Has the peace process in NI really worked?

rynnor

Rockhound
There seem to be a growing number of disaffected people on the loyalist side who havent seen any real improvements in their lives from the peace process.

Is it doomed in the long term?

Are the flag protests a sign that things have moved too fast and havent carried the people along with them? I know its been called a democratic decision but I bet none of those who voted for it put it in their manifesto :p

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Nope, just scrotes blowing off steam.

rynnor

Rockhound
Nope, just scrotes blowing off steam.

The ones out fighting yes - thats true in any protest but it doesnt mean their feelings arent shared at large through chunks of the community.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Yes it's made a huge difference. I'm of an age where there was seemingly a bombing a week, together with a few a year in the UK. There were snipers shooting soldiers from across the border, and the province was run by organised crime masquerading as freedom fighters or militia.

Both sides as bad as the other.

A few riots now are far far better than the situation in my childhood.

However.

It is going to get worse, because hardcore protestant loyalists won't accept the democratic decisions made by what will soon become the catholic majority. I can foresee a future where Northern Ireland votes itself full independence, followed by a few years later voting itself back into the Republic. It's a long way off for sure, but it'll probably happen and as it does the loyalists will get more and more uppity, more and more violent and all of that will feed the fervour of the republicans and ironically speed up the change.

The peace process has bought Northern Ireland some respite for some time. It is probably downhill from here though.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Peeps need to grow up and realize fights between religions is so middle-ages.

That applies for everything.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
its just not just about religion, some of the people they show on the news seem to be under the impression they live in Birmingham rather than Belfast...

and you know you are getting desperate when BIRMINGHAM seems like a nicer place to live!

rynnor

Rockhound
Yes it's made a huge difference. I'm of an age where there was seemingly a bombing a week, together with a few a year in the UK. There were snipers shooting soldiers from across the border, and the province was run by organised crime masquerading as freedom fighters or militia.

Its never completely gone away - splinter groups of both nationalists and loyalists have continued shootings/knee cappings/ the odd bomb etc. even during the 'peace' - will democracy properly protect the minority loyalist communities?

Chilly

Balls of steel
A generation of people growing up with minimal violence will not accept it coming back. People of my age (late twenties) can just about remember the bad old days and are now starting to take positions of power, increasingly so over the next decade. They will not tolerate it.

rynnor

Rockhound
A generation of people growing up with minimal violence will not accept it coming back. People of my age (late twenties) can just about remember the bad old days and are now starting to take positions of power, increasingly so over the next decade. They will not tolerate it.

The kids in belfast are still indoctrinated into the struggle mentality - the low level stuff like chucking bricks over the wall at the catholics/loyalists still goes on on a dailly basis - you just dont get the professional stuff.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Bah, it's all so shit. The more I see it, the more I think human tribalism should just be embraced. Integration does work, it just takes fucking ages and causes a whole lot of pain in the process to all concerned.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Kill all of one side and the problem would be solved.

Actually it probably wouldn't we/they would just find something else to hate.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I wonder how many of the lads rioting have been to church in the past year.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
DaGaffer said:
I kind of feel sorry for them. They're determ

Fucking phone. As I was saying, I kind of feel sorry for them. They're determined to be British but the British don't really want them ( and the dirty little secret is...neither do the Irish)

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I know it's never completely gone away, but it has been a damn site better, hence Chilly's post, who's sentiment I would like to agree with, but.

Most of us on here are reasonably well educated, certainly fairly responsible thinking individuals. In NI, same as anywhere else in the UK, there is an underclass of cunts who will continue the violence. See the riots in British cities recently. They had nothing to do with a Gangsta getting shot and everything to do with a violent chav opportunistic underclass.

It won't take many to reignite the serious violence. No more than a few hundred hardcore. Whilst a generation may not be willing to tolerate it, a small minority could certainly facilitate it.

Don't forget, in the parliament it will be proceeding democratically, all above board and straightforward. There will be a steady move towards independence from the UK. The hardcore violent loyalists, of which there are certainly enough, will see themselves as the freedom fighters that the IRA did in the past. They will see their fight as a guerrilla war to protect their Northern Ireland. It's sad.

rynnor

Rockhound
Don't forget, in the parliament it will be proceeding democratically, all above board and straightforward. There will be a steady move towards independence from the UK. The hardcore violent loyalists, of which there are certainly enough, will see themselves as the freedom fighters that the IRA did in the past. They will see their fight as a guerrilla war to protect their Northern Ireland. It's sad.

There are big issues with independance though - the UK state provides a lot of jobs into what is basically a depressed area - if they pulled out those jobs the place would likely collapse.

rynnor

Rockhound
The problems in Ireland have nothing to do with religion now and have not for a long time

Its largely tribal but sadly religion does play a part - seperating kids to be educated at a catholic school is not good for integration for example.

throdgrain

FH is my second home

Hope that's true. Doubt it though.

I can remember them blowing up Mountbatten for god sake. They surely must have come a long way since then, it's easy to hope :(

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The most ridiculous aspect of the this whole current protest is that the number of days the Union flag flies over public buildings in England and Wales is...17, the same as has been approved for NI. And its not like they're ripping the flag down and sticking up a Tricolour in its place.

Of course if it hadn't been this it would have been something else equally trivial and ridiculous. The Loyalists were eventually going to kick off no matter what.

rynnor

Rockhound
Of course if it hadn't been this it would have been something else equally trivial and ridiculous. The Loyalists were eventually going to kick off no matter what.

If you are a minority in your own country then these things wouldnt 'feel' trivial I expect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom