Graphics Cards

elisera

Fledgling Freddie
Ok, so my gfx card died on me last night in the middle of the ML5 pre-steps, what I want to know is what do you guys recommend as a new one?

I only have between about £50-100 max to spend and Id like to get as good value for my money as possible. So far I have been recommended the Sapphire Radeon 9500 (256mb).

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
The 9700 radeon pro is by far the best card in that range, it's £93 i think on www.overclockers.uk if you can spend £105 you can get a radeon 9800 pro which is even better and still a very very good card for games.

Farmacistu

Can't get enough of FH
ati

If u can spend bit m8 i reconmend the radeon 9800pro i just upgraded from an fx 5200 and with all details max aa 2x af 16x and trueform max options in toa screen was at ml6 with zerg and purely no fps only when theus got pets up came some short sec yell pfs rest UBER

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Got to agree 9800 pro if you can afford a little extra, 9700 pro if you can't. The 9600/9500 cards are reasonable enough too but you will get a longer lifespan out of your card if you get the 9800 pro.

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
Have a question altho its not related to the orginal posters question, but kinda on topic.

I've been looking for a nice graphics card, an upgrade. Been reading up alil, altho I'm not that sure on whats what atm, but does anyone know if the ATI X800 XL

Is it any good?
Is the price good for it?
Will it last a few years before I'm unable to play games on full gfx settings without lag?

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
The 800XL is a fantastic card, slightly behind the 6800GT but ahead of the 6800NU, it would last a few years for games definetly and can play any current game you throw at it very well.These type of cards require a decent psu and cpu though(2.5ghz or more i would say for p4 and athlon 2200+ at least) to get the best out of them.That price seems a bit high though because i am sure i seen it for £200-210.

elisera

Fledgling Freddie
Well guys I settled for a cheap 9600 as after looking about and seeing all the nice shiny new stuff out there I have decided to leave buying a more serious upgrade til later in the year when I know plan to pretty much gut my machine and start from scratch :D

Thanks for the advice though :) much appreciated

Kicks

Fledgling Freddie
elisera said:
Well guys I settled for a cheap 9600 as after looking about and seeing all the nice shiny new stuff out there I have decided to leave buying a more serious upgrade til later in the year when I know plan to pretty much gut my machine and start from scratch :D

Thanks for the advice though :) much appreciated

Solid card that though struggles with Catacombs areas like Abandoned Mines etc, was using that in my 2nd machine until recently when I upgraded my main to a 6800GT so my 2nd got my old 9700pro. The difference is v.noticable though from 9600 vs 9700pro so if you are only talking a few quid difference take the 9700.

elisera

Fledgling Freddie
The difference between the 2 was around £50 so thats what clinched it. To be honest even if the 9600 struggles a bit with Cata's I doubt I will notice since my last card was terrible! lol

But hey, while my choice may not be the best at least I had all the facts before I chose it :) Feel better for that

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
Ive been told by several ppl that 6600GT outdoes both x700 and 9700 series..even witnessed it in a few benchmarks. But tbh I dont think the difference today is that big. As long as its in the same money range both ATi and Nvidia are both good :)

/Dracus

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Dracus said:
Ive been told by several ppl that 6600GT outdoes both x700 and 9700 series..even witnessed it in a few benchmarks. But tbh I dont think the difference today is that big. As long as its in the same money range both ATi and Nvidia are both good :)

/Dracus

I just bought a 6600 GT upgraded from a TI4200 and omg...It's beautiful.

£120 or so off Ebuyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom