Guitar Playing

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Uh, unless I'm somehow unable to identify the time-signature change, he intersperses that with bits where he just "plays as fast as he can", screwing up the beat, which sucks somewhat. It would've been a much nicer tune if he'd kept that beat going steadily.

EvilMonkeh

Fledgling Freddie
thats pretty cool
normally that slap style of playing is used with bass guitars, and the fast interludes are good:)
i r not that good yet :D

Will

/bin/su
I've not got a soundcard here, so I've not bothered clicking the link.

But...does anyone have an acoustic guitar they want to send to a good home, i.e. me? Any cheap offers considered. :)

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
The guy combines like 3 or 4 different styles which is "cool", but it fails as a tune simply because he can't keep a beat. Even the "bridge" or whatever it is is at a different speed to the main, uh, verse, or whatever. It bothers me because it has the elements of a very cool tune but ends up just being a technical demo.

Edit - uh, why'd I repost almost exactly the same thing? I'd delete this but I figure people've already read it, so feh.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Impressive, but is it supposed to have some sort of tune?

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
I always seem to incur the wrath of this board whenever I post anything :( Maybe I shouldn't say anything but I'll leap to the defense of the guitar player here.

He keeps the beat going all the way through, keeps almost perfect time if you follow it well enough but in the bridge sections he plays what seem like triplets in double time time (sixths? maybe more) but comes out on the beat at the same speed he entered and keeping the same tune going.

A little jazzy but very impressive, though much of it very unnecessary and could've made it (definitely should've made it) more melodic instead of so technical.

The timing is fine though considering the speed of some of the parts and the fact he wasn't playing along to a metronome as far as I can see.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
I just tried tapping along to the bits which were confusing me (first bit between 14 and 16 seconds) and yeah, it does seem to start and end on the beat, but for the life of me I still can't "figure out" how the time signature change works. It seems to be gaining and losing halfbeats all over or something. I don't have much technical training other than a smattering of basic drum lessons, but usually this stuff is pretty intuitive. The bit between 37 and 50 seconds messes with my mind similarly.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Wow, that's incredible (although a whole album of slap on acoustic may not press everyones buttons).

That makes me think of very early John Martyn where he used a mixture of that slap technique on acoustic with his echoplex ("I'd Rather Be The Devil" being an example).

Very jazzy, quite funky, tempo change bits keep you hooked and make you think "how does that fit?!". Anyone who moans about tempo and time i ask you this: since when did changing tempo/time sig matter a fuck in Jazz? ;)

G

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
And since when did tempo change necessarily make for a good tune? That's the point. It's not about "mattering", it's about how it sounds, and to me at least it sounded totally awkward and unintuitive.

Recoil

Fledgling Freddie
hmmm, whilst he is definitley skilled. not really something I am in awe of even tho I am a struggling learner on the guitar, but then I saw the Guitarist of the year video the other day and to be honest I thought he sucked :( different strokes and all that I guess

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Louster said:
And since when did tempo change necessarily make for a good tune? That's the point. It's not about "mattering", it's about how it sounds, and to me at least it sounded totally awkward and unintuitive.

Being more a bassist than guitarist, I was really impressed by the bass technique on the acoustic - it was a really good, acid jazz tune.

G

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Amazing. Wish i could play something like that.

Tsjiep

Loyal Freddie
Me likes. I think the songs is good overall, exept for them parts where he just starts to bash away on those strings. Kinda fucks up the beat (pardon my french)

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
I can't even whistle well so I'm impressed.
On a similar subject I always liked the guitar duel from the film "Crossroads", featuring Ry Cooder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom