Graphical distortion

S

Summo

From time to time I get these graphical distortions. Gut feeling says its a hardware issue but I wanted to see if any of you lot had experienced a similar problem. This can occur in a game or just sitting at the login screen.

dist1.jpg

dist2.jpg

Ignore the wallpaper, but see the blue splotches that litter the screen. When I reboot, this often occurs:

dist3.jpg

It's weird. I've tried different graphics drivers but given that the distortion is evident in the boot-up screens I knew it would make no difference.

I don't think its temperature related as my systems records low temperatures, plus I have the side of the case off.

The graphics card appears to be seated firmly. I uninstalled it to blow out dust and fluff that had accumulated and reseated. I haven't uninstalled the CPU and fan yet as tbh its not something I'm looking forward to doing.

Anyone got any ideas?

Something I'll try is to use a different graphics card, I guess...

Specs:
Athlon 1.4GHz
GeForce 4 Ti4400
2 x 512MB SDRAM
ABIT KT7A-RAID

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

Have you overclocked the graphics card at all?

W

Will

It looks like a gfx card hardware problem. I can't really help any more than that though, you've checked all the obvious things, and you're already organising trying another gfx card.

S

Summo

Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi
Have you overclocked the graphics card at all?
Good question! No, I haven't.

Chars, Will. It looks like the graphics card, doesn't it. I was really hoping it wasn't. I'll pick up another from work and give it a go.

Thanks.

T

Testin da Cable

indeed. a mate had something very much like that and it turned out to be his video card's ram that was causing it. poor summo :(

B

Big G

Summo!

I had exactly the same problem with my Creative Labs GF4 Ti 4400, exactly the same corruption and i tried the things you have (reseating, blowing dust off).

I found that it eventually made my PC hang after a while, so i had no choice but to upgrade my gfx card - a 9800 Pro.

Now, the only thing i could find wrong with mine that you might want to check is a fuse on the back of the graphics card. You'll find it here (soz for the shit quality):

gf4.jpg

You can see the blob of solder at the top of that chip. When i first started getting corruption, this chip was covered in soot; as if it had been cooked (after all, it is a fuse). My dad is an electronic engineer, so he cleaned it up and bridged the fuse with a blob of solder which worked wonders. However, after about 5 minutes of Aquamark the corruption was as bad as ever. I took the card out and that surface mount fuse was cooked again. :(

You might have a different problem from me, but it's worth having a look since those screenies look exactly the same as my problems. Unfortunately, i dunno what has caused the fuse to go but i do know that you can buy replacements from RS or Farnell.

As i say, you might not have a problem with that fuse.

Give it a bash anyhoo

G

S

Summo

Heh-haay! This is why I posted my problem here. :D

At the moment I've plugged my monitor onto the second output, and so far there've been no problems, but that isn't conclusive.

I'll print out your pic and take a look next time I reboot.

Many thanks, Big G!

:)

S

Summo

Grnkh. It happened again and despite careful checking I couldn't see any components that looked burned.

I've sent an email to Gainward support, but I'm not risking the life of my first-born on a helpful response.

S

Summo

I've read about your troubles, Cask. C'mere, fella...

:fluffle:

B

Big G

Originally posted by Summo
Grnkh. It happened again and despite careful checking I couldn't see any components that looked burned.

I've sent an email to Gainward support, but I'm not risking the life of my first-born on a helpful response.

Bah, soz Summo I'm out of ideas then. :(

S

smurkin

The middle screenshot looks like electrical disturbance - mains arcing on a main the your psu is plugged into (eg bad plug wiring somewhere)....if there is associated audio disturbance...I would think along those lines.

Thing is...youd expect a smell of burning and popping switchboard fuses :/

S

Summo

Sounds reasonable, Smurkin. My PC is plugged into a UPS so the power supply should be nice and constant. I'll try plugging it directly into the mains though, just in case.

S

Summo

Mains power made no difference and am now on my old ATI card from years ago. Only does 800x600.

Grnk!

C

.Cask

Oh right you put in what card it is. How come I didn't see that before. Err...

What?

W

Wij

Your card must be b0rked. Get with the programme and go ATI like all the cool d00ds are now :)

That way the only graphical glitches you get will be driver related ! \o/

(Bodhi isn't here to argue any more but I have an ATI now and fast as it may be they STILL have driver problems :()

me -> :wub: <- Bodhi

M

MYstIC G

Can of compressed air & a serious internal clearout. Sounds stupid but I've solved many a similar problem with just those & it's a fuckload cheaper than a new GPU card.

S

Summo

I've got my can of compressed air and I couldn't clean the card more thoroughly unless I dropped it in a bath of Domestos.

If anyone's following this, I've put the dodgy card back in and have run it at 1024x768 and currently 1152x864 and it seems to be able to cope with these resolutions okay.

Weirdness.

Users who are viewing this thread