help me find a digital camera....

snake75

Fledgling Freddie
ok I need a Digital Camera, best one I can get but cheap as possible.....suggestions please!

:m00:

snake75

Fledgling Freddie
im not a king im a princess, and i just want a goddamn cheap digital camera thats not crap, didnt ask for sarcasm thank u :p

Will

/bin/su
You'll need to give more details...approx budget, what you consider crap, do you want a flash, how much storage you think you'll need, etc etc.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Will said:
You'll need to give more details...approx budget, what you consider crap, do you want a flash, how much storage you think you'll need, etc etc.

and how much sarcasm you are willing to accept *

*not that we pay much attention to that :D

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
I got an Olympus 450, it's fairly cheap and good for a brain-less point and click camera. Otherwise go for the canon a60-70-80 (is there a 90?) which are very good. :D

Don't buy sony cameras! :p

Whipped

Part of the furniture
There's some good threads in the imaging forum that helped me decide to buy my Cannon Powershot A70. Well pleased with it.

SoWat

Loyal Freddie
I just replaced my aging HP camera for a dinky little 4 megapixel Pentax Optio S4i. It fits nicely into a shirt pocket and takes great pictures. About £250 from Capital Sound and Vision Crawley (aka www.unbeatable.co.uk).

They also do a 3.1 megapixel version for about £175, though the 4 megapixel non-movie version is a better buy at £189.

Athan

Resident Freddy
One thing I'd say is to get a camera with optical zoom if at all possible. Mine doesn't have it, and whilst I mostly use it for party pic type purposes and it's not so important there I DO miss having optical zoom (it's a Fuji MX-2700 with a digital zoom, but that's a bit naff).

Resolution wise the 2.3MP on mine is probably more than enough (640x480 or 1800x1200 resulting images). Given you're after something cheap I doubt you're wanting to do anything even vaguely professional with it that would benefit from higher resolution.

-Ath

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If you can stretch to £250, then the s50 that Dys suggested will not let you down. Fantastic camera, hardly a budget model though.

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
The Konica Minolta DiMAGE Xg costs £160 ish and owns big time. ~About the size of a pack of cards and takes fab photos. Can't provide a link coz their webby seems to have melted though.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Whatever you get get the best prices you can from the net (something like uk.pricerunner.com) and take printouts with you into a local Jessops. They have a policy they don't advertise too heavily whereby they'll do their best to match any price provided the place you have the price from has it in stock. I used it last april and bought my Canon Powershot A70 for £230 when they had it priced for £300!

I'm very glad I did, the power button broke after a couple of hours so they did me a straight swap no questions asked, I haven't had a moments trouble from the replacement.

Will

/bin/su
My girlfriends Mum used Jessop's online price to get a discount from a Jessop's store. I think a certain amount of insistance was required for that one.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
I had a Nikon Coolpix 775, other than the terrible marketeer's name, a very very nice camera. I imagine that it's been replaced by newer Nikon models (it's a couple of years old, was something around £250 when new).

What ever you get, don't leave it on a train :(

Athan

Resident Freddy
It was a random TCR shop not Jessops, but I did a similar thing when buying my MX-2700 back in 1999. I knew I could get it for £435 online and said this to the shop owner when I saw the price around £100 over that and he happily brought his price down.
Cost me £80 for an additional 32MB Smart Media card back then too. Oh how times have changed on the prices of both the cameras and the storage.

The total of £515 was why I wasn't going to pay the extra £100-150 for a model with optical zoom.

-Ath

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom