Help me decide please :)

• Thread starter old.pala hellraiser
  • Start date
O

old.pala hellraiser

Hi guys I have a rather complicated problem, this computer is on offer at the moment:

Specification:

Processor : Athlon XP2600+ processor
Memory : 1024MB DDR RAM PC2700
Hard Disk : 160GB Hard Disk
Graphics : nVidia Geforce 128MB AGPx8 Graphics
DVD : 16x DVD-ROM Drive
CD Writer : 52x CD-Rw CD ReWriter Drive
TV-Out : TV-Out and DVI
Sound : 6 channel built in
Ethernet : 10/100 Ethernet Port
Operating System : Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition Verify
USB : 5xUSB Ports
Ports : Standard serial and parallel ports
Modem : 56k V92 Modem
Case : Full ATX Case
Keyboard : multimedia keyboard
Mouse : Logitech Mouse
Floppy : 1.44mb floppy drive
Other Features : integrated multi-flash memory card reader
00452 G4 XP2600 1024 160 CD-RW DVD

Its going for £700 which is a good deal (works out more on other sites I have looked at), only this is, is that the graphics card is a Microstar 8891 G4MX440 8x card, which isn't the best for playing the latest games which is what I want the system for. As this is a fixed deal I can't change the graphics card.

Do you guys think its worth me getting this computer then buying a graphics card separately for the system, or do you think that would work out more expensive?

If you think it would work out more expensive then buying a different system could you tell me some good UK online retailers please that offer fast and affordable systems?

Any help with this is much appreciated.

Cheers

N

nath

Problem is, you could swap out the graphics card, but all the other stuff is going to be crap. Sure it's a 160gb hdd, but it'll be the shittest available. Same goes for everything there. Pre built systems suck arse. Alienware (I hear) make good ones though, check them out.

D

Deadmanwalking

All i can suggest are

Mesh

Or of course

Dell

Then you can always build you own and save alot of money.

O

old.pala hellraiser

hehe no I know pre-built systems normally use really bad manufacturers but I have looked into it and the hdd is made by Seagate 7200rpm, Motherboard is an MSI, RAM is Micron, I have been told from the people at motherboards.org that these components are pretty decent.

W

Will

Originally posted by nath
Alienware (I hear) make good ones though, check them out.
But have you seen the price? They have the same sort of mark up as the other pre-built PC makers.

N

nath

's no big deal tbh. We get high end p4 machines (albeit with about 40gb's hdd) and all that other stuff for about 300 quid. They run about as well as a p90 though, tbh. Utter arse.

T

throdgrain

Last pc I bought was from evesham, and all the componants seemed very good as far as I could tell. Asus mobo etc. And that was a pre-built system. Having said that , it wern't cheap :(
When you look at most of the "cheap" stuff on offer, theres generally a catch, ie mx440 , motherboard made by JCB or whatever :)

O

old.pala hellraiser

hehe aye always a catch, just thought this was a pretty good system, decent components all apart from the graphics card, just going to buy a new Ti4200 or something to go in it I think.

N

nath

Get a ti4800 or an ati 9500. Both go for about 130 and will be better than the 4200 tbh.

O

old.pala hellraiser

Hmm nice is that price in £'s or $'s ?

And what website is good to get them from in the UK?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread