Help! Sony Vegas Experts please - some advice

illu

Part of the furniture
Right - I'm using Vegas 6 and I input all my files into the Media Bins last night, making about 10 folders and importing all the clips I wanted into each of the folder/media bins.
There amounted to about 6Gb worth of clips that I was going to edit/leave out/chop/play with.
I started with Media Bin 1 and put the files on the timeline and did most of the intro and saved the work as a .veg file and went to bed.

Now today I try and open the .veg file and it tries to open the 6Gb of files in all the media bins, all at once, so my machine fails after about 2Gb with no resources left.
I have 2Gb of RAM.
I have made a 4Gb RAM Paging File and rebooted the machine.
It will NOT load up the veg file past about 40% :/

What did I do wrong?

What is the best method of importing all your clips in folders so that you can do things by chapters?

Is the work I did salvageable?

Currently downloading Vegas 7 to see if it makes any difference :/

FFS

Oli - Illu

disdain

Banned
the hell is media bins?

dont complicate it so much, just use your normal windows folders...

Septina

Part of the furniture
the hell is media bins?

dont complicate it so much, just use your normal windows folders...

Exactly what i was thinking. :p Just use the 'explorer' in Vegas to locate the files and drop on the timeline. Always when i make movies i have all the needed files in the same folder for easy access from the Vegas Explorer.

About the 6gb of files, shouldnt really make any difference, had projects taking over 50gb on some movies i've made and havent had any problems like this. :O

kivik

Part of the furniture
What others has said, just open the folder you put your raw recordings in the explorer.

censi

Can't get enough of FH
yes link your media bin to one overal file with all your footage in it. I found each raw fraps file needed to be put through the trimmer to cut out the pre and post bits of crap u dont wanna see. Then I would save that as FILENAME+SUBCLIP1 etc in another media bin. I actually name the media bins with the songs used for that section and ofc put the music file in there as well.

It makes things nice and simple when putting this togther. its important to have things organised logically.

if u need any help with it oli let me know. I cant do any flash editing but I know how to do most basic things including the decent codec to use and the settings to get the most out of it..

IIRC mainly through septima help! but u gotta put some hours into it to get the most out of it. its a comercial package so its not gonna be instantly obvious how to use all of it. but on the whole its reasonably user friendly with just the odd thing being handled very stupidly imo...

disdain

Banned
About the 6gb of files, shouldnt really make any difference, had projects taking over 50gb on some movies i've made and havent had any problems like this. :O

i had over 100GB!! over 2 networked computers!!! hah!

illu

Part of the furniture
Thanks for the advice.
I started from scratch again and now refuse to close down Vegas till it is finished :> It takes so damn long to put it all together /cry. I hope the computer doesn't crash :)

I reckon another 10 days before it is ready if nothing goes wrong.....

Oli - Illu

Mas

One of Freddy's beloved
Illu im missing your spec af and haste, oh and nys says you got a alch levelled up and i have a huuuge list of pots etc :)

illu

Part of the furniture
Illu im missing your spec af and haste, oh and nys says you got a alch levelled up and i have a huuuge list of pots etc :)

I'll be on again soon, maybe next week after the Bank Holiday :p
Working on this poxy vid. How to reduce 70 mins of footage I am in love with to 25-30mins, it's nigh on impossible :( Ah well, I'll sort something out.

I think my Alch is around 900. I have to find a few more days to blown my brains out levelling up my WC/Alch and SCer. The crafting in this game is painful. In the meantime, if you ask Pip nicely, he sometimes does some Alch for people :>

Oli - Illu

illu

Part of the furniture
The raw vid is finished and comes in at a whopping 37mins o_O!
I trimmed down a year's worth of footage, literally 1,300+ clips and had to leave out a lot of fights that I really liked simply due to vid length and size considerations (they may end up in a future vid if I ever make another one!). At one stage I was tempted just to say to hell with it and make a 60 minute vid hehe.

I'm now running Vegas 7.0e which seems relatively unstable on one computer, but luckily better on the slower computer.

Rendering the vid has become an absolute nightmare, the computer just cannot handle it on the better pc, it just keeps crashing :/ I've now installed Vegas on the other computer (which is way slower) but it seems to be better.
This latest render (touch wood) has gone the furthest so far (39%). By my calculations, it is due to hit 110Gb in the uncompressed form (jesus!).

But, if it fails again, can you render films in 2 halves?

I really hope it works this time, then I can shove it through virtualdub and hopefully upload the finished result by the weekend. It looks like it's going to weigh in at 500mb o_O.

Anyway, fingers crossed, see what happens.........

Oli - Illu

Septina

Part of the furniture
Vegas automatically renders whatever you have selected on the timeline, if you have nothing selected it will render the whole project, but say you only want half the movie, then simply doubleclick the first clip on the timeline and then go to the right 'selection bracket' and drag that to the middle of the movie, the render process will now stop where the right selection bracket is put instead of rendering the entire movie. :)

And after that to render the next part ofcourse doubleclick the clip after where you stopped the render of the first clip. :p

Hope this made any sense at all. ^^

illu

Part of the furniture
Any recommended programs to glue the avi files together after I chop the movie up?
Can I stick them together in virtual dub?

Oli - Illu

Septina

Part of the furniture
Any recommended programs to glue the avi files together after I chop the movie up?
Can I stick them together in virtual dub?

Oli - Illu

Yep, File / Append AVI Segment iirc. :)
Just make sure that the clips go 'into eachother' on the same second so you dont get any 'hack' in the movie.

censi

Can't get enough of FH
is your movie ready then oli...

i would recomend u let me preview it prior to publishing for feedback!

illu

Part of the furniture
Yep, File / Append AVI Segment iirc. :)
Just make sure that the clips go 'into eachother' on the same second so you dont get any 'hack' in the movie.

I think there is a 1 frame overlap on each section ^^ - see what happens. I had to render the movie in 5 separate sections as the computer could not handle the amount of data. The last section is rendering now, so if I get time I'll try and put the stuff together tonight and maybe kick off the virtual dub compressing first stage tonight and maybe the second stage tomorrow night. Saying that - I'm meant to be going for a beer or 2 tomorrow :>

Hopefully - touch wood - it'll be ready for downloading in the next 2 or 3 days if all goes well, but I wouldn't put any money on it :>

I love the music in this vid :>

Oli -Illu

illu

Part of the furniture
is your movie ready then oli...

i would recomend u let me preview it prior to publishing for feedback!

But that would just spoil the surprise :>

And you might be in it.......o_O

Oli - Illu

pjuppe

Fledgling Freddie
gonna try and hijack this thread abit. i have a problem i'm wondering if someone could help me with. when making 2 or more seperate video channels for viewing at the same time, is it possible to make one of the video channels a circle instead of a rectangle? and if so, how do i go about doing this? :)

Septina

Part of the furniture
gonna try and hijack this thread abit. i have a problem i'm wondering if someone could help me with. when making 2 or more seperate video channels for viewing at the same time, is it possible to make one of the video channels a circle instead of a rectangle? and if so, how do i go about doing this? :)

Use the 'Cookie Cutter' Video FX, you can select any shape you want there really, tho, the video segment will ofcourse loose the 'edges' outside the circle unless you want to rezise the clip to fit inside the circle, but that would look quite odd. :p

pjuppe

Fledgling Freddie
Use the 'Cookie Cutter' Video FX, you can select any shape you want there really, tho, the video segment will ofcourse loose the 'edges' outside the circle unless you want to rezise the clip to fit inside the circle, but that would look quite odd. :p

exactly what i was looking for. thx a million!

censi

Can't get enough of FH
But that would just spoil the surprise :>

And you might be in it.......o_O

Oli - Illu

you should let me render it and pick music selection for you....

it will rox...

seriously though dont publish it without getting me to give it the once over... you have taken a year to collect footage, so im assuming your aim is to make a masterpiece vid. It pays to get a second opinion on things though. im a good critic too.

illu

Part of the furniture
you should let me render it and pick music selection for you....

it will rox...

seriously though dont publish it without getting me to give it the once over... you have taken a year to collect footage, so im assuming your aim is to make a masterpiece vid. It pays to get a second opinion on things though. im a good critic too.

Ok - I'll just send you 103GB of raw uncompressed data :> What's your email address? :)

I finally managed to render the vid and then pass it one last time through Virtualdub to compress the sound and make it the final version.

It is zipped and will be released to the public in about 3 hours :p

Looking forward to being able to play the game again :>

Oli - Illu

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom