Help a new Player in the "stealth war" (advice / comments appreciated)

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Hi there.

I have no doubt most of you guys are wondering who the hell i am.

Well for your information... i am nobody <smiles>

Having hit level 50 last week (after a lot of struggling) i finally started to go out to RvR as a level 50 Infiltrator.

I was quite exited to be honest...

I strolled out into emain with a great sense of trepidation for my forth-comming fights...

... then i was 3 shotted by some shadowblade <grins>

Some info...

If you meet me outside emain - i am solo (100%) if you meet me in emain i am most likely solo (maybe 90% so far, i think)

I realy only go to Emain / Hibernia as a last resort... Midgard and Albion frontiers have been deserted lately. I LOVE darkness falls, and spend as much time there as possible.

I am Sc'ed - though it is a 99% af102 suit - that doesnt cap "everything"
Using 2 x Silencer fangs (16.5 dps, 2.6 speed)

I decided to Spec... 44 slash/44 crit/36 stealth/36 Venom/27 Duel, and since i dont have a second account, the only buffs i will ever have, are from passing clerics who happen to be in a good mood. (in reality - out of my entire time RvRing so far - i have been buffed for about 5% of it i think)

I am currently RR2L4 with Vanish as my only Realm ability (yeah - i know... too late now, already picked it)

I have a couple of things that i would like advice on please...

----------

1 - Why is it, that when striking enemies... i seem to be hitting for only around 100ish damage, yet return swings come just as fast, and routinly hit me for 200+? Is it a function of Realm rank? Buff related? weapons?

Examples that spring to mind are...

Dwera, Succi, Bite, Shadowblade with name begining Q (cant remember full name)

These folks all routinely 3 or 4 shot me, i am aware they are high RR, is this the reason? can i expect things to even out a little later on in my career?

One particular instance of me spectacularly dieing was after i landed the Full PA chain on a shadowblade, who then proceded to beat the crap outa me after CD stun wore off... :(

2 - My current modified stealth is 48... which i thought was fairly good. Yet more often than not... assasins seem to be seeing me. I try to move in routes that most would not normally use... yet still i am attacked... Perhaps Stealth lore?

Bite and dwera could answer this... You seem to find me a lot... do you see me from a LONG way off?

3 - I am considering trying to respec to 50 slash, 34 crit, would this offer any real advantage over my current 44/44... since i have no acces to buffs... maybe this would help my weaponskill a bit... ?

-------

Thanks for any answers you can provide to the above.

I would also appreciate any general advice people can give to a Solo unbuffed Stealther. Yes i know i wont fair well in the stealth war... but still... i am having fun. (most of the time <smiles> )

Thanks again in advance... and see you out there. (probably after you see me and beat the crap outta me <grin>)

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Yes

Tzanetos the LoverBoy said:
You play an infil w/o a bb??

Yes.

Now please could you contribute to the thread in a meaning full way at all?

Same for others... no need to reply if you are just going to post irelevant rubbish.

Remem

Fledgling Freddie
Urgat said:
Hi there.

I have no doubt most of you guys are wondering who the hell i am.

Well for your information... i am nobody <smiles>

Having hit level 50 last week (after a lot of struggling) i finally started to go out to RvR as a level 50 Infiltrator.

I was quite exited to be honest...

I strolled out into emain with a great sense of trepidation for my forth-comming fights...

... then i was 3 shotted by some shadowblade <grins>

Some info...

If you meet me outside emain - i am solo (100%) if you meet me in emain i am most likely solo (maybe 90% so far, i think)

I realy only go to Emain / Hibernia as a last resort... Midgard and Albion frontiers have been deserted lately. I LOVE darkness falls, and spend as much time there as possible.

I am Sc'ed - though it is a 99% af102 suit - that doesnt cap "everything"
Using 2 x Silencer fangs (16.5 dps, 2.6 speed)

I decided to Spec... 44 slash/44 crit/36 stealth/36 Venom/27 Duel, and since i dont have a second account, the only buffs i will ever have, are from passing clerics who happen to be in a good mood. (in reality - out of my entire time RvRing so far - i have been buffed for about 5% of it i think)

I am currently RR2L4 with Vanish as my only Realm ability (yeah - i know... too late now, already picked it)

I have a couple of things that i would like advice on please...

----------

1 - Why is it, that when striking enemies... i seem to be hitting for only around 100ish damage, yet return swings come just as fast, and routinly hit me for 200+? Is it a function of Realm rank? Buff related? weapons?

These folks all routinely 3 or 4 shot me, i am aware they are high RR, is this the reason? can i expect things to even out a little later on in my career?

One particular instance of me spectacularly dieing was after i landed the Full PA chain on a shadowblade, who then proceded to beat the crap outa me after CD stun wore off... :(

2 - My current modified stealth is 48... which i thought was fairly good. Yet more often than not... assasins seem to be seeing me. I try to move in routes that most would not normally use... yet still i am attacked... Perhaps Stealth lore?

Bite and dwera could answer this... You seem to find me a lot... do you see me from a LONG way off?

3 - I am considering trying to respec to 50 slash, 34 crit, would this offer any real advantage over my current 44/44... since i have no acces to buffs... maybe this would help my weaponskill a bit... ?

-------

Thanks for any answers you can provide to the above.

I would also appreciate any general advice people can give to a Solo unbuffed Stealther. Yes i know i wont fair well in the stealth war... but still... i am having fun. (most of the time <smiles> )

Thanks again in advance... and see you out there. (probably after you see me and beat the crap outta me <grin>)

1. No way u can compete vs buffed assasins unbuffed + use str/con debuff pos + Get new wpns :) Since its supposed to be 1 on 1 but just crap prydwen stealthers who havent understood this. Its very small marginals that decides who to win so u need to opt u r char if u wanna compete.
And ofcourse RR does matter.

2. 48 aint stealth aint very high

3. No as slash spec u suffer even more from str/con debuff and lose dragonfang definenatly not a good spec run unbuffed with since u kinda have to rely on DF very much as unbuffed since there is no chance u can outdmg u r enemies.

Best imo for u would be to team up and duo with friends u ll get to know who got bots etc and when u get to know em u can leech buffs from em and solo more.
Cant remember what spec i had pre rr5 at my infil was about 2 years since played him but think it was like 50 thrust 39 cs 35 stealth 35 envenom rest DW, and at rr5+ i respecced to 50 thrust 50 dw which is imo alot better spec but not very good pre rr5 since u ll lack alot of other stuff from havin the 50 DW, e,g str/con debuff at l47 which is most important posion and also stealth ofc.

GrivneKelmorian

Fledgling Freddie
Urgat said:
----------

-------

1: i hit hard couse of my axes. 2x 4.1 spd axes that dose energy elemental dmg.

2: stealthlore in most cases...but an assasin with 50/51 stealth will spot you rather easy anyway.

3: there is, imo, no reason to spec slash as it is now, no evade stun and with LG heat weapons you will do pre-ToA slash dmg on all assasins as slash infs use to do on SBs.

sko

Loyal Freddie
Kittana: be prepared to die alot if you don't have high rr, no acess to buffs and no "über" toa items. It's gonna be a hard, if not closed, road to the top without these.

I suggest you look into getting a friend to travel with.. I honestly don't see anything else to do.

And for the sb's seeing you.. its stealth lore from artifacts... even I, as a minstrel with 43 base stealth can see 50 stealth assassins while my lore is active.

Another thing, mids have strength relics = 20% increased melee damage. These make alot of difference.

And when playing unbuffed vs a buffed target, you may aswell give up.. they get their strength and most other stats doubled. OF COURSE this makes a difference.

Sorry, but its the hard truth. Solo/unbuffed and get owned. Duo or more/buffed, you may win, but you also get strong forum whine.

Maybe I get some spare conc. next time in emain... bug me if you see Naagauk or my buffer Benn Dover at apk :)

Oldfaravid

Fledgling Freddie
1. unbuffed vs buffed is a hell of a difference add realm rank to it and yes you loose although you get pa chain in.. but being hit as unbuffed infil bye a sb for 200 isnt to bad when we in buffed shape get hit bye infils for 200-300 :(

Regarding your dmg, I think most infils fully specc one of either slash or thrust to get as much out of it as possible.

2. Your stealth will be good enough as you move up in realmrank 36+ realmrank will be enough. However the reason why you are being spotted isnt just your current 36+12 in stealth its STEALTH LORE. Stealth lore is a magical ability on ToA items that give the user +20 to stealth (i think) and additional increase of detect hidden... get stealth lore and some rps ---> higher realm rank and you will be fine..

3. Some infil should probably answer this. But i find your current specc interesting.

Some last points of advice. Duo with a friend is a nice way to go you get buffs go up the realmranks and later you will perhaps be able to solo more and just borrow buffs from those friends. Go camp outside your enemies portalkeeps. Svasud for example. if your unbuffed and it is primetiem and your planning on playing more then 1 hour.. make the trip its a long one but here you will find 1 on 1 fights that are most times not buffed. And in your case (cant belive im giving advice to a infil scum) Going for dragonfang specc would probably help you the most..

good luck to you hope to put a few arrows in your back some day!

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
*waves to Urgat*

Ello you old dog :)

One suggestion, and bear in mind Ive been out of game for a LONG time and the old memory was never really up to much in the first place, but you might consider using a slower weapon for your PA and switching quickly for the follow up...

Good luck, anyway :)

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Cheers

Hmmm..

Regarding the Duoing/buffs...

I really really want to avoid this if at all possible. It matters to me that i achieve my victories through my skills as a player, as oppose to numbers/advantages.

That said - i accept that i will be killed often if i run unbuffed. I guess i was just trying to find out if there was anything else i could do to even the odds a little.

Regarding the spots to hunt...

Yes - i always go to Uppland at the begining of every RvR outing, but alas - for the past 4 nights - i have not seen a single anemy in the entirety of the mid frontier... seriously... not one person in four days. I even sat - unstealthed - at the amg for 10 minutes to see if anyone was about. <grins>

Regarding my slash spec... I did it for two reasons...

Ill be truthfull... I PURPOSELY did not spec thrust to avoid the whole "one button DF for the win" whines. No one can say i beat em cos of a i win button...

Second - for the looks. I LOVE the Azure silencer Fang Lightsaber effect, and IMO - LOOKS > anything. <smiles>

I would be very very loath to give up slash for thrust. It will happen only if i 100% cannot play as a slash specced inf. (which i doubt is true... i can kill people... so slash cant be that bad)

So far... i have yet to win a fight with another stealther... however... versus every other class i have attacked - i have won. (in fact my first RvR kill was a lone RR5 Kobold bonedancer... Who says they cant be killed? <smiles>)

Tzan

Fledgling Freddie
Urgat said:
Yes.

Now please could you contribute to the thread in a meaning full way at all?

Same for others... no need to reply if you are just going to post irelevant rubbish.

Did I sense a bit of irony there? Anyway... what Remem and most of others said. Havent played a sts a lot but I do know that w/o a bb it is crap. Prepare to get powned a lot m8 if you go unbuffed solo. Find sth to do as you wait at CS for the Mr Visur. (port/die/port/die/port/die/log)

Regards.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
!

Jupitus said:
*waves to Urgat*

Ello you old dog :)

One suggestion, and bear in mind Ive been out of game for a LONG time and the old memory was never really up to much in the first place, but you might consider using a slower weapon for your PA and switching quickly for the follow up...

Good luck, anyway :)

Jupe!

Come back!

Remember all those years ago... when you said...

"Come to Alb! Join Pheonix legion! we want you here!"

Well - i finally gave in!

So that means you have to come back now <nods> Been a long time mate.

As for your sugestion...

It is my understanding, that The 3 "from stealth" crit styles (BS, BS2, and PA) are not affected by weapon speed at all.

I am pretty sure that i have read somewhere that your PA damage is calculated the same regardless of the speed of the weapon you are using. Thus using a Faster weapon is better, as you land CD quicker.

Aran Thule

Fledgling Freddie
Buffing makes a hideous amount of differance, if someone gives me the top buffs my hits rise 50% and all over things(accuracy/dodging ect) improve a lot too.

The stealth lore skill is nasty, luckily it gets reduced in effectiveness next patch.

As someone that 90% of the time runs unbuffed and solo i can tell you that you have a nasty uphill battle and its annoying when you do everything right and still end up eating dirt(or when you do manage to kill someone only to find they are rez sick).

So i have to agree with what the others have said, try to team up with a few others, learn the trade (but leave poor solo luri rangers alone) and hope for the best.

sko

Loyal Freddie
Urgat, you speak of even odds, and as if you beeing unbuffed would be fair...

well you got a serious disadvantage as beeing the only unbuffed bloke in town :eek:

edit: no matter how noble and skillful it is to beat someone in a straight 1 vs 1, unbuffed fight - Dark Age of Zergalot is afterall, not about 1 vs 1, but realm vs realm. (Yes, typical this coming from an alb? But its the truth. Its about cooperating).

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
Unbuffed vs buffed was hard before but now with ToA it is impossible. U have to fight elemental damage, SL and so on and so on.

My thoughts are:

1: respec to thrust. You get DF (u can beat rr6+ SB´s if they don´t have purge up), str/dex weapons and with elemental damage weapons you do as much damage as slash infils did before ToA.

2: Group with others the first 4rr´s until u get yourself some decent RA´s.

3: there is always loads of BB´s out in emain. Try and get some buffs from them.

4: Respec out of vanish if possible and get mop, purge and other passive RA´s first.

5: Get MP gear and some artifacts. You are gonna need MP gear now to be able to spellcraft properly. There are lots of good quests in ToA that gives rings, bracers etc.

Edit: If u still wanna run solo and unbuffed then hunt in frontier dungeons and in DF. You will have an easier time there then in Emain where 99,9% is buffed.

Hope this helps.

Remem

Fledgling Freddie
Urgat said:
Hmmm..

Regarding the Duoing/buffs...

I really really want to avoid this if at all possible. It matters to me that i achieve my victories through my skills as a player, as oppose to numbers/advantages.

That said - i accept that i will be killed often if i run unbuffed. I guess i was just trying to find out if there was anything else i could do to even the odds a little.

Regarding the spots to hunt...

Yes - i always go to Uppland at the begining of every RvR outing, but alas - for the past 4 nights - i have not seen a single anemy in the entirety of the mid frontier... seriously... not one person in four days. I even sat - unstealthed - at the amg for 10 minutes to see if anyone was about. <grins>

Regarding my slash spec... I did it for two reasons...

Ill be truthfull... I PURPOSELY did not spec thrust to avoid the whole "one button DF for the win" whines. No one can say i beat em cos of a i win button...

Second - for the looks. I LOVE the Azure silencer Fang Lightsaber effect, and IMO - LOOKS > anything. <smiles>

I would be very very loath to give up slash for thrust. It will happen only if i 100% cannot play as a slash specced inf. (which i doubt is true... i can kill people... so slash cant be that bad)

So far... i have yet to win a fight with another stealther... however... versus every other class i have attacked - i have won. (in fact my first RvR kill was a lone RR5 Kobold bonedancer... Who says they cant be killed? <smiles>)

Why ask at all if you alrdy know everything ?

Mavericky

Fledgling Freddie
The main reason why others are seeing you first is stealth lore, even when playing my hunter I see assasins before they see me with my stealth lore up (unless they have see hidden and my camo is down then it is same pretty much). Just the other night i saw one assasin and rear stunned him before he knew what was happening due to stealth lore, it felt so sweet :) I know that dwera uses stealth lore items most of the time.

If you are fighting shadowblades lots (or any leather wearing class) , then the best weapon to use against them is heat legendary. Leather has a built in 15% vulnrability against them so even with capped heat resist the max heat resist (exluding timed buffs) is 11%. The weapon also debuffs the heat resist with a proc, lowering their resists even more.

Stealth at 48 is very low, but the realm ranks can come thick and fast and i did fine with my stealthers with a base of 35 stealth so 50 with items and RR by the time i was RR5. To ofset your low stealth then try and get a stealth lore item.

Buff wise, you are never going to compete in emain without them. Most of the mids are buffbot whores (well i am anyway). So many people have buffs bots though so ask them, I am sure you will usally get someone to buff you. A tip, i have seen some people without bots pm people in the same guild and zone of the bot to ask for buffs, this usally gets a better response than an afk bot.

Try grouping in the early RR's as his can be a great way to learn things. Albion has great grouping stealth classes, shields and CC make it very worthwhile, but dont zerg, 3 is a sweet number for some really fun fights.

Lastly, if you do run without buffs, then respec to thrust, that is you only chance to win V buffed, as you will never outdamage your oponents so you have to use your classes main strengths.

Remem

Fledgling Freddie
Urgat said:
Jupe!

Come back!

Remember all those years ago... when you said...

"Come to Alb! Join Pheonix legion! we want you here!"

Well - i finally gave in!

So that means you have to come back now <nods> Been a long time mate.

As for your sugestion...

It is my understanding, that The 3 "from stealth" crit styles (BS, BS2, and PA) are not affected by weapon speed at all.

I am pretty sure that i have read somewhere that your PA damage is calculated the same regardless of the speed of the weapon you are using. Thus using a Faster weapon is better, as you land CD quicker.

Aye thats why SB:s go 2hand for Pa :eek6:

inqy

One of Freddy's beloved
toa is the devil.

oh and gl on your buffless task. Noble but fruitless tbh.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
?

Remem said:
Why ask at all if you alrdy know everything ?

Because i value the second oppinions of more experienced stealth playing gamers.

Thanks for the question though... don't let the door hit your ass on the way out of my thread.

<smiles>

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
Remem said:
Since its supposed to be 1 on 1 but just crap prydwen stealthers who havent understood this.
Where does it say it has to be 1 on 1?
Imo it's just crap leet kiddies who don't understand the basic premise of the game. RvR not PvP.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Remem said:
Aye thats why SB:s go 2hand for Pa :eek6:

OK.

Found it.

Confirmed...

5. How do the Assassination styles work?

Assassination styles (BS, BS2, PA) work differently than normal styles. Since these styles can only be used as an opener from stealth, these styles have had the DPS portion coded out and just add a static damage value. This allows for assassins to use fast weapons and still hit hard with their assassination styles. Furthermore, since the assassination styles add a static damage amount, faster weapons actually allow for a higher DPS than slower weapons in this case. Thus, one can debate the benefits of a slow assassination weapon versus a fast one.

Perforate Artery Cap = 75 + Critical Strike Spec * 9 + Nonstyle Cap
Backstab II Cap = 45 + Critical Strike Spec * 6 + Nonstyle Cap
Backstab I Cap = ~5 + Critical Strike Spec * 14 / 3 + Nonstyle Cap

From http://daoc.nisrv.com/modules.php?name=Weapon_Style_Faq

I knew i was right.

sko

Loyal Freddie
There's one more thing... the active use of alchemy and charges may prove very valuable.

bigchief

Fledgling Freddie
Urgat said:
OK.

Found it.

Confirmed...

From http://daoc.nisrv.com/modules.php?name=Weapon_Style_Faq

I knew i was right.
non style cap being effected by weapon speed. So a slower weapon gives a higher PA cap. As you are unbuffed you will rarely ever get close to it so its irrelevant. For a buffed assassin it has to be taken into consideration.

Also keep vanish imo. PA->CD->Vanish->PA->CD->SS...

should be able to handle a buffed target with that. Though theyd need to be solo :p And dont respec thrust unless you will be getting some legendary weapons. Mid leather armour is 10% thrust resistant, 10%slash weak. You would lose 20% damage vs them for the sake of a style you will rarely land due them being buffed and DW'ing.

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
afaik mid leather is neutral to thrust and hib leather is resistant to thrust

sko

Loyal Freddie
xxManiacxx said:
afaik mid leather is neutral to thrust and hib leather is resistant to thrust

Guess you know nothing then :p

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
1. About 95% of stealthers are fully buffed.
2. Alot of stealthers have almost all capped in way of stats and skills.
3. Alot of stealthers coming out now will have ToA equipment, such as sun and lg weapons.
4. The examples of people hitting are on you are like rr7+, can't really compare your dmg to theirs.
5. Most infils spec 50weapon, missing out on a high dmg style with 44slash speced there.

My advise if you want to have a chance, run duo or zerg like the rest of the stealthers, as really the only good solo'ers are very good players.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
?

Jaem- said:
1. About 95% of stealthers are fully buffed.
2. Alot of stealthers have almost all capped in way of stats and skills.
3. Alot of stealthers coming out now will have ToA equipment, such as sun and lg weapons.
4. The examples of people hitting are on you are like rr7+, can't really compare your dmg to theirs.
5. Most infils spec 50weapon, missing out on a high dmg style with 44slash speced there.

My advise if you want to have a chance, run duo or zerg like the rest of the stealthers, as really the only good solo'ers are very good players.

Thanks for the comments... although i am not very sure how i should take that last line...

If the only goiod soloers are very good players... why do they need uber equipment, and buffs to compete?

If "good player" = buffs and uber equipment, then i prefer to be a "bad player" to be honest.

Ill stick to taking out support, and just laugh when i get owned by other assasins if need be.

Just because i have no bot, and don't have the time to farm artifacts or uber equipment, does not make me a bad player... in my opinion. In fact - it make me a better player, i believe, when i can still make kills without having to resort to the above...

<shrug>

All advice so far appreciated folks - thanks.

Aran Thule

Fledgling Freddie
Urgat said:
If the only good soloers are very good players... why do they need uber equipment, and buffs to compete?

Ill stick to taking out support, and just laugh when i get owned by other assasins if need be.

Just because i have no bot, and don't have the time to farm artifacts or uber equipment, does not make me a bad player... in my opinion. In fact - it make me a better player, i believe, when i can still make kills without having to resort to the above...

They go for the best stuff because they dont like losing and will use every trick/weapon they have to win.
ie: buffbots/charges/ToA weapons/stealth lore/poisoned weapons(archers)

You might be lucky in taking out support but expect most of the time to fall over soon after, as pets still have the friendly ability to track even if stealthed.

i dont think anyone here said going around without bot/ToA ect said you would be a bad player.
its just that you will have to be good/lucky to get far without it.

i would say the dozen times ive gone into emain since ToA came out ive got one solo kill that i got points for(not including me volleying buffbots or killing rez sick).
You will have an easier time out there then i do but dont be surprised if you stand around waiting for an hour for a nice target and then eat dirt because they were enhanced.

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
Urgat said:

Speed does come into it, as faster weapons have a lower unstyled cap.
What would be ideal, would be using slow weapons (3.7+), with a decent haste charge/proc, because then you would be getting the damage of a 3.7+ pa but faster, as haste does not affect unstyled damage.

Urgat said:
If "good player" = buffs and uber equipment, then i prefer to be a "bad player" to be honest.

Want to know the truth?

Good players: Ones who have experience, have best buffs, have great SC, and know the few tricks of the trade. Theres no skill, theres just putting odd's in your favour for example by autotraining, by speccing the best spec, spending loads on alchemy for charges for another edge over the others, ect ect ect....

For example, no offence intented, but take Arauddry. Everyone thinks shes great, but what does she do thats so difirent to most other stealthers? Nothing, she still spams an anytimer backedup with an off-evade style, ect..
Reason she does so well is because on prydwen there aint alot of hib stealthers, as an alb stealther your main fights are gonna be with SB's. So she specs Slash, gets good SC suit, gets a good buffbot, an overpowered class, and the final ingrediant to becoming a 'good' assasin, play ALOT.

Urgat said:

Agreed, because you dont have time to farm artifacts or uber equipment does not of course make you a bad player, but it doesnt make you a good one. I beleive if you get a kill without resorting to being buffed/grouping ect.. it either means you were lucky, or the target was even more "casual" than you. Btw small little dig here, but why did you pick infil if you wanted challenging fights, i.e. unbuffed -v- buffed, untoa'ed -v- toae'ed, infil is the strongest assasing by quite a margin atm, untill high rr where the nightshade comes out strong also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom