health and safety

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I think its ball bag.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
its not a new thing, and we only have ourselves to blame.
This lawsuite culture growing in the UK has forced schools etc.. to take measures like this, what else are already cash strapped institutions suppose to do when parents sue because their kid fell off a swing :rollsees:

Mr Callaghan is a moron who cant see past the end of his nose to be very honest

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Some of the things people say are a health risk, are cause of knowledge of the risk.

15 years ago noone thought this and that could cause this and that and lived happily. Now that you know that you might get penis-droppage from a milkcarton, you don't stick it in anymore.

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
According to all those health warnings we should all be dead like 500 times already anyways so what is the worry :)

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
We'll die eventually. A little disease is nothing to worry about; lol. =<

Everything is unhealthy for you.

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
We've become a fear-driven society. Fear of being sued has created a utopia for the health and safety mafia (for example, at our work we're not allowed to put our bags anywhere on the floor in case someone hurts themselves by falling over them), fear of paedophiles means that children are hardly ever allowed to walk to school or play games in the streets, fear of terrorists mean that women can't take lipstick onto a plane and no-one can carry a drink on board (even though, and this is the funny bit, the 7/7 attack was on a f*ckin train and a bus).

We're wrapping ourselves up in so much cotton wool we're suffocating the life out each other... :mad:

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Yeah, it's definitely getting ridiculous...I didn't know about the "salmonella from egg carton" things, that's insane. And telling kids they can't play conkers because someone might die of a nut allergy? Yeah, because kids were dropping like flies from the evil conker plague until the ban came in to save us. It's fucking crazy.

-----

Shit, thinking about it, how have I lived this long? I spent my childhood:

1: Climbing trees. Dear gods, what was I thinking? I could have fallen out of the tree and, like, broken something, or died and stuff. We would have been left with no option but to sue the farmer in whose field the tree grew, since it was obviously his fault I fell out of the tree. Probably better to cut down all the trees to make sure no kids can fall out of them.

2: Playing conkers. Oh noes! Lethal conker shrapnel could have gone anywhere, spraying the playground and causing massive casualties by mass instant nut allergy. Picture the scene - little bodies everywhere, mown down by the hypersonic nut shrapnel. Ban this sick filth! Think of the children!

3: Riding a bike around twisty country lanes without wearing full body armour. I could have, y'know, grazed a knee or something! The horror! Time to call the family lawyer again and sue the council for making the road all graze-y. And the bike manufacturer for making it possible to fall off their bikes. And we'll be having a word with Mr. Isaac Newton's estate about the legality of making gravity so strong it pulls kids off their bikes, could be another lawsuit required there.

4: Running around a friend's farm, playing in barns full of hay-bales, playing on and in rusty old combine harvesters and bits of old machinery. OK, we shouldn't even have to point out why this is bad. These farms are nothing less than death camps. All farms will need to be closed immediately to prevent this sort of thing from going on. The tripling of food prices due to all food coming in the form of imports from less enlightened countries - where the mad fools still allow their children to play outdoors - will be a small price to pay for our peace of mind.

5: Playing with Meccano. Are you mad? Some of that Meccano could have had rust on it, it was made of metal after all! Slaughtering a generation of children with Meccano-delivered tetanus? It's insanity...INSANITY, I tell you! All Meccano will be collected and melted down, to help make more of the ships we're going to need to import all our food after the farms of DEATH are shut down.

6: Sledging down hills in the snow. Right. This sort of thing has to stop, and stop now; not only could you fall off the sledge, but exposure to snow and other winter conditions could mean you catch a COLD! Some hills may have to be flattened to remove the temptation to indulge in this kind of activity. At least our global warming program is finally yielding results in getting rid of snow, which is half the battle won right there.

....I could go on, but I suspect you get the point. Stop fucking regulating everything to the point where nobody goes out the front door in case they might breathe a bit of dust in or actually live a little (and yes, I appreciate the irony of saying that on a MMORPG forum).

-----

Go outside, run around, do stuff, have fun.

At some point you'll probably fall over, or cut yourself, or get a bruise, or get soil in your mouth, or eat a bug or something. Hey, maybe that's why your body came equipped with an immune system, pre-installed at birth! What a neat idea! It means you don't have to spend your whole life cowering in a fucking sterile chamber just in case you might come within 10 feet of a fucking germ one day and like catch a fucking COLD or something! And if you fall off your bike, or out of a tree, guess what? Kids have been falling out of trees for millennia, and the human race hasn't gone extinct yet. It kind of teaches you to keep a tighter grip on the branch, which is always sound evolutionary advice.

There's a reason the word 'accident' exists, and it's for a far more valid reason than the reason why the word 'litigation' exists; our society is turning into a morass of whiny little bitches whose first reaction on doing something to themselves is trying to find someone else to blame. "WAAAA! I cut my finger off with a kitchen knife because I was too busy watching Trisha while preparing lunch to keep my eye on the sharp thing next to my fingers! It can't be my fault; I must sue the knife manufacturer for millions of pounds for making their knife so sharp that it cut my finger off!"

God forbid we should ever take responsibility for our own actions, and our own misfortunes. I got hurt a few times when I was a kid, doing the stuff I mentioned above; I grew up in a small farming village in North Wales, and you played outside all the time...we ran around yards full of mowing machines, slurry pits and disused farm machinery, and we loved it. We re-enacted "draw 'em, cowboy" Wild West duels with pressure washers (the high-pressure water guns they use to clean milking parlours, they can knock you off your feet at 20 feet when you're 10 years old). We constructed huge labyrinthine dens and mazes in the barns, made of teetering piles of hay bales. Did I run whining to a lawyer the time I cut myself on a rusty bit of combine harvester? No, I just learned to take more care around rusty bits of metal. Did I sue the guy who owned the field the tree was in the time I fell out of a tree and suffered, y'know, that 'pain' stuff? No, I just learned to, as I said, keep a tighter grip on the branch.

nnngghhhh

/rant off

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Svartmetall said:
God forbid we should ever take responsibility for our own actions, and our own misfortunes. I got hurt a few times when I was a kid, doing the stuff I mentioned above; I grew up in a small farming village in North Wales, and you played outside all the time...we ran around yards full of mowing machines, slurry pits and disused farm machinery, and we loved it. We re-enacted "draw 'em, cowboy" Wild West duels with pressure washers (the high-pressure water guns they use to clean milking parlours, they can knock you off your feet at 30 metres when you're 10 years old). We constructed huge labyrinthine dens and mazes in the barns, made of teetering piles of hay bales. Did I run whining to a lawyer the time I cut myself on a rusty bit of combine harvester? No, I just learned to take more care around rusty bits of metal. Did I sue the guy who owned the field the tree was in the time I fell out of a tree and suffered, y'know, that 'pain' stuff? No, I just learned to, as said, keep a tighter grip on the branch.

nnngghhhh

/rant off

LOL i used to do all of that too, mazes in hay bales are amazing fun, used to make some complex ones with a large "room" in the middle with an old coach chair and magazines ahh they were the days. Oh and climbing around old combine harvesters etc is great fun

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Bracken said:
We're wrapping ourselves up in so much cotton wool we're suffocating the life out each other

i would never ever do that, fucking hate the stuff ::shudders::

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Svartmetall said:
Yeah, it's definitely getting ridiculous...I didn't know about the "salmonella from egg carton" things, that's insane. And telling kids they can't play conkers because someone might die of a nut allergy? Yeah, because kids were dropping like flies from the evil conker plague until the ban came in to save us. It's fucking crazy.

nnngghhhh

/rant off
As i said before mate, you cant blame the schools for parents suing them over every little thing. In my school back in the day we werent allowed to play Rugby because one kid broke his leg, and his parents launched a law suite against the school for it.
Fortunately the school came out on top, but rugby was banned nonetheless so you cant put it all on the institutions.

p.s Bubblewrap > Cotton Wool
i could sit and pop the stuff all day :x

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, people sue too readily.

Mind you, the bike riding thing did remind me of the one time my family should have sued.

I was cycling home from school shortly after it'd rained. I had to pass a tip, which had lots of greasy mud from building materials all over the road in front of it, and a steep hill just past it. As I went down the steep hill I found that the mud was stopping the brakes working. I nearly avoided the six foot wall at the bottom, bounced off and skidded along on my face. Fortunately no cars were around, or it'd have been scratch one Darzil.

A few years later I found the conditions of lease for the tip, which included a specific requirement that the owner install kit to clean the tyres of lorries leaving the site, to prevent this kind of problem. He saved a few quid by not doing so.

Darzil

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
i think all those useless little whiners who keep themselves in a job by complaining about pointless things should be put on a large ship and then sunk in the north sea somewhere. no wonder kids are running wild these days, if they have to have a think tank every time one needs punishing. a good swift kicking did the trick when i was a lad. at least they would learn that something nasty happens if you fuck up.

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
atos said:
haha UK is turning into the USA[/QUOTE
i agree tbh...seems in the US you can get sued for farting when walkin past some1's house. yea that was over the top but my point is its fucking ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom