Hard Drive Testing Tools

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
After some testing tools to determine the integrity / likely hood of failure of a HD specifically a SATA HD that is in a RAID array (RAID 0).

I know one of the drives is dying a slow death had 2 seperate instances of errors on CHKDSK, and on Saturday one of them made a very large banging sound. I am going to buy 2 new hard drives (160Gb Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 in case yo're wondering) as I dont want any downtime waiting for the replacements but i need to determine which one of the damn things is dying so i know not to use it.

So anyone know any software to detect which drive in a raid array is dying? Or am going to have to keep working them till it dies then see after the event :mad:

PS. Not a clue what make they currently are, think Maxtors... only had them 3 months as well :/

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
odds are your vendor will have a low level tool to look directly at disks and read out their error reporting thingys. find out what kind of drives you have, then browse your vendor's site's support pages.

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
Thanks TdC, should of thought of that one really. Guess will have to check there manufacturer when i get home this weekend and pray they have a tool on their website...

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
nice one, Custodian. that's really handy :) pity the drivers and utilities thread is dead :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom