GT4P Confirmed for Europe !!

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
The Pennzoil would do nicely in the wet because of it's FR drivetrain, much the same as why the AE86 will do so well in the wet. The other reason the AE86 is good in the wet is because of it's very light weight. However, even a Pennzoil on that track will be easier to achieve a better time on, simply because mistakes in the Pennzoil cost you less because of it's insane acceleration. On R5 Wet the AE86 needs you to drive it near perfectly around the corners and to maintain steady acceleration out of every corner without wheelspin, this is very hard to do fast for most people because it's so delicate. If you come out of the corner and need to accelerate in the car you are penalised greatly because of it's slow acceleration, especially if it's going slightly uphill it's power seems even less and it costs you far more time. The Pennzoil doesn't have this problem because it's power will pull it out of any corner and along any straight very nicely, regardless of the gradient...

In order to achieve fast times in slower cars you need to be very consistent in your driving and achieve good exit speeds on every corner, slower cars reward better cornering more.. the corners is where they will have the advantage over heavier faster cars... however if you don't exit that corner spot on you will lose so much time building up speed on the straight. A heavier faster car such as the Pennzoil can exit the corner pretty averagely and still accelerate as fast as you like down the straight, this helps it achieve faster times. I personally find it far easier to achieve a fast time in a fast car like the Pennzoil compared to a slower car and I believe most people will too.

As for handling a 1000HP Viper around a track for a decent time, that's fairly easy providing you can control the car due to it's pathetic handling. It wouldn't be that hard to achieve a good time in it on most tracks providing you kept it neat as it will cover up a lot of mistakes with insane acceleration.

Oh and the relative difficulty of Concept does matter because I was rating getting gold on the Licenses mentioned above in GT3 as 'good times' and if you assume Concept Gold times are 'good times' you're mistaken because they are slow and very easy to achieve.. that's what I meant :)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Skyler said:
The Pennzoil would do nicely in the wet because of it's FR drivetrain, much the same as why the AE86 will do so well in the wet. The other reason the AE86 is good in the wet is because of it's very light weight.

I didn't read the rest of your post because you opening statement is so so wrong.

a) the heavier the car, the more grip it has in the wet. Simple physics, as the weight can apply more pressure to the tyres, opening up more grooves, removing more water from the road.

b) FR is far from the ideal combination you really want in the wet, as most of the performance gets lost as a result of spinning rear tyres. MR (with a bit more weight over the driven wheels) or 4wd do much better.

c) The AE86 is good in the wet as it isn't really powerful enough to spin except in 2nd gear corners. The Pennzoil will spin out of every corner if you mash the accelerator too hard and arent quick on the opposite lock.

Oh, and your 1000bhp Viper may have pathetic handling, mine's doing pretty well thanks very much. I've got it turning into corners now and a mis corner mash of the throttle will push the tail out and slingshot you out of any corner you like. Guess you don't know as much about GT as you think, if you can't even get a Viper to go round corners...........

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
I used to kick some with the concept Viper in the original GT. :)

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
Weight may well provide more grip on wet roads but it also increases the distance required to brake, which is especially noticable on slippery roads as the car will carry more momentum if sliding. The AE86 can be feathered around nicely in the wet due to it's light weight, however as I have said in previous threads it's lack of overall power means that taking corners well is more important. Of course 4WD is superior in the wet, MR may well be too in some cases, but I was talking about FR. FF is quite simply dire in the wet, and if used correctly FR can become practically as good as 4WD. Any car can spin very easily in the wet with poor control, the AE86 is no exception, if anything it's easier to spin because it has a severe lack of downforce. Stable acceleration is necessary for any FR car in the wet and failing to do so will result in wheelspin, that's pretty simple to avoid.

I don't use a 1000HP Viper and have no wish to do so. The Viper is a heavy car with harsh handling. I can drive the Viper fine and achieve great laptimes with it but I don't enjoy driving it, too much care must be taken in the corners to keep it behaving correctly.

I am more of a driver than anything else.. I drive with feeling and react to the car.. That gives me the ability to drive all cars to a good standard. I have raced among the best GT3 racers in the world and my times are not far off theirs... and I'm very happy with that because their times are positively perfect. I don't expect you've done anything like that, infact I suspect you're the kind of person to complete the game in the F1 car or a 1000HP Viper and think "I'm leet"...

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Skyler said:
I am more of a driver than anything else.. I drive with feeling and react to the car.. That gives me the ability to drive all cars to a good standard. I have raced among the best GT3 racers in the world and my times are not far off theirs... and I'm very happy with that because their times are positively perfect. I don't expect you've done anything like that, infact I suspect you're the kind of person to complete the game in the F1 car or a 1000HP Viper and think "I'm leet"...

We're still talking about the game right? Cos after all, thats all it is - a game. Take off your fire-proof overalls, release the strap on your crash helmet, and relax!

And remember - it isnt a real car :D

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
Hey it's a very good game and it's not like I'm going to get to drive half of those cars ever anyway :)

Bodhi

Skyler said:
Weight may well provide more grip on wet roads but it also increases the distance required to brake, which is especially noticable on slippery roads as the car will carry more momentum if sliding. The AE86 can be feathered around nicely in the wet due to it's light weight, however as I have said in previous threads it's lack of overall power means that taking corners well is more important. Of course 4WD is superior in the wet, MR may well be too in some cases, but I was talking about FR. FF is quite simply dire in the wet, and if used correctly FR can become practically as good as 4WD. Any car can spin very easily in the wet with poor control, the AE86 is no exception, if anything it's easier to spin because it has a severe lack of downforce. Stable acceleration is necessary for any FR car in the wet and failing to do so will result in wheelspin, that's pretty simple to avoid.

I don't use a 1000HP Viper and have no wish to do so. The Viper is a heavy car with harsh handling. I can drive the Viper fine and achieve great laptimes with it but I don't enjoy driving it, too much care must be taken in the corners to keep it behaving correctly.

The Viper is far more of a challenge than the insipid Toyota Corolla AE86. Short of an MX-5 I don't think there is an easier car to drive in the game. On all but the tightest corners, it requires little more than a dab of the brakes to get the nose turned in, then back on the power to exit with a flourish of opposite lock. It's a very simple challenge with very little reward - with none of the adrenaline rush of the faster cars. Try a similar approach with the Viper and you'll be in the Armco. Yet the reward with the Viper is a seriously hot lap time and a grin from ear to ear.

So tell me again, why are slower cars harder? In any car, any mistakes and you haven't done a good time. So how does the extra power help?

Oh and you also seem to disagree with just about every motorsport engineer on the planet. So how are you right and them wrong then?

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Id flatten every single on of ya in my 2000+bhp Speed 12 so stop arguing like girls. Rain and all.

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
If you don't see the joy in driving the AE86 then don't bother talking about it. As for the Viper, it's an overweight lump of American metal which handles akin to a brick with an FR drivetrain...

... and Doomy... the Speed 12 in GT3 can only be tuned up to around 1800HP and I bet you won't be able to corner it nearly as well as most other cars, even the Zonda outcorners the Speed12... Polyphony didn't really replicate the Speed12 in it's true light unfortunately...

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Skyler said:
If you don't see the joy in driving the AE86 then don't bother talking about it. As for the Viper, it's an overweight lump of American metal which handles akin to a brick with an FR drivetrain...

... and Doomy... the Speed 12 in GT3 can only be tuned up to around 1800HP and I bet you won't be able to corner it nearly as well as most other cars, even the Zonda outcorners the Speed12... Polyphony didn't really replicate the Speed12 in it's true light unfortunately...

Its been a while but im sure i got it past 2k bhp. And as for handling its amazing, just gotta drive gutsily. When laguna seca becomes a breeze in the speed 12 you know youve near enough mastered it.

I remember sellotaping/blutacking/minstrel the x button down for the oval endurance race and coming back 1hr later having won it by a country mile. And thats no word of a lie.

Bodhi

Doomy said:
Its been a while but im sure i got it past 2k bhp. And as for handling its amazing, just gotta drive gutsily. When laguna seca becomes a breeze in the speed 12 you know youve near enough mastered it.
It's a very similar story with the Viper. It's a bit heavier and a bit more reluctant to turn into tight corners but hey, that's what the handbrake is for. If it's good enough for Swedish Rally drivers it's good enough for me. But apparently, an underpowered Toyota is more fun. I know you pays yer money and all that bit it's a Corolla.

P.S I'll take anyone on round test course. Unless you can do 1000kph+ you don't stand a chance.

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
Bodhi said:
P.S I'll take anyone on round test course. Unless you can do 1000kph+ you don't stand a chance.

Wheelie bug or Hybrid hm ? :p

I'm not surprised you said Test Course though, I guess that's your thing, drag racing in bricks ;p

Bodhi

Not really, lapping round Test Course is nearly as much fun as driving a Corolla.

Nah my backyard is either Laguna Seca or Grand Valley. Both of which the Viper gets round excellently. Which is weird, they seem a bit twisty to get a brick round quickly. Guess there must be a knack to driving one fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom