Hard Drive Failure

Drusus

Fledgling Freddie
On Sunday my Hard Drive Boot Sector became corrupt/failed/blew-up etc...
A mate tried to sort it but couldn't, so is currently installing a new HD.
The old Drive had some data on it i hadn't backed-up.
I've heard there are ways of getting the data off a knackered HD...who can do it and how much does it cost please :)

confused

Can't get enough of FH
There are some companys that do do data recovery, unfortuneately they're typically very expencive to do and unless you're very despirate its probably not worth doing

Drusus

Fledgling Freddie
Just wondering the general prices, as had a few baby photos =/

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Never tried it myself, but I can tell you there are various programs that can do it out there, a chap at my old workplace used to do it on a regular basis. Im guessing it was NTFS which makes stuff tricker though probably easy with the right software, if you had a FAT32 file system it would be childs play.

Have you tried a windows repair install on the drive? Probably wont work, but worth a shot as it could save time if it works.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Drusus said:
Just wondering the general prices, as had a few baby photos =/

hmm guess your file system type (im guesing NTFS)

google something like "NTFS recovery freeware" and try and find something that doesnt look too much like a virus ;)

Drusus

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks Boni, just Googled through, gotta find out which of the 3 types of failures i've had, then go from there.
Mate who has drive atm, put it as a secondary HD in his test machine, and it just locked it up, so not looking good =(

Gahn

Resident Freddy
What was the problem? Boot Sector? If Drive ain't completely fucked u can put it as slave and try and read data from it.
Anyway tis afaik best 1:

http://www.datarecoverygroup.com/

There's also an English one but can't recall atm.

Mind ya they are fucking expensive and no warranty of success.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Aye, first try adding the apparently-dead HDD back as a slave drive and browsing it from your new HDD's Windows install.

If that doesn't work....much as I am loathe to recommend PC World for anything at all, ever, thay have just introduced a data-recovery service and can do a HDD for £100; you're generally looking at way more than that for data retrieval from a dead HDD, so may be worth investigating.

Drusus

Fledgling Freddie
LoL you sound like most of my friends with PC World, but £100, if he doesn't sort it, sounds great, Thanks !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom