sorry, got carried away with typing the last message to give you a clear answer - it's not all network apps failing to connect it's only:

- ICQ on the main dialup machine at all times, but not on another client machine at all, that machine handles ICQ fine.

- MSN if the server is switched on before I try to connect, if the server is switched on whilst MSN is already connected it doesn't seem to hurt the connection to MSN IM at all

- Some websites, the one I distinctly remember was daoc.catacombs.com on any machine on the network, it was as if it was trying to resolve to a local address but failing completely with the speed IE kicked back the unable to connect error which gives a hint at a DNS issue but my DNS settings look fine. When I switched the server off it connected to Cats without a problem.

Hope this all gives some pointers to what seems a very mysterious, yet probably (hopefully! ;)) very simple problem :)

D

Deadmanwalking

Erm i know servers uses thx .. :p

Anyway try turning DHCP off and also try killing DNS ? Why the fuck u need DNS anyway is beyond me.

Oh and what version linux?

F

Falcon

Sigh, you're really not helping at all.

- If you know servers uses so well, why question why I have a server without using it for net access?

- Turning stuff off isn't a solution, it's a hack, if turning stuff off was the plan the sockets would be out the wall and I'd been down the pub already, as I've stated, I want DHCP on my network as I have valid use for it.

- Why the fuck I need DNS is beyond you? Hmm, you DO know DNS is an integral part of Active Directory and AD can't run without it right? RIGHT?

- The version if Linux is Redhat 8, now do you have a valid reason for asking that or is it merely only to invoke a testosterone filled, non-backed up argument about how shite Redhat is?

Sorry but I was looking for sensible and decent suggestions from people who do actually understand the problem and have the knowledge to offer possible fixes, Addlcove, any ideas?

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by Falcon
Sigh, you're really not helping at all.

Sorry but I was looking for sensible and decent suggestions from people who do actually understand the problem and have the knowledge to offer possible fixes, Addlcove, any ideas?

yeah stop flaming him when he´s trying to help you.

D

Deadmanwalking

Fine mr server master ... i wont bother with all the information i just spent 30 mins finding for you ....oh and btw learn to explain/write next time along with knowing how the run a server as u clearly have no idea.

F

Falcon

People who think they're "l33t" server admins cos their mate once gave them RCON for a Quake server aren't really trying to help, only make up for something they're lacking.

It took you 30mins to find false, misleading and useless information? this can only mean one thing, you asked on an AOL tech support forum or something.

Helping is giving useful info or hints, not useless bs to try and sound useful, they're two very, very different things.

Sigh, oh well I can see there's no one competent replying to this thread so far, only muppets (except E4 cos I love him).

<wonders what happened to all the old school BW tech savvy people>

I guess my mistake was posting to the DAoC section of the tech support forums.

Also yes Deadmanwalking, I'm really the one who needs to learn to type and explain seeing as that last sentence of yours was perhaps one of the more shocking uses of the English I've seen in an attempt at an insult. Why are you telling me to learn to admin a server when you're the one who's only posted information proving you're clueless on the issue yourself?

I

InKubus

Hi Falcon,

It seems like a pretty strange problem you're having. I've not experienced any issues with Windows XP and Windows .NET server when the internet connection is directly connected to the XP machine.

Personally I'd imagine it's down to the ICS configuration on your XP machine. Or some local security policy.

I'll have a play around at work and try and get a similar set up.

Hope you get some answers.

BTW: Some of the posts on this thread have been seriously bang out of order. If you can't help this guy then why post/flame? Forum chat these days is going seriously down hill fast!

Regards

InKUbus

O

old.LandShark

Didn't notice anyone not trying to help, inkubus.. :>

D

Deadmanwalking

Not to mention i never once flamed him... he just out of the blue insulted me.

M

mid_Efour

I c a n b u i l d b r i d g e s f r o m w h a t y o u b u r n

what does this mean?

Users who are viewing this thread