Help - Fujitsu FDX310 ADSL modem and Windows XP

H

hooligun

Help anyvbody please !!

Just took delivery of nice new PC from Novatech:

Athlon 2000XP
512 Meg DDR 333 RAM
MSI KT3 Ultra2 Mobo (VISA KT333 chipset I believe plus USB 2.0)
Windows XP Home

When I try and connect the above ADSL modem I get the following problems:

1. Sometimes I get it installed, the power light is on constant but the data light just keeps flashing. When I create a dial-up connection it fails with error 678 (computer not answering).

2. Othertimes I install the ADSL modem (after removing and deleting the drivers for about the 5th time) and Windows XP refuses to recognise it, I don't even get the power light on the modem to come on.

The same modem works fine in my old Windows 98 machine (USB 1.0).

Anybody had any problems like this ?

Any idea whether it's the modem, the OS or the Motherboard (I thought USB 2.0 was backwards compatible with 1.1) ?

All advice gratefully received.

O

old.s-p

Originally posted by hooligun
Help anyvbody please !!

Just took delivery of nice new PC from Novatech:

Athlon 2000XP
512 Meg DDR 333 RAM
MSI KT3 Ultra2 Mobo (VISA KT333 chipset I believe plus USB 2.0)
Windows XP Home

When I try and connect the above ADSL modem I get the following problems:

1. Sometimes I get it installed, the power light is on constant but the data light just keeps flashing. When I create a dial-up connection it fails with error 678 (computer not answering).

2. Othertimes I install the ADSL modem (after removing and deleting the drivers for about the 5th time) and Windows XP refuses to recognise it, I don't even get the power light on the modem to come on.

The same modem works fine in my old Windows 98 machine (USB 1.0).

Anybody had any problems like this ?

Any idea whether it's the modem, the OS or the Motherboard (I thought USB 2.0 was backwards compatible with 1.1) ?

All advice gratefully received.

First thing I should point out is that I have the same modem working on Win XP Pro so I don't think the OS is the problem.

1. Looks like it could possibly be a line synching problem. You definately sure that BT have done their work yet?

2. Might be a USB problem. I found on my older generic rig that the USB modem was only recognised about 70% of the time. Could have been related to driver issues. Now on my current system, it gets recognised every time.

Hopefully someone else more technical can come along and help you more than I have. :p

O

old.Hooligun

Got it sorted.

Just don't quite know how.

After taking a look at a lot of worrying posts on ADSL-guide.org about problems with this modem type I went off to kick the cat for a while.

Came back and Win-XP seemed to have detected the modem again (I had already installed it once). It prompted me for the drivers which I loaded again and lo and behold it worked. Been fine ever since.

I did take the precaution of switching off the Win-XP option which can power down USB ports to save power. Could be pain in the middle of a game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom