Greatest Briton ??!

T

Turamber

A new series is beginning this week on UK Television, discussing who is the greatest Briton of all time. For your edification a list of contenders is given below:-

Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Winston Churchill
Oliver Cromwell
Charles Darwin
Diana, Princess of Wales
Queen Elizabeth I
John Lennon
Horatio Nelson
Isaac Newton
William Shakespeare

As you can see the list contains many famous names. But how the hell did Princess Diana get on that list? Correct me if I am wrong but her main claim to fame is having an eating disorder and throwing herself down the stairs... ! :rolleyes:

O

old.tRoG

because... (and excuse me if you are offended.. but i really don't care :p) english [insert random profanity]s, [insert random word describing sexual organs]heads etc. etc. who actually like the royal family think she is nice. and she helped those kiddies in that place with the landmines.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel - Who the hell? :)
Winston Churchill - Too fat
Oliver Cromwell - Too posh
Charles Darwin - Too strange
Diana, Princess of Wales - She's a royal ffs! (Although not as royal as the one below)
Queen Elizabeth I - Look up.
John Lennon - I think we have a winner.
Horatio Nelson - Who the hell? :)
Isaac Newton - Too smart
William Shakespeare - This guy made english one of the most boring classes in school ever. Which was a shame since i really liked english.

B

Brinx

Brunel was a great engineer, he made bridges, trains, tunnels, ships etc etc. Though it scares me that you don't know who Nelson is :) Think of a certain column in London..

O

old.tRoG

remembered about 5 seconds after posting and couldn't be bothered hitting edit.

the Horatio bit threw me off there ;)

D

Danya

cromwell was too posh? he overthrew the damn monarchy :p

O

old.job

Please :rolleyes:

WTF is Diana doing up there as candidate for greatest Briton,
just a bimbo that married for fame and fortune, she was just too thick too realise what was really going on. :)

Trog what's wrong with the Queen ,I thought all Scots loved the royals ?

(Pictures Trog as exploding pressure cooker).

Don't worry Scotland's safe from the English now( unless of course we run out of trees)

S

SilverHood

Isambard Kingdom Brunel

Nah

Winston Churchill

Nah

Oliver Cromwell

hmmm, maybe

Charles Darwin

hmm, maybe

Diana, Princess of Wales

Whats she doing here?

Queen Elizabeth I

hmm, maybe

John Lennon

nah

Horatio Nelson

Defo not, he bombed my hometown some 100 years ago

Isaac Newton

This bastard means I have to study physics at school

William Shakespeare

Jesus, every kid going to school/college in the UK hates this guys guts.... Romeo and Juliet for my SAT's, and MacBeth for my GCSE's.... the pain, the pain

That leaves:
Oliver Cromwell
Charles Darwin
Queen Elizabeth I

Lets look at thier achievements:

Oliver Cromwell: overthrew the monarchy (good), civil war (so so), made my history lessons slightly interesting (good), failed to keep royalty from power (bad)

Charles Darwin: Theory of evulution, went against the catholic church (good), made biology slightly interesting (good)

Queen Elizabeth I : Pissed of catholic church (good), sank a fleet filled with spanish blokes (so so), and, ehm, didn't do anything else really (bad).

So, queen lizzy is out of there.... leaving Darwin and Cromwell......

who is it gonna be

O

old.tRoG

Spice Up Yoor Life!!!11

cromwell wins it silverhood ;)

and whats wrong with the catholic church? :p

im not really religious... hell, the last time i went to church i fell asleep and got scowled at by an 80-yr old when she woke me up to get past for the wafers and booze.

S

SilverHood

catholic church is evul.... they are money grabbing scum bags with no sense of morality :p

Look back at the history of europe.... find that 90% of conflicts involved the Roman church

I have nothing against catholics, but I do have something against the catholic church ;)

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Greatest Briton must be...
benny.jpg

O

old.Gombur Glodson

Argh!
/em runs away crying and screaming.

S

SFXman

What are you talking about, Macbeth is excellent!

T

Tenko

From the top ten I've already voted :)

Charles Darwin.

Pretty much created Biology as a science as compared to... say...collecting butterflys :p

Plus, and in my opinion the most important thing, he destroyed monotheistic religion in the western world.

Science IS god and Charles Darwin was the messiah.

Darwin is one of the greatest and most important human beings in history.

T

Turamber

Funnily enough Darwin believed in God, he thought God started the whole evolution thing off.

As for destroying westerners belief in the one God --- I don't think so matey :)

Still would rather see him win the poll than the Princess of PR.

If that silly woman wins the poll I shall emigrate!!

Funnily enough Beckham appears in the top 100 ... for every Darwin the UK appears to have 1 million brain doners.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

It's Benny Hill and the zounds of British tourists invading Spain every summer. :D

G

gengi

Gotta go with Darwin here, from the list.

Diana is on there because its a populist list, any idiot could nominate and obviously lots did :rolleyes: .

What John Lennon is on the list for is beyond me, he co-wrote some good songs and married a mad japanese woman.

The historical figures, Cromwell, QE1, Winston Churchill yes I can see they all contributed massively to Britain.

The scientist/engineer faction Brunel, Newton again huge in their contribution and probably worthy of their places.

Then the arts entry Shakespeare, probably a good choice.

And finally a military entry Nelson not a bad Admiral, but there are probably better choices out there for Britains greatest Military Leader.

Darwin of the top ten has probably had the most profound effect on the world, never mind just us in Britain, and as Tenko said helped enormously to pave the way for a secular society.

Well thats IMHO :D

Later

Gengee

S

SFXman

Charles Darwin most likely imho.
If any royal person wins I will laugh, if Beckham wins I will cry because that is ridiculous.

F

Flimgoblin

If beckham wins I'll be confused as to how he made it in there without being on the top 10 ;)

O

old.LandShark

I'd be going for Darwin or Newton. The philanthropists above are no better people than hundreds of others, merely better publicised.
Darwin achieved one of the first great triumphs of science over religiosity, Newton founded applied maths. Brunel's work would have been impossible without... well, not directly newton's work, but that crazy russian d00d with the equations and the bridges and shit, yeah! /woo! and he used newton... YEAH I HAD A POINT, HAH!
/em gets back in his box and hisses at passers-by

O

old.tRoG

i fell asleep at around number 23... it was so boOoOoOoOoring :p

and mrs. robinson's eyes/nose area began to look extremely strange after about 15 minutes, more so than it does in the weakest link... probably because we saw more of her last night.

O

old.Tohtori

Robin Hood!

Come on! He took from the rich and gave to the poor...poor!

It's like a char in DaoC running around giving enamels and plats to people just 'cause he wears green tights!

And he can shoot an arrow in half...

Robin Hood, definetly.

O

old.ivan

Ivanhoe ?

most fam russian person then would be Alexander I [i mean cmon legalized tobacco, opened a window to Europe {for people who have no idea of what that is.. its St Petersburg. he built it}, military/economical reforms] zis man is da one :)

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Ivanhoe... sounds like a male prostitute... har har

T

Tenko

Shucks!

I was hoping to enrage a few creationists with my slightly over the top promoting of Darwin :p

I wanted :flame:

Seems that the US Bible Belt don't read BW forums, they must know that it is the place of ULTIMATE EWUL!!

I can sleep sound at night knowing they're praying for us (or damning us to hell, I'm easy with either) :)

Seriously though, I rate Shakespear too. Really lads if reading it sucks see a film version, they are supposed to be acted you know :p

(I'd suggest seeing a play, but we are the internet generation and plays are soooooo 16th century)

O

old.tRoG

the last shakespeare i ever saw in film was a 30-minute cartoon of macbeth shown to me in school when i was 12 years old.

i never watched one after that torture... the memories... uuuugh....

*shudders*

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

The movies with Kenneth Brannagh are really good. Watched them all, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom