Games Happy Birthday DAoC.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
Happy Birthday DAoC.
http://darkageofcamelot.com/article/happy-11th-birthday-dark-age-camelot

DAoC_Logo.png

Happy 11th birthday, Dark Age of Camelot!
Posted by Tim Chappell | 2012 Oct 11 14:58 -0400 GMT

We are pleased to announce two new race/class pairings for each realm!

In Albion:
  • Inconnu may now be Minstrels
  • Half Ogres may now be Maulers
In Midgard:
  • Kobolds may now be Berserkers
  • Trolls may now be Maulers
In Hibernia:
  • Lurikeens may now be Blademasters
  • Firbolgs may now be Maulers
We hope you enjoy these new options and we thank you sincerely for 11 wonderful years!

We'll see you in the Frontiers!

Dvaerg

Part of the furniture
Dwarf is still the master berserker everyone knows that.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Lurikeen bm's ho ho ho, they'd make pretty sick piercemasters tbh, still no F2P tho so no thanks.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Is that it?

If they'd employ some proper people, people who actually play the game, and have been doing so for the past 11 years, they'd might be able to implement some proper stuff and bring back people.

Me being able to create an inconnu minstrel doesn't get my panties wet and throw my money at them again. It's like they are trying to keep people away..

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Never ever going to be viable.

Mordred transfer inc and they said during the stream that this was just a start.
Well, it's EA now, so I would really hope they'd open their accountants pages and see that it would be a good option..

Look at LOTRO, that was deemed dead when it became F2P, now they're bringing out expansion packs! Yes, Expansion packs, what they used to be called, before DLC ruined it.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Never ever going to be viable.

Mordred transfer inc and they said during the stream that this was just a start.

Its been proven to work, there is simply no way it wouldnt work, the more likely scenario is that they dont have the staff requierd to take it into F2P and EA are not giving them funding to employ more.

Gwadien

Its been proven to work, there is simply no way it wouldnt work, the more likely scenario is that they dont have the staff requierd to take it into F2P and EA are not giving them funding to employ more.
I'll work for them, I WAS A PRO GM CALLED XELA ON FREESHARSD EVERZ KNOWS THIS. Oh, and Deebs, you proud I've used your new rating?

Everz

FH is my second home
Well, it's EA now, so I would really hope they'd open their accountants pages and see that it would be a good option..

Look at LOTRO, that was deemed dead when it became F2P, now they're bringing out expansion packs! Yes, Expansion packs, what they used to be called, before DLC ruined it.

LOTR had 150k subs when it went F2P, DAoC has around the 30k mark.

It will never work so let it go, the F2P market would never work in a game like DAoC.

Everz

FH is my second home

Really? The market has a really low demand for a game like DAoC. It is outdated in both UI and graphics whilst it's sub numbers are eons below what LoTR were when it switched over.

The F2P model is never going to be profitable unless you have around 250k subs.. which was what DAoC had in it's prime.

Gwadien

Really? The market has a really low demand for a game like DAoC. It is outdated in both UI and graphics whilst it's sub numbers are eons below what LoTR were when it switched over.

The F2P model is never going to be profitable unless you have around 250k subs.. which was what DAoC had in it's prime.
It's a long term game, lots left and joined during the years, so you can't really have a 'peak' subs though, a lot of old and newer players would return.

Syri

FH is my second home

Just to add to this, for F2P to be profitable, you don't just need numbers, you also need something to sell to the players, seeing as they aren't paying to access the game any more. In a game like LotRO, which already had a lot of "fluff" aspects, and a big focus on pve, there was a lot they could charge for, so that people could get a leg up in their levelling, access more side stories, buy fancy alternative looks for armour...
DAoC simply has very little you could actually charge for. The main focus is PvP, so having a charge for anything that would impact that would seriously undermine the game itself. The PvE side has been made so trivial that nobody would be likely to pay for any levelling aids, especially as they could have at least one extra account to either buff or pl themselves at no extra cost. The only thing you could really charge for would be character visuals, and the engine and existing models limit that greatly. Converting it to F2P, and still being able to make money from it, would involve having to seriously invest in upgrading the visuals and the PvE side to be able to add anything to make money from.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
It's a long term game, lots left and joined during the years, so you can't really have a 'peak' subs though, a lot of old and newer players would return.

And they would leave just as fast again. If EA handed the game over to a company that actually had a fucking clue then maybe, just maybe...

But Mythic won't let that happen.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Just to add to this, for F2P to be profitable, you don't just need numbers, you also need something to sell to the players, seeing as they aren't paying to access the game any more. In a game like LotRO, which already had a lot of "fluff" aspects, and a big focus on pve, there was a lot they could charge for, so that people could get a leg up in their levelling, access more side stories, buy fancy alternative looks for armour...
DAoC simply has very little you could actually charge for. The main focus is PvP, so having a charge for anything that would impact that would seriously undermine the game itself. The PvE side has been made so trivial that nobody would be likely to pay for any levelling aids, especially as they could have at least one extra account to either buff or pl themselves at no extra cost. The only thing you could really charge for would be character visuals, and the engine and existing models limit that greatly. Converting it to F2P, and still being able to make money from it, would involve having to seriously invest in upgrading the visuals and the PvE side to be able to add anything to make money from.

Theres plenty DAOC could charge for, the engine might be old but there is still plenty they could make from scratch that would interest players.. just look at some of the creative/reasonable shit freeshards came up with, no reason mythic couldnt do the same, its more a case of staffing as said :p EA won't give mythic the punt money to sink into it and mythic just keep coming out with the age old excuse "Oh, we have enough subs to get by" just because you have enough subs to "Get by" doesnt make it a good business.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Theres plenty DAOC could charge for, the engine might be old but there is still plenty they could make from scratch that would interest players.. just look at some of the creative/reasonable shit freeshards came up with, no reason mythic couldnt do the same, its more a case of staffing as said :p EA won't give mythic the punt money to sink into it and mythic just keep coming out with the age old excuse "Oh, we have enough subs to get by" just because you have enough subs to "Get by" doesnt make it a good business.

Doesn't mean it would work in a F2P environment. F2P doesn't guarantee a success, just look at CoX. I was dead sure that game was doing great, but apparently it didn't. Besides DAoC isn't much without it's RvR, so why if it turned F2P should people play that instead of GW2 that is a much MUCH better game overall?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Explain what makes guild wars 2 better in detail :) this should be good for a laugh.

Everz

FH is my second home
GW2 is pants in comparision to DAoC in terms of PvP (WvW and RvR respectively), however the PvE side is pretty awesome.

That said DAoC PvE isn't to bad these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom