Hard Drive problem?

R

Recoil101

Hard drive malfunction?

ok heres the thing....

This morning I had a hard drive crash in my PC (constant clicking, wont boot from it) so I went out and bought a new one... reinstalled win2k and some other software. I am no where near what I had on here before, there arent as many background programs running or programs installed. And the drive is very empty.

The problem is now the PC is really slow. I get mouse "lag", winamp wont play thru songs without slowing down and occasionally stopping altogether.

Could this be a hard drive issue? it never did anything like this before with the IBM drive in.

I havent changed the processor or the memory and everything else is as before, the only thing changed is the hard drive.

Both drives are in effect identical, the one that died was an IBM Deskstar 40gig 7.2krpm and the new one is a Maxtor 40 gig 7.2krpm

W

Will

Have you installed all your drivers, including your motherboard drivers?

R

Recoil101

well.....

I have istalled the Via Miniport driver thingy and it appears to have solved it :)

wierd

now to test NTLs 1gig a day restirctiona and try and re-download those 1000 Mp3s i had :D

S

(Shovel)

You could install the old drive as a Slave to the system and try and transfer the files from it - just on the offchance that it decides to function? It has been known to happen...

S

smurkin

better still...if you can get the old drive to work at all....use Norton Ghost to clone the old drive...operating system and all, onto the new drive....works a treat..assuming that the fault is intermittant (I have the intermittant clicking thing with my deathstars...).

Users who are viewing this thread