Hard drive problems

T

tainted

I have posted this elsewhere, but I thought I'd try here also. Ive been having a lot of trouble with me comp since the weekend, it started on sunday after playing some games for a while, the screen froze up and I could hear the hard drive whirring and clicking over, like it couldnt access any data.
It then gave a blue screen with a message saying 'could not write to c: drive' or something along those lines, and when I rebooted it didnt seem to be able to load to windows at all.

I left it alone for a while, and came back and turned it on. It seemed to be operating normally, but again after a few hours the hard drive seemed to stop suddenly and click over trying to access the data.

I decided to format the comp and after reinstalling my programs, and it all seemed to be fine for over a day. But just now when my dad was sending some emails, the hard drive suddenly stopped responding and made the same whirring and clicking noises. Tried rebooting but again it couldnt load to windows.

I unplugged it and checked the connections inside. Didnt really seem to be anything loose between the hd or the mother board, and when I hooked it back up it seemed to be work fine, but I have my doubts as to how long it will behave..

So would anyone have an idea of what may cause such problems? I'm thinking if the hard drive was completely stuffed, it wouldnt randomly work normally would it?

or maybe it had become over heated? Each time this happened it had been turned on for quite a while, 10 hours or more.

thanks all, I really appreciate any ideas you may have

J

Jonty

Hi tainted

The fact that you've formatted the drive and yet are still having problems would tend to suggest that the hardware itself may be at fault. Although the problem seems to occur after different intervals, there could still be only one fault present, that fault merely being triggered at a different time due to, say, the load placed on the system.

Since it seems unlikely anything on the software side is at fault, I'd just wait and see whether reattaching the cables does the trick. If the fault still occurs, then, if still under warranty, contact the manufacturer or the retailer from which you bought your hard-drive or computer and see if they will replace the drive. If not, then I can only suggest purchasing a new hard-drive, which thankfully aren't too dear nowadays (unless you go beyond the cheap and cheerful solutions on offer :)).

Sorry I can't be of more help

T

tainted

Figured as much =(

I checked the cables were well plugged in but didnt actually pull them out and push em back in.
Someone was telling me before about something called a 'dry conection', anyone know what those are?
Im not much of a techy guy but I do have a general knowledge of these things.

S

(Shovel)

Critically, make a full back up right now. If it's going to die, you want your documents nice and safe.

I don't know much about hard drive failure to be honest, since it's never happened (yet... crosses fingers), but if it only happens after extended use it could be heat related? The only way I can think to test is to touch... which isn't really ideal... but if it's "ow hot" then maybe a case fan over the drive, or one of the Zalman et al hard drive cooling enclosures might do it. That may not be enough to save this drive, but it could avert a repeat performance with the next one.

T

tainted

yeah I will have to try that. I have no important data on there since my format on monday so theres nothing to worry about in that respect.
I just want it to work properly !

goin to bed now, will decide on what to do tomorrow i spose

E

Embattle

Just out of interest what make/model is the drive?

Users who are viewing this thread