Headscarves Vote

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi guys

I don't think I've ever started a thread in the general forums, so be gentle ;)

I was just curious as to what people think about the vote to ban Islamic headscarves and other religious symbols in French public schools? I've just been listening to a news bulletin on BBC radio and I was astounded by a quote from a French minister ...

French Minister said:
Behind those young girls in scarves are bearded Islamic militants
The Bill is apparently designed to reassert the secularity of the French state, but I suppose there's a fine line to tread between that and intolerence. Anyway, I was just curious to know what you thought.

Kind Regards

Edit ~ BBC News Viewpoints Article

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Whilst not agreeing with the comments made by the French, Im in total agreement with the ultimate goal.

just dont get me started in this subject :|

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Lazarus said:
Whilst not agreeing with the comments made by the French, Im in total agreement with the ultimate goal.

just dont get me started in this subject :|

Yeah, what he said. Interesting that everyone uses the phrase "ban Islamic headscarves and other religious symbols", indicating the debate has been hijacked by the Islamic lobby. France has had a policy of Secular behaviour in public life for over a century; for instance, if you get married in France, you have to have a civil ceremony; you're quite welcome to go to church afterwards, but state comes first. This is part of the same philosophy (and quite right too).

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I agree with the French stance on this issue. I see no reason why religious symbolism should be tolerated in a classroom environment.

Sar

Part of the furniture
What I want to know is where are the Islamic Fundamentalist Brownies, or the Shi'ite Muslim Guides?

Religion is cack imo.

:/

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Sar said:
Religion is cack imo.

:/

There is nothing worng with religion (ANY religion) - the problem is with the extremists who take it too far and exploit it for their own ends

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
But its always used as an excuse Laz, not that theres money to be made in terrorism :/

Sar

Part of the furniture
Trem said:
But its always used as an excuse Laz, not that theres money to be made in terrorism :/
Lol

Tell that to the terrorists in NI. They're all well pissed off now we're "at peace", because most of their money has dried up.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Yeah I agree. Like most British people I never go to church, (im actually an atheist and so wouldnt anyway) however I wonder if this has something to do with the rise of the muslim religion.
In many reasonably civilised countries Christianity, at least in any organised form, is on its knees. Yet they claim Muslim to be the fastest growing religon around. Is that because they have a lot of babies I wonder ? Or are people "converting" from other religions?
I live near a mosque, and so often see people coming and going, but the British white muslims I see there could be counted on one hand. Interesting.
As far as the France thing, well they are purely seccular over there, so they do have a point I suppose. Over here we are Church Of England though, and so couldnt argue that kind of stuff I dont suppose.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Lazarus said:
There is nothing worng with religion (ANY religion) - the problem is with the extremists who take it too far and exploit it for their own ends

Fundamentally no, there's nothing wrong with religion. But as Trem said, it's been used as an excuse for nearly all of the atrocities in human history.

9/11 being a prime example - even if most (15/19) of the suicide bombers came from a country that's supposedly friends with the US: Saudi Arabia.

Sar

Part of the furniture
throdgrain said:
Yet they claim Muslim to be the fastest growing religon around. Is that because they have a lot of babies I wonder ? Or are people "converting" from other religions?

Bit like the Catholics in NI. The Catholics are outbreeding the Protestants, and nearly outnumber them for the first time ever.

Once that happens, watch the likes of the DUP and the British Govt shit themselves enormously, as Sinn Fein win more and more votes and seats. Terrorists in Local Govt? Paisley will have a coronary.

Trem

Sar said:
Lol

Tell that to the terrorists in NI. They're all well pissed off now we're "at peace", because most of their money has dried up.

Thats what I meant j00 nubbin:eek:

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Sar/Trem

Thats basically what I have been saying. The fanatical "leaders" (take Osama for example) claim they are fighting a "Holy War". The reason they do this is because they know they will get "backing" of the other fanatics. If you ever read the Koran, there is NOTHING in that book which condones violence against another.

Yet, when you claim to be fighting a holy war, it seems that its a "no holds barred" fight. Basically exploiting religion to your own ends.

Bah!!!! youve got me started!!!!!!!!!

Trem

Jonty always starts these controversial threads, hes a right shit stirrer. BAN JONTY!:eek:

;)

Sar

Part of the furniture
Lazarus said:
Sar/Trem

Thats basically what I have been saying. The fanatical "leaders" (take Osama for example) claim they are fighting a "Holy War". The reason they do this is because they know they will get "backing" of the other fanatics. If you ever read the Koran, there is NOTHING in that book which condones violence against another.

Yet, when you claim to be fighting a holy war, it seems that its a "no holds barred" fight. Basically exploiting religion to your own ends.

Bah!!!! youve got me started!!!!!!!!!
I seriously doubt OBL had anything to do with the planning of 9/11. The US Govt imo knows it was somebody in Saudi Arabia (who btw are harbouring OBL as we speak - why don't the US march in and get him? Oh yeah, that's right, they might get their Oil supply taken off them), potentially a disgruntled member of the Saudi royal family. That's why the mastermind was forgotten about after 9/11 and Dubya and the family went after Saddam, who again was one of their own (as was OBL). It's all well and good when these despots are doing what they're told (The genocide of the Kurds was funded in US $ and arms from El Americano Govermente), but what they bite the hand that feeds them...

Pointless rant, but I felt like a good bitch.

:)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Trem said:
Jonty always starts these controversial threads, hes a right shit stirrer. BAN JONTY! :eek: ;)
Gah, you got me :p Thanks for your views, though, guys - makes interesting reading.

Kind Regards

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
I never realy understood the big deal about headscarfs.

I agree that there schould be no religious simbolism comming from the school as an institute, but pupils should have the right to follow their religion aslong as it isnt disruptive to the class.
These things scare me, whats next no hair beyond regulation lenght ?

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
Sar said:
Bit like the Catholics in NI. The Catholics are outbreeding the Protestants, and nearly outnumber them for the first time ever.
*bah* i dispute that quote entirely! you ever seen the amount of young mothers from rathcoole when the weathers warm? :eek6:

*note: rathcoole is one of the many large estates in Northern Ireland and is predomantly protestant in nature and stature

Sar

Part of the furniture
ROFLMAO!

Aye, well I lived in Rathcoole for 10 years when I was born, and my sister lives there now, so I know well what you mean.

PS: Rathcoole is the largest housing estate in Europe. And therefore the highest number of millys and spides.

Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

;)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
throdgrain said:
Yeah I agree. Like most British people I never go to church, (im actually an atheist and so wouldnt anyway) however I wonder if this has something to do with the rise of the muslim religion.
In many reasonably civilised countries Christianity, at least in any organised form, is on its knees. Yet they claim Muslim to be the fastest growing religon around. Is that because they have a lot of babies I wonder ? Or are people "converting" from other religions?
I live near a mosque, and so often see people coming and going, but the British white muslims I see there could be counted on one hand. Interesting.
As far as the France thing, well they are purely seccular over there, so they do have a point I suppose. Over here we are Church Of England though, and so couldnt argue that kind of stuff I dont suppose.

Actually, church attendance in France is higher than in the UK (catholic mainly). The French are getting very nervous about the rise of Islam though; the problem they've got is that moslems are now 10% of the population (as against about 2.5% here), and, while the French don't help themselves (they're generally more racist than us - or at least more openly racist) its not the colour of their immigrants that's the biggest barrier to assilimilation, its their religion (the word 'racist' isn't quite right for the typical Frenchman; during empire days they intermixed far more than we did, like the Spanish; 'culturist' is a better description).

So, what do they do? If you're a French politician, the logical thing to do is intervene by going down the social engineering route (the French love this kind of thing - think French speaking song quotas on the radio); force moslems to mix with Euro-French at school in the hope they'll assimilate enough to leave 'serious' religion behind when they get older, and intermix with the 'native' French. In order to do that, they have to get rid of the Hajib, because its as much about getting French boys to talk to the moslem girls as it is the other way round, and the Hajib acts as a barrier to that (exactly as it was intended to).

Of course, if the French do nothing about the social depravation of emigre North Africans (anyone who's seen La Haine knows the kind of thing), then all this is just stupid posturing.

Trem

Seriously though, I agree in principal with what the French are trying to do. Sometimes it seems they have more balls than the British(petrol prices etc). If the people have a problem with something then they act or speak out, something our people need to do more.

edit:....instead of taking it up the arse off Mr Blair(sorry Throdlar)all the time.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Stearing back onto topic,

I think it's a good thing - all religious symbols should be removed.

G

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Big G said:
Stearing back onto topic,

I think it's a good thing - all religious symbols should be removed.

G

Ah! but where do you stop?

catholic crosses. Celtic crosses etc ?

Sar

Part of the furniture
But then we'd have no defence against the growing Vampire threat!

:rolleyes:

:D

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Crosses etc are hidden under clothing generally. Jewellery was certainly not allowed in the schools I went to.

If they don't like the rules they have an option,, go to the country(ies) where it is acceptable. Simple really.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Lazarus said:

Hello

Just to clarify, apparently the French proposition will also include (large?) crucifixes, Jewish kippahs (skullcaps) and other such items.

Kind Regards

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Agree Yuck.

Unfortunately, Britain has its own "cross" to bear (pardon the pun). Before we can sort out the Muslim/Moslem problem, we need to get our own house in order; Protestant / Catholic.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Lazarus said:

Yes, all religious symbols should be 'banned'.

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom