Gwadien hasn't got a brain thread

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
What does perpetuity of tenure mean? - If it helps, I'm doing Irish politics around 1870.

Cheers!

I googled it, but it didn't help much!

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
1) Didn't need a thread for this
2) Do you know what those words mean in isolation? Gives a pretty big clue, unless there's some weird political use.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
If it isnt on google, it doesnt exist

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Luckily though, somebody has probably learned it in the past. Education 1 - 0 brainless plagiarism.

Gwadien

1) Didn't need a thread for this
2) Do you know what those words mean in isolation? Gives a pretty big clue, unless there's some weird political use.
1) If I didn't thread, and it was in random spam, people wouldn't see it, and therefore I wouldn't of got help.
2) and no, as there is 4/5 different uses of perpetuity, wanted to make sure I got the right one.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
I'd guess from context clues that it means "for as long as you are a tenant"?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
1) If I didn't thread, and it was in random spam, people wouldn't see it, and therefore I wouldn't of got help.

It was a joke based on thread title. So the thread title is at least accurate :p

Gwadien

It was a joke based on thread title. So the thread title is at least accurate :p
/facepalm

On another note - Just going through some PDF files of potato production rates in 1870 for Britain, - some old journals and such converted in PDF, get to the right page, and the page is fucking worn out so there's nothing on the frigging page.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What does perpetuity of tenure mean? - If it helps.....

What helps is exact context. Give us the sentence or paragraph that you're struggling with.

On the face of it, it sounds like it means how long you hold a position. The perpetuity of tenure of a president is how long a single term would be.

Gwadien

The 1870 Land Act had failed because there was no guaranteed perpetuity of tenure.

So, basically, I assume because there was no actual time set between the land lord and the tenant for how long the tenants would stay on the land for.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Speaking of "Those who have set up perpetuity of tenure for the Irish occupier as their favourite scheme," Mr. Gladstone disclaimed anything— dishonourable, anything that intends any injury to another's on their part, because we have not a doubt that they have seen that inasmuch as perpetuity of tenure on the part of the occupier is virtually expropriation of the landlord, and as a mere readjustment of rent according to the price of produce can by no means dispose of all contingencies the future may produce in his favour, compensation would have to be paid to the landlord for the rights of which he would be deprived… But suppose for a moment that we put the financial difficulty out of view, what would be the effect of perpetuity of tenure upon the tenant? As I understand it, the scheme itself amounts to this—that each and every occupier, as long as he pays the rent that he is now paying or else some rent to be fixed by a public tribunal charged with the duty of valuation, is to be secured for himself and his heirs in the occupation of the land that he holds, without limit of time.

Job

We pay other people to do work we cannot do ourselves, but human culture has seizure, due to centuries of iindoctrination, against doing that with knowledge.
That was very important in the past, but now we are heading towards not needing to know ourselves,
so we 'PAY' a great bigz computa to do it for us.
This is the future wether you like it or not.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The 1870 Land Act had failed because there was no guaranteed perpetuity of tenure.

So, basically, I assume because there was no actual time set between the land lord and the tenant for how long the tenants would stay on the land for.

Advocates of tenants' rights wanted a guarantee that tenants couldn't be kicked off land they farmed at the whim of their landlord (e.g. so long as they paid the rent and actually farmed the land, they could stay - I also think there was something about this being extended to their heirs as well), which is what had traditionally happened to Irish tenant farmers. The Tories objected to this because they said it effectively denied landlords rights to their own land, but it still passed into law with the caveat that if a tenant was evicted, they were to be compensated for a. the "disturbance", and b. anything they had done to improve the land. Unfortunately, it didn't stop landlords putting rents up to unsustainable levels, because the one thing tenants could be evicted for, was rent arrears.

DaGaffer

It means the British were greedy bastagers basically

Thus reinforcing cultural stereotypes. Irish landlords were at least as bad. Look at the history of the Dublin tenemants for examples; they may have learned at the knee of the English, but Irish property owners have long been enthusiastic abusers of their own countrymen (some would argue to the present day).

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Happens in almost all countries that are occupied by a foreign power, just opportunists with either a bad family reputation or nothing to lose making the most of the power shift.

Job

A landowner catches a vagabond on his land and orders him off.
The man says 'whys it your land'
'Because my father gave it to me' he replies
'Well where did he get it from?'
'From his father and he got it from his father who in turn got it from his father'
'How did he get it' replied the vagabond'
'He fought for it' the landowner proudly replied'
The vagabond raised his fists 'Ill fight you for it then'

DaGaffer

Happens in almost all countries that are occupied by a foreign power, just opportunists with either a bad family reputation or nothing to lose making the most of the power shift.

Riiight, or, like Alderman Joseph Meade, twice Lord Mayor of Dublin. Who happened to also be the worst and most unscrupulous slum landlord in Irish history, and an Irish pillar of the community, for whom "grown men wept in the street when they heard he had died", when he'd been happily stacking hundreds to a house all across the inner city for decades. Its too glib, and frankly untrue, to dump all of the bad in Irish history on the English (even indirectly like you're trying there),when the last 80 years have shown you're perfectly capable of being right cunts towards each other with no English help at all.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
I was merely pointing out that it was extremely arrogant to think that the British could rule Ireland so long as the sun rose over Great Britain and yet people who were born/died there for generations were giving a limited tenancy ? The "They were only a bunch of backstabbing cunts anyway" line doesn't really work on that one sorry.

Im not bitter i just find the logic funny is all.

DaGaffer

I was merely pointing out that it was extremely arrogant to think that the British could rule Ireland so long as the sun rose over Great Britain and yet people who were born/died there for generations were giving a limited tenancy ? The "They were only a bunch of backstabbing cunts anyway" line doesn't really work on that one sorry.

Im not bitter i just find the logic funny is all.

Almost all Irish landlords were also people who were born/died there for generations, they just happened to call themselves British. Look at this way, when English slave owners became American slave owners in 1776, did they stop keeping slaves? No, because rich exploiters don't care who they're exploiting or what it says on their passport.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
The can only exploit if a higher power encourages/facilitates it though aka The Crown, nowadays it is corporations and the EU they just do it differently.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I agree with both of these last two posts :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom