Harold and Kumar - Escape from Guantanamo Bay for real...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
"CAIR said the passengers who were detained were refused re-booking by the airline despite being cleared by federal authorities.

They were assisted by the FBI in arranging flights on another airline hours later. Some of them felt they were the victims of profiling."

No sh*t.

That's just ...well...i'd say i'm shocked if it wasn't the US :eek7:

Absolutely ridiculous how you can basically f*ck up someones whole day, or worse, by saying "he might be a terrorist".

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
What's the big fuss toht? The FBI helped them out man...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The "big fuss" is that it's even possible for this to happen :(

"He's a terrorist!" is enough to warrent delays, inconvinience etc.

Bad world :twak:

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Absolutely ridiculous how you can basically f*ck up someones whole day, or worse, by saying "he might be a terrorist".

Yet had they ignored it and then they had actually turned out to be terrorists, there would of been an even bigger outrage that potential intelligence had been ignored. Much like after 9/11 (although how much of that intelligence actually existed is one for the conspiracy theorists).

At the end of the day you can say sorry, we were wrong to the people involved and send them on their way with a few hours lost. The other way round, you well .... can't. I've lost hours because of a fuckup in an airport as well, these things simply happen.

You can't identify every threat that's ever going to occur so you try and narrow it down. The media like to call it profiling, but since I don't see them coming up with any realistic alternatives to stop planes falling out of the sky then well, tough sh*t.

The problem as far as I see it is that everyone bitches like hell when they are inconvenienced, then bitches like hell when something bad happens and it wasn't stopped. Lose/Lose situation really.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Yet had they ignored it and then they had actually turned out to be terrorists, there would of been an even bigger outrage that potential intelligence had been ignored. Much like after 9/11 (although how much of that intelligence actually existed is one for the conspiracy theorists).

At the end of the day you can say sorry, we were wrong to the people involved and send them on their way with a few hours lost. The other way round, you well .... can't. I've lost hours because of a fuckup in an airport as well, these things simply happen.

You can't identify every threat that's ever going to occur so you try and narrow it down. The media like to call it profiling, but since I don't see them coming up with any realistic alternatives to stop planes falling out of the sky then well, tough sh*t.

The problem as far as I see it is that everyone bitches like hell when they are inconvenienced, then bitches like hell when something bad happens and it wasn't stopped. Lose/Lose situation really.
Well there is different ways to handle it. Take it on the plane, if the had been terrorists people would have died when the feds stepped on the plane.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Americans still remember 911 all it takes is one person with a over active imagination hearing x but thinking y reporting they heard y and the police have to act.

It tells a bad tale about american people and racial profiling but like Golena said the authorities had to act if they had not and something happened the shit storm would be much worse than this.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The problem is that airport security can't take out threats at the gate.

That's why we wait to board the planes etc, have t eat our 2 buck airmeals with plastic forks(no knives!) and can't take a toothpick on the plane. Isn't it?

About "profiling", or whatever you want to call "those people are dangerous", yes it is just that. Can you imagine a group of 9 US whiteytideys being taken off the plane because a middle-eastern guy says "they look iffy"?

I didn't say "they should've let potential terrorist fly to the bahamas", i said it's stupid how some guy can ruin someone elses day by "mishearing".

soze

I am a FH squatter
Actually there are plenty of stories or average Joe being denied flight because of something they said. I think the the UK if you even make a joke about the plane catching fire the pilot can deny you flights and ban you from that companies flights. Average Joe getting booted does not make stories like Muslims ejected though, but plenty of times on Airport they show people getting kicked.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Actually there are plenty of stories or average Joe being denied flight because of something they said. I think the the UK if you even make a joke about the plane catching fire the pilot can deny you flights and ban you from that companies flights. Average Joe getting booted does not make stories like Muslims ejected though, but plenty of times on Airport they show people getting kicked.

Well not really the point but...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's not the fact "white people can get kicked off", it's the FACT that muslims will for a long time be more easily kicked off.

Anyone but white people will be more easily a suspect.

Everyone knows this.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
old.tohtori said:
Can you imagine a group of 9 US whiteytideys being taken off the plane because a middle-eastern guy says "they look iffy"?

Thot, Book yourself a visit to Jeddah and see how you get treated by Saudi Customs/Passport Officers. Not seen people removed from planes but seen plenty stopped from getting on them to leave. No reason at all, just fucking with you because they can.

The fact that profilling is based on race, religion, routes travelled and frequency of trips. Many British Pakistani's are having trouble because they fit most of the criteria with visits back home. It's unfortunate and they should have interview notes added to stop it happening time and time again.

They can keep adding to the Criteria but in the end some completely innocent people are always going to get caught by it. I was several times on a recent US visit. It was due to a member of our party being Israeili. Five of us all white travelling on company business internally within US were stopped at every point with a bag/body seach. Bloody frustrating after the third search.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Thot, Book yourself a visit to Jeddah and see how you get treated by Saudi Customs/Passport Officers. Not seen people removed from planes but seen plenty stopped from getting on them to leave. No reason at all, just fucking with you because they can.

The fact that profilling is based on race, religion, routes travelled and frequency of trips. Many British Pakistani's are having trouble because they fit most of the criteria with visits back home. It's unfortunate and they should have interview notes added to stop it happening time and time again.

They can keep adding to the Criteria but in the end some completely innocent people are always going to get caught by it. I was several times on a recent US visit. It was due to a member of our party being Israeili. Five of us all white travelling on company business internally within US were stopped at every point with a bag/body seach. Bloody frustrating after the third search.

Have to just say that i know it goes on in reverse i other countries, but seeing as this was about US peeps, kept it there.

Profiling in itself, in my opinion, is bullsh*t.

Especially if people are inconvinienced by non-professionals.

If a customs agent thinks someone looks iffy, ok, fine, check it. But if some bloke decides some other bloke MIGHT be a terrorist or says something that MIGHT be interpreted in a million ways...f*ck 'em.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
nothign wrong with a bit of racial profiling.

if i see a group of somalian's coming down the road at me, i assume im gonna get shanked

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
nothign wrong with a bit of racial profiling.

if i see a group of somalian's coming down the road at me, i assume im gonna get shanked

As do most, yet, i don't ofcourse have to like it.

Doesn't make one a bad person, actually quite normal :p

I guess thsi sort of thing won't go away until we're all mixed enough into a one race, at which point, it will be about money. And after that, haircolor i guess.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
It's not the fact "white people can get kicked off", it's the FACT that muslims will for a long time be more easily kicked off.

Anyone but white people will be more easily a suspect.

Everyone knows this.

While your probably right I think we've actually got to be very careful about statements like this.
What you have to take into consideration is that white bloke gets kicked off a plane for a random remark makes page 28 of the sun in a 50 word story on a side column. Muslim gets kicked off a plane for making a random remark is plastered across the front page with colour photos.

Someone got kicked off the plane I was traveling to Spain on in December for having a smoke between the terminal and the plane while walking outside. Funny how that didn't seem to be widly reported however...

Olgaline

FH is my second home
yes but he did something he wasnt allowed to do.
if you smoke on a plane, you will get arrested, if smoke in the terminal you will be denied acsses to a plane,
But I strongly dout, a white bloke, or black guy or asian, would get kicked off a plane for discussing the safest seating.
hell I've done that, and I've bloody well never been kicked off any plane..

I do however agree with media hype, but tbh this particular case IS news worthy, especially due to the fact that
they were cleared, and still were denied, souly due to their herritage.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
also I have to admit, I really dont like the headline
"9 muslims thrown off a plane"
I strongly dout, that their religiouse belief was the key factor here in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom