Heart of America

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
We all know how rampant american students seem to freak out and bring guns into school with the purpose of killing colleagues and teachers. This film tries to explain the chain of events that lead to that happening, and somewhat succeeds doing just that. Still, if it would only be that simple......

A good watch, nonetheless.

Taen

Fledgling Freddie
when is elephant released .. cant w8 for it :D

Vae

Resident Freddy
It's already out at the cinema if that's what you mean and has been for about 1 month or so. Maybe it hasn't seen wide release though.

Ala

Fledgling Freddie
Never heard of Elephant yet. If they're both about senseless violence in high schools, I can't wait! :D

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've just watched Elephant. I don't mind admitting that I got it over BT, because none of my local cinemas seemed interested in showing it for any length of time.

Its a pretty disturbing film, and leaves the viewer to draw their own conclusions on the reasons behind what happens. Most of the film is concerned with the banal existence of most of the kids in school, unfortunately you don't really get the opportunity to discover why some of the kids are like they are (Michelle is a case in point, an interesting character). All through the film I had this deep sense of dread, because I knew what was coming, but didn't have a real idea of when it would arrive. Suffice to say that when 'it' does arrive, you won't be excited like the gunfight in Heat, chances are you'll be sickened and attracted to the violence in equal measures.

Well worth watching, and a lesson in simplicity from the director.

Mofo8

Fledgling Freddie
I saw Elephant last week and thought it was pretty good. I'm wasn't sure how closely it was meant to follow the events of Columbine, but there were a few bits in it that apparently happened there, like the kids being told to clear off and not go into the school 'cause bad things were going to happen.

BTW.... it's out to rent on DVD... I got it from Global.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom