help needed

zeusmdk

Fledgling Freddie
having a problem running cammy on my new box
after about 5 to 10 mins it powers off the system and will not reboot for about 5 mins the cpu temp is running at around 45c so cpu is fine
spec is 1.5g ram
3gig 64bit amd
x800 pro radaon
running windows xp pro

is dose not crash when just running windows
ps have also tried dropping the setting right down as well but it still happens
any clues

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
I had constant crashes and reboots with the system i built about 5 weeks ago when running camelot. Turned out it was the mboard that didnt like the low quality ram i had bought, so i returned it and bought some better branded ram and it works fine since. Mboard is an Abit AI7 and new ram is from samsung.

Frosen

Fledgling Freddie
Like Fana said this could be a problem of ram, but the reason your comp wil not boot for 5 mins could be due to overheating also.
Your cpu is not the only component that can overheat i'd suggest you downloading a hardware monitor and since you got a nice gfx card there might be some heating readers on the card itself to monitor.
Anyway even your chipset on your MB can overheat so chech if all the fans and heatribbons (or however they are called) are properly attached.
You can also try and open your pc and put a big ventilator on it to see if its a prob with overheating.
Hope this helps cause i know the feeling of a new system that doesn't want to run properly :(

Herjulf

Banned
gifv more info mboard name cpu cooler name, gfx card brand(manufacturer). etc.

To me it sounds like its some sort of failsafe that kicks in.
GFX card that overheats some gfx cards do shut down system if overheated as a precaution.
System temperature goes high or cpu temp raises, i do know you said 45C, but is that while running daoc?
Do you use the FAN monitor function in bios? perhaps one of the monitored fans go below the set rpm limit and the bios force a shutdown.

The reason i very much feel its temperature related is the 5minute delay until you can turn on the sytem again.
Sound like a cooldown period to me. As the logic shuts down your system when critical temp is reached then when the lower set limit is reached it allows system to be turned on again.

A way to go around such functions and boot immediatly again is to unplug DC cable and wait 10-15secs then plug it in again. this usually resets the timer.

Another matter could be the AC/DC, do the fan in it work?
Its quite common that dust etc build up and cooling to fan rpm controllers not work well or wont work at all.
Or simply the rpm controller have stopped working, thus the power when reaching critical level shuts itself down.
Or cabling etc prohibits effective cooling of the ac/dc box.

Personally i am pretty comfortable in the idea of it being temperature related.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
could also be the psu overheating or malfuntioning .. had the same problem once put in a spare psu and everything worked fine

Khale

Fledgling Freddie
Make sure you connect the sensors on the right plug. I had a similar experience and turned out to be that they switched 2 sensors in the newest firmware ( :twak: Mobo programmers).
Just a suggestion. Probably the best thing to try is to see if you can try stuff out on a working pc (like videocard, memory etc.)

frogster

Fledgling Freddie
Moriath said:
could also be the psu overheating or malfuntioning .. had the same problem once put in a spare psu and everything worked fine
What this clever man said. What is your PSU rating? Did you update your PSU when you ugraded your system? :twak: The PSU is most likely to be the reason for your thermal shutdown after CPU (which you say is ok) and Gfx Card.

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
Moriath said:

I think this is the most common probelm that most ppl over look and from what you have said.. this is proberly the probelm, I come accross this all the time. in my job normaly down to cheap power supplys.

zeusmdk

Fledgling Freddie
here some more stuff i have done and some more info have bench marked it using 3dmark2001se when run then test it will crash out on the second test (the game some like dragon it did this twice so i stopped it doing that test it the completed all the other tests fine so tried just the test that had made it fall over by its self which it passed but if i run them all it still crash's

some one ask for mobo spec its a asus k8v

have the system runing with an old nvida 128meg card and it runns fine no crash's (this made me think fubar graphics card)

however the radeon x800pro runs fine in my old system with out a single crash passed all bench mark test the old system is a amd 2gig amd 32bit with 1.5 gig of evesham ram

have tried swaping them back but still getting the same problem

so so far i have eliminated it just beening cammy been cammy its not the x800 pro

in fact i dont know what it is some one please tell meh its driving meh mad
mmmoooooooooo

every thing in the new system is new including the 550 watt psu

oh duunno know if this means much but when i was running the bench mark tests (with the graphics card in the new system ie before i started swapping stuff) the system crash and i left it (other wise i would have picked up the large hammer) when i came back to it (after like 5 hours i still had to unplug the power cable to get it to reboot! which was strange but stranger still was the fact that the bios siad it time and clock was not set

have also run sandra no problems there

frogster

Fledgling Freddie
www.viaarena.com make sure you have the latest 4 in 1s. Make sure AGP 3.0 support is installed. I'd load the default settings in your bios too to see if that helps.

zeusmdk

Fledgling Freddie
SOLVED

well i swapped psu with an older one i had at 400 watts and no crash so i took psu back same thing happened got different model and it works now score 17985 on 3dmark2001se mmmmm looks well sweet ta all for help

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom